Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 09:04 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times

Advertisements

It’s cheap to buy a flimsy pair of shoes that gives you back, knee and foot pain and it’s frugal to spend more up front and save in medical bills later on.

I think a cheap person just looks at the initial cost and nothing else while a frugal person takes the big picture into account and spends carefully and accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2020, 02:04 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
This sums it up well. I just added one little tweak in red.
Agreed. I used to have one cheap friend. He didn’t agree to the concept of paying for trash pickup and would simply put his trash in others’ bins. I found that somewhat objectionable, but his worst trait was his “system” for prepartying- he’d drink as much as possible quickly before going to a bar where he’d have to pay and then DRIVE HIMSELF to the bar. He said it worked because he got to the bar before the alcohol worked its way into his bloodstream. I said I doubted it and was happy that I didn’t live in the same city with him. I am sure I recommended he get a cab or DD (this was before Uber).

Old 10-10-2020, 04:25 AM

566 posts, read 592,987 times
Frugal is: Saving up for the better product (by waiting longer)

Cheap is: Having no self restraint

Old 10-10-2020, 12:21 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,604 times
My husband says he is frugal. I say he's cheap.

Old 10-11-2020, 07:11 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Frugal is buying your honey some flowers at Costco. Cheap is going to the cemetery after a funeral and picking some up.
As an environmentalist I call that "recycling"

Old 10-11-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Frugal is making making efficient use of your money ..

Cheap is making efficient use of your money and hurting others in the process or saving money at their expense
Great quote!

Funny, I heard a story about a distant uncle this week.......

He had a 4mm house in a seaside town with no AC, so for a month or two in the summer the place was miserable. He had a theory that you could open windows in opposite ends of the house and get some type of cooling cross breeze. His kids laughed and said it was simply miserably hot. To retrofit AC into that old house was ridiculously expensive (despite him being rich enough to do it, he claims he didn't want to alter the historic home).

Funny story about a rich guy being a cheapskate!

Old 10-11-2020, 07:18 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Frugal is not wasting money and being smart...making your dollar stretch.
Cheap is buying crummy presents for your friends....like from Dollar Tree.

Remember, Red is for Mods.

Old 10-11-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It’s cheap to buy a flimsy pair of shoes that gives you back, knee and foot pain and it’s frugal to spend more up front and save in medical bills later on.

I think a cheap person just looks at the initial cost and nothing else while a frugal person takes the big picture into account and spends carefully and accordingly.
Great analogies!

I have a family member that made 100mm in cell phones before he was 40. He has never owned a boat, never owned a plane, usually only owned 2-3 cars at a time. He lives very nicely but not over the top, his one liner "I made my money slowly, I'm going to spend it even slower!"

Old 10-11-2020, 07:52 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Frugal is making making efficient use of your money ..

Cheap is making efficient use of your money and hurting others in the process or saving money at their expense
Great definition. Some thoughts I've had based on people I know/work with.

Cheap is spending dollars to save dimes. Guy I worked with -- car needed to be replaced. But he just kept fixing it, a thousand here, a thousand there. When it finally broke down the last time and he had to buy a "new" used car, he added up his bills and found in the last six months he'd spent more on repairs than the replacement car had cost.

Old 10-11-2020, 09:57 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,791,701 times
Frugal people go for value for money.

Cheap people pursue the lowest price at all costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living