Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 12:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,825 posts, read 81,804,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
if you add money to the CC bill at the register for takeout, how is that money distributed?
This morning before starting work my wife and I decided to spoil ourselves and get a nice breakfast. Our favorite local restaurant has online ordering and pay, with tip selections of 0-20% to be added automatically depending on what you select. They specify that it's shared among all employees on duty that day. In this case our bill for 2 meals was $28 and we did a 20% tip. Their system emailed me after about 2 minutes with the time when it would be ready (about 15 minutes) and when we got there it was ready and bagged (and when we got home and ate, it was delicious!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 09:24 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,655,153 times
I would like to know what they are getting paid now. I usually do not add to the tip when I pick up waffle house because they add a 10% mandatory tip for take out. And when I go there, my item is $3.29. But I need to ask, because if they are still getting less than minimum wage and surviving on tips, I will throw a dollar on that.

In usual times when they are making their money off all the dine in people, I would rather keep my $1.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:38 AM

8,556 posts, read 6,981,108 times
No. And I notice restaurants around here are cutting back portions and raising prices on take out.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:18 AM

302 posts, read 183,900 times
We ordered pizza last night and added 20% to the credit card charge, assuming that the tip would be divided up at the end of the shift. I have always tipped for carry-out in the past, but less than 20%. Have found that we enjoy carryout. We can dine in the comfort of our homes and don't have to pay exorbitant prices for beer and wine.

Old 05-23-2020, 01:21 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,832,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am a tipper but I don't buy food at any of the types of places you mentioned in the first place. But I am curious--how would you tip someone at a drive-through window? Just tell them to keep change? Hand them extra cash? Tell them to put it on a card? Just wondering about the mechanics of this. (Seriously, it has been years since I went through a drive-through!)
Many have tip jars.

If you pay by card, you can add a tip, just as you would if you sat at a table.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:49 PM

1,149 posts, read 940,219 times
I do now since they are not getting as much and servers are not making tips. Never tipped for takeout before since they were actually not providing a service, as a server would who makes way less. Typically there are employees how work takeout and make at least minimum wage and servers who make way less, since wages are based on tips.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:13 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,571,797 times
I honestly don't tip for pickup period.

The issue of the server not getting tips shouldn't be an issue, as the servers are laid off, and all that's left is the back of house cooks & managers with one person running the register.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:23 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,108,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happly retired View Post
tippers do you dip the drive thru window at mickey D's or the doughnut store or starbucks?

i never tip on any take out food - they are getting paid to package and give you your food- tipping is out of control with tip jars next to every register - i can afford to tip but its just bugs the hell out of me to tip someone to pour a cup of coffee and give me change!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am a tipper but I don't buy food at any of the types of places you mentioned in the first place. But I am curious--how would you tip someone at a drive-through window? Just tell them to keep change? Hand them extra cash? Tell them to put it on a card? Just wondering about the mechanics of this. (Seriously, it has been years since I went through a drive-through!)
I am with MQ on this. I don’t think I have purchased from McDonalds, BK, KFC or similar in 15+ years. Very occasionally Starbucks, but I honestly don’t remember the last time I went through s drive-through. Maybe some time in the late 90s?

I don’t remember them having a tip option on credit cards, so I guess I would not leave a tip.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:07 PM

5,803 posts, read 4,774,322 times
I guess I can understand tipping staff on take-out orders in states where they make only $2.13 per hour, but I live in CA, where there is no lower "tipped wage". Every employee makes a full wage. Min wage in CA is currently $13 per hour, and will be $14 next year, and $15 the year after that.

I don't feel the need to tip somebody who is making $15 per hour just because they put my food in a bag or rang up my order.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:19 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,655,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
I honestly don't tip for pickup period.

The issue of the server not getting tips shouldn't be an issue, as the servers are laid off, and all that's left is the back of house cooks & managers with one person running the register.
In restaurants, the servers are the 'cashiers'. I answered my own question about Waffle House. It's a server taking orders and bagging up togo food.

Normally the 10% they auto-charge is sufficient, but the poor girl is now working for drastically reduced pay even if they moved her to minimum wage. She usually would be earning tips from diners who can come in and sit down. Her bills match her usual pay, and unlike her laid off co-workers, she isn't collecting from unemployment and watching Netflix. Irony: when I asked about lay offs she said many who were were crappy anyway. So the best employees are working for very little and the worst are getting regular unemployment plus the 600/wk from the feds to do nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living