Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2022, 03:42 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bound2TN View Post
MQ801--interesting observations. I wonder how much of the frugality/stinginess is a product of one's life and how one grew up? I grew up during the tail-end of the Great Depression and really find it hard to watch some of the current practices, e.g. throwing out kitchen appliances because they don't "match," peoples' need to have the latest and greatest cell phones, etc., etc..
People always talk about that with that generation, and I have to say that on the whole I don't see it. The big commonality I see (saw, as more and more are departing this existential plane) is that they were a little more aggressive in laying into stocks of food.

One Grandmother (calling her Mary), who grew up on a farm in the depression, always had a stand-up side by side Freezer next to her dedicated stand up fridge. Her sister (I'll call her Edna) had a fridge/freezer in the kitchen, the one it replaced in the basement, and a chest freezer. They had another sister, (Phyllis,) who is cheap. Phyllis is cheap enough that she wouldn't talk much to her sisters that lived out of the area because she was too cheap to pay for the long distance. Even Phyllis had two refrigerators that I remember; one in the garage and one in the kitchen.

My other grandma also had the chest freezer/basement fridge/kitchen fridge.

My wife's grandparents: One had a second fridge in the garage, one had a second fridge in the basement and a basement freezer.

So...where did all this extra refrigeration capacity come from
if they didn't decide to replace (FULLY FUNCTIONAL) appliances at some point and demote one to garage/basement duty?

One can only assume that it happened when the kitchens were upgraded or an appliance died and needed replacing and they went for the set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2022, 03:54 PM

1,135 posts, read 612,624 times
I think I'm frugal. I live within my means. I never buy something for show, but for need and function.

I have to admit that I actually do need to budget because I NEVER buy things on credit and leave a balance (and then paying interest to the big banks for months).

Cheap is not buying what you need and trying to get it off people, etc for free.

I find that being forced to budget means I no longer buy things on a whim... oh, those jeans is on sale so I should buy it. Instead I know I have 6 pairs at home and don't even bother.

Living with less stuff actually is refreshing. So whenever you do buy something - it's so satisfying. You appreciate the item 10x more.

Less is more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living