Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 05:06 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times

Advertisements

A lot of times it just comes up on the payment screen. I feel like one time I was trying to purchase something at CVS and couldn’t because it wouldn’t get out of me pressing “no” not to round up. CVS seems to have a different option every week, and it gets annoying for people asking you to round up when you are picking up your prescriptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2022, 05:13 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Hmm, it doesn't happen everywhere. Can't recall ever having a vendor ask me this.

"No" is a complete sentence. "No thank you" is a nicer version of it. No further details necessary.
100% this!!! ^^^ but I do round up, sometimes.

Last edited by elnina; 05-07-2022 at 05:28 PM..

Old 05-07-2022, 05:15 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
A lot of times it just comes up on the payment screen. I feel like one time I was trying to purchase something at CVS and couldn’t because it wouldn’t get out of me pressing “no” not to round up. CVS seems to have a different option every week, and it gets annoying for people asking you to round up when you are picking up your prescriptions.
So far, the only place around here charity pleas like this come up on payment screens is the supermarket. "No" is still a one-click option. Sometimes someone programmed the screens more politely. Those offer "no thank you".

Old 05-07-2022, 05:22 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I wonder where the "round up" money really go... (and it seems to be going on for more than 10 years now)

But here is an explanation:
https://www.marketplace.org/2022/03/...ke-change/amp/

And apparently customers love it:
https://money.howstuffworks.com/chec...r-business.htm

Old 05-07-2022, 05:49 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
CVS is the only place I ever see this.

Old 05-07-2022, 06:56 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
I've never seen/heard it at a drive-thru before (not that I frequent them). And then the food poisoning incident. Made me wonder where the money is really going!

Old 05-07-2022, 07:12 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Hmm, it doesn't happen everywhere. Can't recall ever having a vendor ask me this.

"No" is a complete sentence. "No thank you" is a nicer version of it. No further details necessary.
One grocery store always asked to round up for "sick kids". I thought that was kind of vague, but I saw a sticker behind her that said they support Sick Kids so I figured it's a charity name.

Then I ended up with a person in my life admitted to the Princess Margaret Cancer Center in Toronto. All the hospitals are in a cluster in the same part of the city, and in huge letters on the exterior, one of them says "SICK KIDS". It's the Toronto Hospital for Sick Children. SickKids is a brand.

Old 05-07-2022, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
One grocery store always asked to round up for "sick kids". I thought that was kind of vague, but I saw a sticker behind her that said they support Sick Kids so I figured it's a charity name.

Then I ended up with a person in my life admitted to the Princess Margaret Cancer Center in Toronto. All the hospitals are in a cluster in the same part of the city, and in huge letters on the exterior, one of them says "SICK KIDS". It's the Toronto Hospital for Sick Children. SickKids is a brand.
Funny! That reminds me of an ice cream store in my town. It was widely believed that they made their own ice cream or at least blended it there, and it was highly valued for that reason. Then a truck was seen outside it: Homemade brand ice cream that you can buy in the grocery store. Evidently when asked, they told customers their ice cream was Homemade. They weren't lying (exactly).

I don't know whether or not they "round up" for sick kids or SickKids or any other charity.

Old 05-07-2022, 07:34 PM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
I work for a non profit, in a retail setting. We always ask at checkout if the customer would like to round up to benefit the charity, in addition to the profit from their purchase. I alway tell them it goes directly to the organization, as does the profit from their purchase. It’s usually a matter of a few pennies, most say yes, a lot say no. The pennies do add up, and every little bit does help.

As a consumer, if I’m paying cash, rounding up to the next dollar means no digging for change, no fistfull of change being given back to me.

Not a problem for me, either way.

Old 05-07-2022, 07:41 PM

A few pennies here, a few pennies there... They add up for the customer, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living