Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 08:20 AM

550 posts, read 364,043 times

Advertisements

Door Dash and like local delivery carriers have especially since the pandemic entered the business of delivering items from local chain businesses that you have ordered online outside of restaurants and grocery order delivery.

** I see no problem in tipping these drivers if you the customer have requested same or next day delivery, but its a different story if the merchant unilaterally chooses these services instead of using USPS, FedEx, or UPS. Two recent situations:

* Ordered item on eBay for $5, the seller hundreds of miles away. Checked first a couple of other local retailers who simply did not carry the item. eBay seller chooses two days after my order to drop ship from my local Walmart less than five miles away with less than 15 minutes notice by text message, which the text message gave option to leave a tip for the Door Dash driver. Lets see 15% tip on $5 order is 75 cents. Most Door Dashers expect a few dollars which on this order would be a crazy 50-100% tip for something I did not request their service. To add insult the eBay seller emails out a fake USPS tracking number on the order, right city but wrong zip code and delivery date/time not match. And not the first time have experienced drop shipping with eBay unexpectedly.

* Ordered online two small light weight OTC pharmacy items, one $10 and one $30 from Bed Bath Beyond (could have also happened with Walgreens or some other local chains who now uses these local delivery carriers). I requested shipping of the order. Bed Bath Beyond makes the 'executive' decision to do 'same day delivery' on my order, but in doing so, they failed to check local store inventories, so the Door Dash Dasher only brought the $10 item that was fulfilled. From text messages received with less than an hour notice, I watched the Door Dasher make *multiple stops* on the online map before arriving at my home. Even if I did tip, getting the side item but not the main dish, I did not have the cash on hand on short notice nor time to run to a bank, nor no option was provided to tip through the text messaging. No wonder Door Dashers feel shorted on tips such on such parcel deliveries. My Door Dasher had limited English proficiency, so there was no way to explain the complications with the delivery so he would not have harsh feelings.

Don't get me wrong as a cheapskate. Assuming service was adequately performed, I do tip on grocery delivery of a couple bags or more, restaurant meals delivered where the expectation Door Dash, Instacart, or the like will be delivering; or even a single very heavy or bulky item such as 24+ pack of water. Even extra tip if the delivery person has to go through extreme circumstances such as heavy snow or multiple flights of steps.

In sum the problems:

- What to do in tipping on parcel deliveries, outside of sizable grocery deliveries or restaurant meals, where did NOT request this type of delivery service. Seller saves money, but stiffs (or tries to) the customer.

- If so inclined, how to tip if lacking in small currency on short notice, if electronic tipping option not provided. Not everyone has a Door Dash account or for reasons want one.

- More notice than an hour especially if not expecting such a delivery. In some neighborhoods, there are big problems with porch pirates or stray wildlife. If more notice or if know day before, can possibly make arrangements to be home or have a good neighbor to be on the lookout for the package.

Last edited by sprklcl; 06-27-2022 at 09:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2022, 10:24 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
We had that happen on a can of raisins my husband bought online from Walmart. I felt bad because I had no idea the order was coming. In fact, I thought the person had left an order at the wrong house so I stopped them which took a little time and I had no cash on me.

My husband figured the raisins would get here when they got here. There was no reason for same day delivery.

Old 06-28-2022, 01:33 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Just an FYI, Ebay does not purposely allow drop shipping. That seller should be reported *(Not that anything might be done about it, but maybe)
I had that inexplicable thing happen once, with a Walmart delivery. Supposed to be shipped.
Half the order came via FedEx, as expected, the other half delivered by DoorDash(??) or some such service. Both on the same day.

Old 06-28-2022, 01:35 AM

142 posts, read 156,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Just an FYI, Ebay does not purposely allow drop shipping.
I don't really follow what you are saying here. If they don't purposely allow it, do they accidentally allow it?

Old 06-28-2022, 01:44 AM

142 posts, read 156,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprklcl View Post
What to do in tipping on parcel deliveries, outside of sizable grocery deliveries or restaurant meals, where did NOT request this type of delivery service. Seller saves money, but stiffs (or tries to) the customer.
This person is to be tipped by the individual/business who hired them to provide a service. You didn't request their services so you aren't expected to tip. Now if they go above and beyond, like move a heavy item into your home, feel free to tip just as you would a shipper.

Old 06-29-2022, 01:17 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGAlot View Post
I don't really follow what you are saying here. If they don't purposely allow it, do they accidentally allow it?
Oversight. With millions of listings, many of the various types of infractions are missed.
Of course, many are ignored, even if reported. What Ebay does wrong is another whole subject.

Old 06-29-2022, 12:27 PM

7,724 posts, read 3,778,838 times
The local physical therapist office has a tip jar for the PTs.

Old 06-29-2022, 01:18 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
The local physical therapist office has a tip jar for the PTs.
Crazy!! What next? Tip your doctor/dentist, etc.?

Old 06-29-2022, 01:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I have never used door dash, Uber Eats, Instacart or any other delivery service, if I want food to go I go get it. We get deliveries of orders from Amazon, car parts suppliers and others including Ebay almost every day, delivered by the mail carrier, Amazon driver, Fedex or UPS. None of them could ever solicit a tip, because they just drop it on the porch (or mailbox) and leave. I have never seen any online retailer's "cart or basket" with an option for a tip. Now I would have tipped a couple of times when the item I got from Amazon was heavy, like the gas powered generator, pressure washer or window AC. I'm just not about to leave money at the door for a porch pirate to snatch up, and by the time Amazon texts me that it's delivered the drivers are gone.

Old 06-29-2022, 01:50 PM

7,724 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Crazy!! What next? Tip your doctor/dentist, etc.?
My fear is they bring out the tip jar BEFORE you see them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living