Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 05:34 PM

7,774 posts, read 3,798,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I just read about people pondering if they should tip flight attendants.
Yet another reason I could never go back to flying commercial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2024, 07:21 AM

5,576 posts, read 6,504,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
LOL! I'm going to use that one the next time I'm in a mood. My local supermarket does that.

I shop at a thrift store that is run by an animal shelter and I usually tell them to keep the change when I'm paying. At least the donation is going directly to the charity without a middleman.
My local Humane Society runs a thrift store and has limited hours to shop as it is staffed by volunteers. On Fridays they have a "sale". Don't know how that works as I just see the sign when I enter, but I never take advantage of it as I AM SHOPPING AT A CHARITY SO THE CHARITY MAKES MONEY TO FEED, HOUSE AND PLACE ABANDONED ANIMALS IN NEW HOMES. Why on earth would I, myself, want to save money on thrift store items where the profits go to the above?

I admit I am an "attention to detail" person and my brain works in a different thought pattern than most. So, if you are shopping at a place where the profits go to help animals, people, children, and the like, and the items are donated, please pay the listed price.

Old 01-21-2024, 01:16 PM

61,680 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I agree; I have no idea where this tipping culture (and gifting culture) came from, but I don't support it. If someone is being paid to do his job -- waitress, clerk, mailman, teacher, stewardess, etc. -- it's not my job to ALSO pay them. If they don't like the wages, they can find another job. So many do it now that when you don't, you look like a real Scrooge and risk retaliation. It's becoming extortion. Stop the madness!
If you really want to know - just click on the links provided on my post above yours.
It's "interesting" concept, especially the meaning behind it.

Old 01-21-2024, 10:32 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I agree; I have no idea where this tipping culture (and gifting culture) came from, but I don't support it. If someone is being paid to do his job -- waitress, clerk, mailman, teacher, stewardess, etc. -- it's not my job to ALSO pay them. If they don't like the wages, they can find another job. So many do it now that when you don't, you look like a real Scrooge and risk retaliation. It's becoming extortion. Stop the madness!
There is no need to tip someone who is paid at least a minimum wage. But "waitresses"? If you don't want to tip a waitress, then don't eat out.

Old 01-22-2024, 04:24 AM

4,840 posts, read 3,270,079 times
I'll usually round up if it's for a 'known' charity at a 'known' corporate store.

Old 01-22-2024, 06:48 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
There is no need to tip someone who is paid at least a minimum wage. But "waitresses"? If you don't want to tip a waitress, then don't eat out.
Waitresses should be paid at least minimum wage. I'm for doing away with tipping altogether. It's a slippery slope -- obviously.

Old 01-22-2024, 10:17 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
.........On Fridays they have a "sale"......... I never take advantage of it as I AM SHOPPING AT A CHARITY SO THE CHARITY MAKES MONEY TO FEED, HOUSE AND PLACE ABANDONED ANIMALS IN NEW HOMES. Why on earth would I, myself, want to save money on thrift store items where the profits go to the above? .........
That "sale" brings them in extra money every Friday and often it moves merchandise that has been less exciting to shoppers. It brings more people into the store. Most have limited space and must get the goods to flow through quickly. Believe me, they would not run the Friday sale if it didn't benefit them financially.

If you want to support the Humane Society, besides shopping at their store, donate good items for them to sell and in addition donate money or goods directly to the shelter. Perhaps find out what brand of cat food or dog food they prefer to fed and give them a pallet of it. Make a payment on their electric bill. Donate cash to their spay/ neuter program......

Lost of ways to support them in addition to paying full price at their thrift store.

Old 01-23-2024, 04:31 PM

5,576 posts, read 6,504,647 times
Thanks for explaining why they have sale items. I will still not take advantage of sale prices myself.

I do do what all you have mentioned. Even if I go in to shop and don't find anything to buy I donate to the "Donate Jar" on the counter at the check-out. I also have a bag at home that I add to from Christmas on of nice items and Holiday items that would sell during the Christmas shopping season. I add to the bag all year until November then donate it in time for the Christmas shopping season. Plus I am on their email list so when they have special events I attend or donate for the animals.

Old 01-23-2024, 06:00 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
I recently stayed at a state park lodge and found an envelope prominently displayed in my room with the message, "I hope you enjoyed your stay! If you appreciated your housekeeper and would like to leave a tip, her name is ___________." Not sure if this is sanctioned by the state, who is paying her.

Old 01-24-2024, 09:45 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
You're free to say no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living