Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 09:17 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
My wife and I used to go out to dinner with her good friend and husband. He would always want to pay with a credit card ( company) and then I would pay him for half the bill. He was always a cheap ass. I would add extra to a tip and he would sometimes leave less than his share. One time my wife met them out for a drink and the bar was serving dollar tacos. Yup, when the bill came he broke it down, adding the taco she ate, lol.
That's seriously cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2020, 07:22 AM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times
Please define this shopper. Two weekends ago one of our grocery chains had a 3 day sale (Friday through Sunday). Their Freschetta pizzas for $2.99. We meant to go buy a few or more than a few and did not.

For those who did buy some were they:
a. A frugal shopper.
b. An economical shopper.
c. A smart shopper.
d. A cheap shopper.

Old 11-26-2020, 10:05 AM

7,646 posts, read 4,596,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Please define this shopper. Two weekends ago one of our grocery chains had a 3 day sale (Friday through Sunday). Their Freschetta pizzas for $2.99. We meant to go buy a few or more than a few and did not.

a. A frugal shopper.
c. A smart shopper.
d. A cheap shopper.

If they are a normal consumer of frozen pizzas, and especially a normal consumer of Freschetta pizzas, they were smart shoppers. Tremendous savings can take place when a household needs are defined and then shoppers wait for the items to go on sale, buying enough to last until the following sale.

They were a frugal shopper if they normally buy a different pizza and saw this one was larger than their normal pizza with better quality and made the switch to take advantage of the greater utility at a lower price per unit cost.

They were a cheap shopper if they decided this frozen pizza was a substitute for a healthier and more nutritious meal they would have prepared instead, but saved money without accounting for the loss of nutrients.

An economical shopper can't be defined from a single transaction. An economical shopper is one that budgets their money properly to afford them a surplus (cash in > cash out) and then finds ways to improve upon that budget without scrimping on other items.

Old 01-16-2021, 03:50 PM

480 posts, read 316,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post

a. A frugal shopper.
c. A smart shopper.
d. A cheap shopper.

I buy specials too.

Sounds like Smith's grocery.

Old 01-23-2021, 08:31 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Frugal is following the 80/20 rule to get the best possible quality at the lowest price... finding that sweet spot, spending intelligently. Cheap is paying the lowest possible price and then being disappointed with the quality.

Recently I came up with another equation though... how many hours of research do I spend trying to find said item versus how much money could I make working overtime... if I can make more money on overtime I just go to work, and then pay more.

Road bikes and computers are two examples where spending less is a mistake, but you can way overspend if you want. Road bikes have really gone up in price since I bought mine in 2011. There's a lot of hidden inflation out there.

I admit I don't throw money around at sit down restaurants very much. To me that's a sign of irresponsible spending. My favorite eating is Chinese buffets, at lunch, for around $9-11 total per person. I remember 20 years ago Freshetta pizzas were still $5-6. The fact they're often on sale for $3-4 in 2020 is pretty amazing. I might change my tune on the restaurant thing going forward though. 2 hours of overtime for a nice meal that takes 2 hours or more of my time is not terrible, but lots of people at work are going out for drinks and food multiple times a week, blowing hundreds per month.

Old 02-10-2021, 02:25 PM

11,049 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It’s cheap to buy a flimsy pair of shoes that gives you back, knee and foot pain and it’s frugal to spend more up front and save in medical bills later on.

I think a cheap person just looks at the initial cost and nothing else while a frugal person takes the big picture into account and spends carefully and accordingly.
Agree. I will not stint on quality shoes (NOT fashion shoes) so they last and are comfortable. Like $100 to $250. But I'll get around-the-house clothes at Target, I don't care.

For other clothes, we get quality stuff at REI since that is our lifestyle.

But I actually find it fun and amusing to recycle/re-use foil, baking paper, printer paper, ziplocks, string, plastic bags or anything else that can be easily re-used. We pick up string on the beach and use it, sometimes.

We get the cheapest airfares so we can afford our overseas trips. But I'll get a $12 cocktail or 3, if we're someplace that has what we like. But it's an outdoor cafe, not a Michelin restaurant which holds no appeal for us.

I do take the hotel soaps since I figured I paid for 'em and they are a nice size for the bathroom sink, lol. But not the shampoo, heh. I need the good stuff---yeah, like the $25 stuff, 'cause I have to.

Just depends!

Old 02-13-2021, 01:58 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
Frugal is buying cheap TP, and using it sparingly.

Cheap is using someone else's TP, just after they used it.

Frugal is buying TP.
Cheap is reusing wash cloths as TP.

Frugal is buying cheap TP.
Cheap is stealing TP from public restrooms.

Frugal is buying cheap TP.
Cheap is not using TP at all.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:47 AM

613 posts, read 944,375 times
Re Freschetta pizzas: I don't think they're the best brand of frozen pizzas; but I'd buy a couple if they were on sale for $2.99--I've never seen them that cheap tho. "American Flatbread" is the best frozen pizza IMO, but usually they're too expensive--$8.99 each!--but occasionally I've found them on a "2 for 1" sale. Shaw's supermarkets has their own store brand of pizza that they put on sale a sometimes at $2.99--they're very good if you pick the right type/flavor.

Of course it ain't health food--I always feel guilty after eating one. Here's one review of frozen pizzas:

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation...rillist-nation

Old 02-18-2021, 09:01 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,119,023 times
Frugal is when you refrain from eating out.
Cheap is when you eat out and stiff the waitstaff.

Old 02-18-2021, 01:28 PM

376 posts, read 653,631 times
Frugal I'd say is I will eat out w/friends or coworkers sparingly (2x times a month maybe)

Cheap I'd say is I will NEVER go out to eat or drinks unless someone else is paying.

Frugal I'd say is the well-known you have to try it restaurant, ok I'll try it once.

Cheap is I will NEVER, ever go, because I refuse to pay and will only go if someone else pays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living