Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 08:02 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,259,556 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me anything about Assisted Living places from your own knowledge of people who are in one? Expense and services? I understand that Medicare does not cover Assisted Living; yet I hear things that make me wonder how the average person would manage.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 09:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Around here it's now averaging about $5,000/month. We had my mother-in-law in one at age 83, an Adult Family Home which is generally less expensive but also more like a family home, with only 4-6 patients. Her income was Social Security, about $800/month. This was back about 2002 when they were charging $3,500. We paid for it while applying for Medicaid through the state. That process was a nightmare, proving that she had no other income, savings or assets. She was allowed to keep one small life insurance policy to cover burial, and $50/month from her SS check for incidentals like toothpaste, newspapers, etc. The rest of her SS check went to the home, and the state kicked in the balance. With 6 beds, they only allowed one Medicaid patient since they had to agree to a lower amount ($2,800). We paid for things like a more comfortable chair, a TV, and cable service. The people there provided 3 meals a day plus snacks, help with bathing and transportation to doctors when needed. They did have a doctor come in once a month but also the wife was a licensed nurse. She ended up staying there until age 95 when she passed and enjoyed it the whole time, despite the frequent "turnover."

How we found this place:

The last time she fell and couldn't get up in her apartment, the hospital had us talk to a social worker nurse. She provided us a list of consulting nurses and we selected one who charged us $250. For that she interviewed my MIL, asked what she liked and didn't like as far as setting, people, building size, food, and more. Then she went around and visited some adult family homes and recommended 3 of them that were the most suitable and had an opening. We went and visited them, and made our selection.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Around here it's now averaging about $5,000/month. We had my mother-in-law in one at age 83, an Adult Family Home which is generally less expensive but also more like a family home, with only 4-6 patients. Her income was Social Security, about $800/month. This was back about 2002 when they were charging $3,500. We paid for it while applying for Medicaid through the state. That process was a nightmare, proving that she had no other income, savings or assets. She was allowed to keep one small life insurance policy to cover burial, and $50/month from her SS check for incidentals like toothpaste, newspapers, etc. The rest of her SS check went to the home, and the state kicked in the balance. With 6 beds, they only allowed one Medicaid patient since they had to agree to a lower amount ($2,800). We paid for things like a more comfortable chair, a TV, and cable service. The people there provided 3 meals a day plus snacks, help with bathing and transportation to doctors when needed. They did have a doctor come in once a month but also the wife was a licensed nurse. She ended up staying there until age 95 when she passed and enjoyed it the whole time, despite the frequent "turnover."

How we found this place:

The last time she fell and couldn't get up in her apartment, the hospital had us talk to a social worker nurse. She provided us a list of consulting nurses and we selected one who charged us $250. For that she interviewed my MIL, asked what she liked and didn't like as far as setting, people, building size, food, and more. Then she went around and visited some adult family homes and recommended 3 of them that were the most suitable and had an opening. We went and visited them, and made our selection.

Thank you. That is exactly the picture I was getting from what I read. And for all this they literally give up their freedom of action. That might be fine for someone who actually needs daily medical care - serious medical care - but not otherwise. And the whole family gets hit with costs that maybe they can't afford either. I appreciate your answer.

Old 03-03-2020, 11:48 AM

13,131 posts, read 21,016,446 times
It could be a real challenge trying to decide between Independent Living versus Assisted Living. Know many who had more problems and heartache just trying to decide on the need while maintaining some personal independence.

Old 03-03-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
It could be a real challenge trying to decide between Independent Living versus Assisted Living. Know many who had more problems and heartache just trying to decide on the need while maintaining some personal independence.

Question, please" Other than what we who live in our own homes independently, is there a special type of "home" called Independent Living, as there is the "a
Assisted Living" type? In other words, is there another step between owning or renting a house/apartment and living privately with no interference and Assisted Living?

Gee! I hope that makes sense! Thanks. Hazel

Old 03-03-2020, 12:34 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,006,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Can anyone tell me anything about Assisted Living places from your own knowledge of people who are in one? Expense and services? I understand that Medicare does not cover Assisted Living; yet I hear things that make me wonder how the average person would manage.

Thank you.
My 97-year-old mother is in assisted living in a small town in PA; I think it costs her about $5500 per month. They do not accept Medicaid patients where she is. My siblings and I are very happy with the facility where our mother is living. We sold her house to pay for her assisted living.

You asked how the average person manages. The short answer is if they don't qualify for Medicaid, they don't get assisted living. They have to hire help, or maybe family members help out.

Old 03-03-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
My 97-year-old mother is in assisted living in a small town in PA; I think it costs her about $5500 per month. They do not accept Medicaid patients where she is. My siblings and I are very happy with the facility where our mother is living. We sold her house to pay for her assisted living.

You asked how the average person manages. The short answer is if they don't qualify for Medicaid, they don't get assisted living. They have to hire help, or maybe family members help out.

Thank you. Nice to have family who can or will help.

Old 03-03-2020, 01:47 PM

13,715 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Quote:
Question, please" Other than what we who live in our own homes independently, is there a special type of "home" called Independent Living, as there is the "a
Assisted Living" type? In other words, is there another step between owning or renting a house/apartment and living privately with no interference and Assisted Living?

"Independent Living." One relative went there before assisted living (she spent maybe her last 9 months in AL.) My Grandfather also lived in Independent Living for a year or two before he passed.

She initially had a car when she was there, though eventually she couldn't drive anymore. It was an apartment, and residents were required to put something on their doors by late in the AM to let staff know they were out of bed and ok, and bring it in at night before a certain time, to let staff know that they were still mobile, etc...

The apartment had a kitchen, but I doubt either one ever used anything other than the coffee maker or the microwave, they served lunch and dinner in the dining hall.

I believe maid service was provided every week or two but I'm not certain on that. They had laundry available for residents to do themselves, or they could pay extra and have it done (it was actually very cheap for that service.)

Old 03-03-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
"Independent Living." One relative went there before assisted living (she spent maybe her last 9 months in AL.) My Grandfather also lived in Independent Living for a year or two before he passed.

She initially had a car when she was there, though eventually she couldn't drive anymore. It was an apartment, and residents were required to put something on their doors by late in the AM to let staff know they were out of bed and ok, and bring it in at night before a certain time, to let staff know that they were still mobile, etc...

The apartment had a kitchen, but I doubt either one ever used anything other than the coffee maker or the microwave, they served lunch and dinner in the dining hall.

I believe maid service was provided every week or two but I'm not certain on that. They had laundry available for residents to do themselves, or they could pay extra and have it done (it was actually very cheap for that service.)

Ah yes. Now I know what you mean. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2020, 03:55 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,889,091 times
Quote:

My sister's in-laws live in a senior community that has options for transitioning to assisted living and to memory care later on if needed. They chose that because they didn't want to suddenly have to make decisions if one of them became incapacitated. They had to purchase the condo and they pay a monthly fee. They sold their house to move there, which helped to offset some of the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living