Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 07:17 AM

12,407 posts, read 9,510,794 times

Advertisements

It might just be me, but I don't try to take as much as I possibly can. Whether it's not wanting to make the store lose too much money if they're in the position of losing money on a sale, or wanting to leave some items for other shoppers too, I basically just take what I need when I find a deal. I might take 2 or 3 instead of 1, but that's about the extent of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2021, 03:07 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times
Food Lion had a one day sale on Freschetta pizzas. $2.50 x 5 bought less 75 cents rebate on each from Ibotta and it was $1.75 per pizza. Down the road to Publix their Palermo was B1G1 less (2)$1 coupons and it was $1.74 per pizza. $12.23 for 7 pizzas and you can call it whatever you like. The savings lets us create some of own toppings like banana peppers, baby shrimp, green olives. If you don't care for frozen pizza then it's not a good deal. These will last until the next sale. Of our three grocery chains one of them has a pizza sale almost every week. Harris Teeter for example had their pizzas on sale $1.97 limit of four for VIC customers. We passed on that good deal in favor of Palermo and Freschetta.

With the high cost of Heinz 57 sauce we have started to buy the 5 ounce bottles at Dollar Tree. Teeter is often having Buy 2 Get 3 free sales on their soda or Pepsi or Coke. Often they have their brand of orange juice for 99 cents.
These deals repeat and we just feel we are taking advantage of a sale with no thought of stock piling.

Old 12-10-2021, 11:30 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Mueller Pasta on sale for $.79 and in the November 1, 2020 coupon inserts was a coupon to save 75 cents when you buy two boxes. And there is a store that doubles the value of the coupon.
Final costs as low as $.04.
Being economic, frugal, cheap, etc. how many boxes would you buy and why?
For me personally, I don't buy with coupons or in-store discounts unless it is a product and brand that I would still buy otherwise at full price.

But, for the sake of your question, I would purchase the amount that I think I (and/or my family) would reasonably eat within a reasonable amount of time like a year, two years, or however long *I* keep pasta.

Buying a boat load of pasta, or any product, simply because it is a good deal is not being frugal. Economic, maybe, cheap, yes, but frugal, nope. Whether you paid 4 cents each or not does not matter when you may ultimately toss it into the trash.

Old 12-10-2021, 01:21 PM

2,612 posts, read 928,732 times
Quote:
Mueller Pasta on sale for $.79 and in the November 1, 2020 coupon inserts was a coupon to save 75 cents when you buy two boxes. And there is a store that doubles the value of the coupon.
Final costs as low as $.04.
Being economic, frugal, cheap, etc. how many boxes would you buy and why?
If I ate pasta regularly or if I wanted to use it in my zombie apocalypse food storage, I would buy as many as I could. I dont really make much pasta and I prefer rice for my zombie apocalypse food storage but for that price I may load up.

Old 12-12-2021, 03:31 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
^^ Obviously though, everyone's load up is a different amount.
A single person with no kids vs a family with 6 kids for example.

I'm single with no kids. My brother had 10 kids over 22 years.
My stock up on almost anything is no where near his stock up.

I have a limit as to how much I'll stock up on a given item -- even at a ridiculously low price.
How much I'll stock up is drive by 1) will the item go bad before I can use it, and 2) do I have the room to store it.

I tend to stock up years woorth of non-perishables mainly: toilet paper, paper towels, toothpaste, soap, aluminum foil, plastic wrap, paper plates/cups/bowls.

However, even on non-perishable food, the most I'll stock up is a few months worth...like rice, pasta, pasta sauce, spices, chicken broth.

I've debated getting an extra freezer. That's the one storage capacity I wish I had more of: freezer space.
I just don't have the freezer space to buy more than a couple of weeks worth of frozen items. IF I did I'd buy frozen foods six months ahead.

I don't really hate to food shop. But if I could catch sales and get away with only doing it once every few months that would be fine with me. This every week thing gets on my nerves.....that's all.

Last edited by selhars; 12-12-2021 at 03:44 AM..

Old 12-12-2021, 08:37 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
......... Buy 2 Get 3 free sales on their soda or Pepsi or Coke. .......

I see Safeway advertising this. Do they really mean you get five of them for the price of two? Or is it a trick and they give you a third one when you pay for two.

Either way, I'm not buying, but I do notice that the price of one is more than double what I pay elsewhere.

Old 12-13-2021, 09:36 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I see Safeway advertising this. Do they really mean you get five of them for the price of two? Or is it a trick and they give you a third one when you pay for two.

Either way, I'm not buying, but I do notice that the price of one is more than double what I pay elsewhere.
Harris Teeter does this quite often, but the price of the two is always pretty high. Still it is usually a decent deal, IF you need FIVE. I rarely need 5 of anything LOL.

Old 12-13-2021, 09:42 AM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Harris Teeter does this quite often, but the price of the two is always pretty high. Still it is usually a decent deal, IF you need FIVE. I rarely need 5 of anything LOL.
You can actually use 5 coupons on a B2G3 free.
---------
Buy 2 Get 3 FREE details
You MUST buy 5 of the item to get the discount.
The limit 10 is per transaction, there is no limit for the entire week.
You CAN use coupons on all 5 items (within the rest of the coupon policy) as long as the total doesn't go below $0.00
----------

I'm glad we got the Freschetta for $1.75. The new sale is 2 for $10.

Old 12-13-2021, 04:00 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don't know why people keep talking about five of something.

Buy two, get one free -- is the same as three for the price of two. It's the same thing.

If it's a deal it's a deal whether you need five or not.

3 for 2 -- or 6 for 4....what difference does it make it's the same deal.

Old 12-13-2021, 07:50 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I don't know why people keep talking about five of something.

Buy two, get one free -- is the same as three for the price of two. It's the same thing.

If it's a deal it's a deal whether you need five or not.

3 for 2 -- or 6 for 4....what difference does it make it's the same deal.
Because you are getting FIVE.

When Teeter has a B2G3, you are getting FIVE. And the price is actually HIKED up. It's more than it normally is. It is certainly NOT the same thing.

And as I said, I rarely need FIVE of anything - if it is perishable I doubt I will use it before the throw-out date. It's not "3 for the price of 2". It's 5 for the price of 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living