Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 01:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,825 posts, read 81,804,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I would go stir crazy from that. The $120 Florida state parks annual pass is a screaming deal for us- we hit multiple parks every weekend and know every good and relatively lightly used trail within a two hour drive from home at this point.
Saturday we went on one of our typical Covid adventures . . .we drove 45 miles to Marysville, WA, stopped for coffee drinks at Dutch Bros., then on the way back went via Snohomish where we stopped at the Arby's drive-thru and ate lunch in the car in the Home Depot Parking lot. Getting out of the house safely for a couple of hours is not too hard, and it makes life in a pandemic a lot more bearable.

Old 03-01-2021, 01:42 PM

3,324 posts, read 1,805,581 times
We took our first stimulus checks and knocked $1200 off our credit card debt, paid off my truck loan and any extra we have goes to paying down our credit card debt. We did receive an offer for a 0% balance transfer and took advantage of that as well. by summer we'll have paid off near $9000 of debt and be debt free. If the gubbermint comes thru with the next round of stimulus checks we'll have a tidy sum of cash available. Its hard not to spend, but we've got no place to go and nothing to do so we just keep stashing money in the bank.

The pandemic forced us to set a fair amount of our income aside so I guess we've been lucky.

Old 03-01-2021, 01:53 PM

26,483 posts, read 46,817,211 times
It is greater now for certain, HVAC replacement for the house last year cut into savings, as I wasn't fully planning on replacing it at the time.

Old 03-01-2021, 04:54 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,671,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I would go stir crazy from that. The $120 Florida state parks annual pass is a screaming deal for us- we hit multiple parks every weekend and know every good and relatively lightly used trail within a two hour drive from home at this point.
Eh, I don’t really care. I never understand why people are bothered by being home, I mean I have a full home gym so it’s not like there’s any lack of activity or fitness involved with it. During about 6-7 months of the year I’d swim every day virtually, which is fun, gets me some sun and outside. We have went on occasional walks, at two parks, and that’s nice but I have no particular desire to do that every week. Even if there wasn’t a pandemic, I rarely leave the house. There just isn’t good reason to do so generally speaking. It needs to be something exciting, something special, otherwise I have better things at home. That’s one reason I moved to Vegas is so there would be more exciting things out the door because in most cities there’s truly no reason to leave the house 99% of the time with the boring crap they call entertainment lol. But now we’ve been stuck as boring as any city because of the pandemic.

Old 03-01-2021, 07:37 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,941,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Saturday we went on one of our typical Covid adventures . . .we drove 45 miles to Marysville, WA, stopped for coffee drinks at Dutch Bros., then on the way back went via Snohomish where we stopped at the Arby's drive-thru and ate lunch in the car in the Home Depot Parking lot. Getting out of the house safely for a couple of hours is not too hard, and it makes life in a pandemic a lot more bearable.

We go fancy with our car picnics- Whole Foods is about the only place around here that enforces their posted mask rules and at least once a week we get sandwiches/wraps/sushi from their takeout area. And as we eat our sandwiches and sushi in our car, we look around and there are often a dozen other families having their own car picnics in the Whole Foods parkign lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Eh, I don’t really care. I never understand why people are bothered by being home, I mean I have a full home gym so it’s not like there’s any lack of activity or fitness involved with it.

I actually really love my smart treadmill, both because I love the programs that come with an iFit subscription and that so many of the 'outdoor' augmented reality workouts are in so many great places around the world. But for me it's no substitution to actually getting out of the house and being somewhere interesting.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:44 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,025,685 times
Yes indeed. My income has almost doubled and we can't spend it. The husband and I both increased our retirement contributions as much as possible and then we just keep dumping the rest into savings. We've already met most of our 2021 financial goals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living