Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2022, 04:06 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,010,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
The other couple suggested we each leave a 20% cash tip on the table ($35 per couple). For what? This is a buffet. I didn't think she either earned or deserved a 20% tip at a buffet.
So, what did you tell the other couple and what did you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2022, 06:11 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have never used door dash, Uber Eats, Instacart or any other delivery service, if I want food to go I go get it. We get deliveries of orders from Amazon, car parts suppliers and others including Ebay almost every day, delivered by the mail carrier, Amazon driver, Fedex or UPS. None of them could ever solicit a tip, because they just drop it on the porch (or mailbox) and leave. I have never seen any online retailer's "cart or basket" with an option for a tip. Now I would have tipped a couple of times when the item I got from Amazon was heavy, like the gas powered generator, pressure washer or window AC. I'm just not about to leave money at the door for a porch pirate to snatch up, and by the time Amazon texts me that it's delivered the drivers are gone.
*I know I’m responding to an old post, but just am now reading this.

I was always the same way, but did start using DoorDash a lot during the start of the pandemic. DoorDash, Instacart, Uber Eats, etc really took off at the beginning of the pandemic. Many people (including myself) were afraid to simply go into an establishment to even pick up an order. These drivers also implemented contactless delivery so they would just place it at your door. It became very convenient for people who were afraid, so the service took off. And not unexpectedly, they definitely made tipping front and center. DoorDash defaulted to a “suggested tip” in addition to the delivery service. Given that early on during the pandemic I was afraid to go out, I felt they we’re doing a noble service being out there so I would pay the high tips. But man, I would by $15 worth of food and end up paying $50+ dollars with all the added fees lol.

After N95s available, vaccines, and time, I became comfortable just getting takeout, groceries, etc on my own again. But for a good part of 2020 I did use their services a lot.

Old 10-28-2022, 01:07 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
Tipping culture should die. Just pay them appropriately already damnit. If every other country around the globe can do it, why can't we?
I can only speak for the restaurant industry and non-Uber Eats et al food delivery from restaurants: the cost per-item will go up, and likely dramatically depending on amount of business the restaurant gets. Yes, tipping keeps the wages low, but it also keeps food prices (restaurants) lower. Now, for other industries, I dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athair View Post
My brain can’t process the fact that uber eats and doordash are actually a thing. Buy $10 of food, pay an extra $10 in surcharges and fees to have it delivered, and get guilted into tipping another $2-$5? So you’re paying double, or more?

I used uber eats once when I downloaded the app and they gave me $25 credit or something like that. I ordered $25 of food, and after all said and done I still owed about $15 at checkout, not even factoring a potential tip.

At the time I figured I basically paid the menu price for food and got ‘free’ delivery. I know promotional freebies are meant to entice people to become customers… but it just proved what I always suspected… the industry is just catering to lazy people who are willing to pay… no harm in that, but not for me
These services blew up during Covid lockdowns. Otherwise, they likely would still not be as popular. But then again, these services allow you to order food from restaurants that do not deliver, either historically, or another reason, like fast food. And let's face it, the person who is ordering Taco Bell through Uber Eats or Door Dash is likely not going to drive there themselves, and probably is not too concerned about spending the money.

The truth is there are people out there with physical or mental impairments that make going out to the store or restaurant a challenge. For them, it is sad that services cost so much in the end. For the guy eating gummies who just can't be bothered to move away from the video game for a minute, who cares?

Old 11-01-2022, 06:53 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,071,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
A few days ago, we joined another couple at Bacchanal, a high-end buffet at Caesar's Palace with quite a variety of food. It isn't a place we would ever go, but the out-of-town couple had set their sites on it.

Including tax but no alcohol (which is extra), but without a tip, it is about $175 per couple. It isn't worth it, IMHO. It is a buffet, after all, and some of the interesting things sit under the warming lamps for quite a while.

Our waitress delivered water at the beginning, and nothing else. We flagged her down mid-way through and asked for more water and extra napkins. She begrudgingly complied. Other staff pick up used plates when you go back for other items. At one point we asked for fresh silverware, and again she appeared put-out, but brought back some fresh silverware and just sort of dumped it on the table.

The other couple suggested we each leave a 20% cash tip on the table ($35 per couple). For what? This is a buffet. I didn't think she either earned or deserved a 20% tip at a buffet.
$210 and booze is extra? That’s more than you’d pay at Michelin-starred restaurants in Europe, with wine pairing included.

Old 12-26-2022, 08:06 PM

4 posts, read 3,519 times
Default tip?, for what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
You walk up to the counter order the sandwich, wait till its made, pay for it, eat there and and get you own drink, buss the table and clean up and return the tray and someone has the balls to ask me for a tip!

Tip this.
I went to a local place to get some hard cider for a family get together. The clerk handed it to me over the counter and when I went to pay, the screen asked how much I wanted to tip. For handing your product to me over the counter? Did that stress you out too much? Not only did I not tip, but I never went back there again.

Old 12-28-2022, 05:53 PM

4,834 posts, read 3,262,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
...It was almost totally self-service and the store shouldn't put the customer in the embarrassing position of refusing to tip for nothing more than a smile.
Doesn't bother me a bit.

Old 12-28-2022, 05:54 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
Totally veered off from tipping on retail parcels

Old 12-28-2022, 08:45 PM

30,617 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
Tipping culture should die. Just pay them appropriately already damnit. If every other country around the globe can do it, why can't we?
Oh how I wish that paying folks appropriately would cause tipping culture to die. But we were told that $15/hr was the living wage a few years ago. Yet, from the jump, folks who were receiving that amount and working in certain fields were still expecting tips. I feel that tipping is just a part of American culture at this point, for better or worse.

Old 12-28-2022, 08:49 PM

30,617 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
My wife and I went to Five Guys a couple of days ago, and a really nice young lady took my order and I put my Visa into the card reader. So up pops a request for a tip, giving certain percentages up to 20% and one of "other". Like I said, the girl was really nice and friendly, so I gave the machine $2 for a $25 or so bill.

But really, there should be no tip involved. All she did was take my order. No one brought my food to me, refilled my drink, or cleaned up my table. It was almost totally self-service and the store shouldn't put the customer in the embarrassing position of refusing to tip for nothing more than a smile.

I guess I'll pay cash next time and not have to deal with it.
I hate that. I used to feel pressured to leave a tip when they turned the screen around with the tip feature, but now I will simply mark down "no tip" and be on my way.

Old 12-29-2022, 03:09 AM

2,295 posts, read 1,513,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Oh how I wish that paying folks appropriately would cause tipping culture to die. But we were told that $15/hr was the living wage a few years ago. Yet, from the jump, folks who were receiving that amount and working in certain fields were still expecting tips. I feel that tipping is just a part of American culture at this point, for better or worse.
Reading this thread makes me shudder as we find the tipping culture so difficult when we are in the US, try as we do to do the right thing.

We may tip in restaurants here when there is table service, there are very few buffets but many places where you line up to place your order and it is either brought to you or you go and collect. We never tip there. Nor do I tip my hairdresser; at Christmas I wish her Happy Christmas. We do not tip taxi drivers though a few people do. And we most certainly do not tip anyone who delivers a parcel, or fixes a broken pipe. I confess to tipping my nail person $5 before Christmas and she was very worried that I had forgotten my change.

So in the US we often do not think about needing to tip when we apparently should. It is the worst aspect of travelling in the country for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living