Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 12:26 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,390,269 times

Advertisements

We have drastically cut our spending during the pandemic, not by choice. Usually we take summer vacations to see family, eat out at more restaurants, drive a lot more and thus have higher gas and maintenance costs.

Since we stay in the house most of the week, our regular expenses have fallen drastically. I'm paying month end bills like the credit cards, etc., and the balances are all much lower than before the pandemic.

We were planning to buy a new car to replace a 20 year old car that is near the end of its life, but have put it off since that old car still runs fine and works perfectly for driving the dozens of miles per week we need vs the hundreds of miles previously.

I believe there are a number of households where savings has gone way up compared to prior to the pandemic.

There is a lot of pent up demand (we will travel when it's safer to do), and cash saved up by households that could be unleashed once we get past this virus, I feel.

One of the biggest lessons from this pandemic is how much money we spent without thinking about it, such as transportation costs, travel costs, entertainment costs (gosh I miss going to the movie theater), mundane every day costs like fancy clothes for work, etc. We spend so much money just to maintain the status quo..it's been pretty enlightening how we can save a lot more money by saving on daily commuting and other mundane activities.

That is perhaps why retirement can be a savings bonanza since retirees have far less daily expenditures than regular working folks.

Old 08-09-2020, 12:42 PM

107,289 posts, read 109,648,178 times
New worth shot up as investments took off .....we have not cut spending ..we just spend on different things

Old 08-09-2020, 12:47 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,390,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
New worth shot up as investments took off .....we have not cut spending ..we just spend on different things
My NW has shot up too..but I was more curious about daily expenditures and short term savings.

I saw your post on the perfect portfolio btw...good stuff. I'll have to look at re-organizing my portfolio when I get closer to retirement.

Old 08-09-2020, 12:56 PM

32,757 posts, read 48,442,035 times
Daily, about the same. I'm driving less, so the gasoline bill is lower.

I've got $1500 stimulus money tucked away in my savings account. So savings have grown by that much. I expect the feds to take it back in taxes, though.

Money is losing its value over time and this ill conceived stimulus is going to devalue it pretty severely, so the numbers in my savings account will stay the same, but the purchasing power will shrink.

The local government is going to have to pay for all the damage and expensive programs, so I am expecting the government to raise property taxes, thus dipping into my savings and reducing the amount that I have.

Old 08-09-2020, 04:12 PM

1,462 posts, read 983,716 times
Daily expenditures have gone way down. Spouse and I have plus kids have been home since March so not much driving. We only use 1 car and filled it up for the 4th time last week. We did not go on a spring break vacation or summer vacation so that has saved us thousands of dollars alone. I noticed my CC bills have been much lower as well. As a family we don't go out to eat since March, but we do get takeout 1-2 times a week, but still a lot cheaper than going to eat at restaurants. As much as it's nice to save money, I really do wish we were back to things before CV19 came around.

As others have mentioned, NW has gone up nicely.

Old 08-09-2020, 04:19 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,135,199 times
Investments aside, yes, absolutely. I'm spending less on a lot of things like travel. I'm spending a lot more on takeout and dining out in general as we help small businesses stay afloat. I'll spend it all once we get out of this mess for sure. Probably on much needed vacations.

Old 08-09-2020, 04:29 PM

107,289 posts, read 109,648,178 times
We are spending less eating out and travel but increased spending on hobbies .....we bought quite a few expensive new lenses for our photography hobby .....we also took some of what we didn’t spend and gave each of our 3 kids a distribution ...so we have not really seen a difference at all in the amount , just on where it goes

Old 08-09-2020, 04:30 PM

5,226 posts, read 3,162,325 times
The wife and I joke about our PPP — i.e. pandemic prosperity plan. The federal and state governments hand out money and we bank it knowing full well that this foolishness will blow up in their faces when the gravy train ends.

Old 08-09-2020, 06:33 PM

9,205 posts, read 6,359,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Daily, about the same. I'm driving less, so the gasoline bill is lower.

I've got $1500 stimulus money tucked away in my savings account. So savings have grown by that much. I expect the feds to take it back in taxes, though.

Money is losing its value over time and this ill conceived stimulus is going to devalue it pretty severely, so the numbers in my savings account will stay the same, but the purchasing power will shrink.

The local government is going to have to pay for all the damage and expensive programs, so I am expecting the government to raise property taxes, thus dipping into my savings and reducing the amount that I have.

Two things;

First, stimulus money was to be spent to stimulate the economy,
Second, if money is losing its value over time, you definitely want to spend the stimulus money before it's worth less.

Part of those expensive programs was giving people money. Clearly they overspent since not everyone needs the money and some people are saving it.

Old 08-09-2020, 06:48 PM

15,138 posts, read 32,443,826 times
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living