Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2023, 05:17 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times

Advertisements

The topic is Tipping on Retail packages - NOT restaurants, etc. - there are tons of threads on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2023, 03:54 AM

1,601 posts, read 865,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Its New Years Eve.........6pm and I don't have a reservation anywhere.

I can walk into a dozen restaurants tonight at 7pm and be seated in 5 minutes or less.

Why?

Because I'm a great guy and tip well. I worked at 2 high end country club's as a high school kid, those who tipped well got everything under the sun, the cheapskates got ridiculed. I'm that guy who wants people to enjoy their job.

Met a brand new waitress the other night, she took a job at a friend's restaurant. Bianca was so pleasant, she got about a 40% tip. I really enjoyed chatting with her and she did a great job. So dinner cost me $100 instead of 85........who cares.
Anyone who doesn't tip is simply a cheapskate but then again my car is upfront, my drinks are served literally as I sit down, my golf clubs are waiting on the cart and I don't wait for tables.

If you can't tip then you can't afford to order/eat out whatever.

And I bet you're great with the ladies too. Sounds like you have a certain lifestyle where tipping is a frequent and necessary occurrence, and probably have the coin to be generous. Good for you.

That doesn't mean the topic at hand is wrong. Normies who eat out at a chain restaurant maybe once a week shouldn't have to deal with a POS terminal tip request at Chipotle after watching somebody make them a burrito for 2 minutes. It blurs the lines between expectation and real service, and because people are very weak willed these days, many just give in to it.

Old 01-06-2023, 09:30 PM

9,976 posts, read 5,672,289 times
I ordered Jimmy John's online this evening for a pickup order. The sneaky bastards have the tip set to 15% by default and you have to actually notice it and zero it out if you don't want to leave a tip. Which I don't when I'm the one who drove there to get the damn thing in the first place. Why is there even a tip option for pickup anyway? You're paid at least $13/hr to make sandwiches and you want 15% for handing it to me over the counter? GTFOOH with that mess.

Old 01-07-2023, 10:41 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I ordered Jimmy John's online this evening for a pickup order. The sneaky bastards have the tip set to 15% by default and you have to actually notice it and zero it out if you don't want to leave a tip. Which I don't when I'm the one who drove there to get the damn thing in the first place. Why is there even a tip option for pickup anyway? You're paid at least $13/hr to make sandwiches and you want 15% for handing it to me over the counter? GTFOOH with that mess.
I had that issue with a Mexican place. I was willing to tip, but not the amount they wanted, I zeroed it out and it erased my order. I didn't catch that the 20% tip had been added back in when I redid everything. Their loss. I don't have to eat there. They won't be getting any more of my business.

Old 01-07-2023, 01:32 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,157,568 times
If I didn't know about a company using Door Dash until the last minute, I won't tip if I don't want to. That is between the Door Dash employee and the company. People are doing a job to make money like anybody else. If they are unhappy with not making enough tips, they can always find another job like the rest of us. The negative consequence is that their service will no longer be available to me or there will be a drop in the quality of their service.

As far as counter service, I am empathetic. It is nice to recognize when a person shows up to a low-paying job and maintains the same quality service throughout the day. I always hit "no" for giving a tip, but always have cash on hand. If the service is fast and professional, then yes, I tip. That is true for carry-out.

Old 01-08-2023, 09:09 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,482,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I tip 10% on carry out orders from full service restaurants because there’s typically a waiter who has to take time away from their tables to package up my food.

I haven’t tipped counter service ever since I saw the tip jar out at a self-service frozen yogurt place and it was like ‘the madness must stop now’.
I'm sorry, but I have to make a call to place my order, get in the vehicle and drive down there, walk in and pick up my order, I'm not tipping!

Even if just walk in, place my order and wait somewhere near by and still pick it up myself.

Even I am driving near it and stop in on whim, place order, wait, pay & pick it up ... sorry no, not tipping.

Pretty much the cooks complete the Togo order, and the host/tess brings it out to me.
The host/ess is paid a full wage (minimum or not) just for the losses odds and ends up front.

I don't consider a "gofer" or go-between between me and kitchen.

But maybe you have different restaurants than we have here.

Best

Old 01-09-2023, 06:58 AM

43,055 posts, read 18,231,767 times
I only tip at sit down restaurants. I zero out anything else.

But as long as people are tipping for everything then it will continue. The apps are notorious for adding that pre-defined tip to your order. The reason....well they had to put it in boxes/cartons for you to take home.

Old 05-19-2023, 11:16 AM

927 posts, read 758,082 times
South Florida. The server comes to your table with the handheld machine and tells you the bill, asks how much you want to tip. Not mentioning that the tip has already been included on the final price of the bill. And the Smokey Bones kept giving us the bill with extra stuff we didn't order.

Old 09-15-2023, 04:29 PM

7,752 posts, read 3,785,899 times

Old 09-16-2023, 07:34 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
I buy auto gas in NJ, the last state to still mandate that gas station attendants pump your gas for you. (Live in PA but in Jersey a lot, and gas there is cheaper sometimes.)

And I have recently started tipping those attendants. Nothing big, Just one or two dollars rounding up the tab.

Why?
I've been feeling blessed lately. I always have been. But in these days of so many people in dire financial and health straits, I'm really just feeling so fortunate, that....I just feel led to bless someone else.

Fortunately, I'm doing well enough financially that tipping the person who is standing out in the weather, pumping my gas -- so I don't have to -- that I just feel I won't miss that one or two bucks.

Do I tip at Panera..or the frozen yogurt place..or fast casual pizza place?. Usually not. 99% of the time not. But might I do it...every. once. in. a. while? Maybe. (Once a year?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living