Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 11:54 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times

Advertisements

My wife ordered from Walgreens two weeks ago. She clicked on the "no contact transaction" on the order site. When the Doordash driver arrived, she placed the package on the porch and left. No tipping required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2022, 02:17 PM

2,310 posts, read 957,261 times
Tipping culture should die. Just pay them appropriately already damnit. If every other country around the globe can do it, why can't we?

Old 07-01-2022, 04:17 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,096,905 times
My brain can’t process the fact that uber eats and doordash are actually a thing. Buy $10 of food, pay an extra $10 in surcharges and fees to have it delivered, and get guilted into tipping another $2-$5? So you’re paying double, or more?

I used uber eats once when I downloaded the app and they gave me $25 credit or something like that. I ordered $25 of food, and after all said and done I still owed about $15 at checkout, not even factoring a potential tip.

At the time I figured I basically paid the menu price for food and got ‘free’ delivery. I know promotional freebies are meant to entice people to become customers… but it just proved what I always suspected… the industry is just catering to lazy people who are willing to pay… no harm in that, but not for me

Old 07-18-2022, 12:37 PM

142 posts, read 156,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
At the time I figured I basically paid the menu price for food and got ‘free’ delivery. I know promotional freebies are meant to entice people to become customers… but it just proved what I always suspected… the industry is just catering to lazy people who are willing to pay… no harm in that, but not for me
It really caters to people who value their time more than lazy people. Picking up food from a place that is 15 minutes away is a 30 minute round trip. You can have it delivered for $5 in fees and $5 in tip ($10 total). That's so much savings.

Old 07-18-2022, 04:35 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGAlot View Post
It really caters to people who value their time more than lazy people. Picking up food from a place that is 15 minutes away is a 30 minute round trip. You can have it delivered for $5 in fees and $5 in tip ($10 total). That's so much savings.
+

Or you can plan your week to pick up the item when you are doing other things.

Old 07-18-2022, 06:36 PM

3,701 posts, read 4,846,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
My brain can’t process the fact that uber eats and doordash are actually a thing. Buy $10 of food, pay an extra $10 in surcharges and fees to have it delivered, and get guilted into tipping another $2-$5? So you’re paying double, or more?

I used uber eats once when I downloaded the app and they gave me $25 credit or something like that. I ordered $25 of food, and after all said and done I still owed about $15 at checkout, not even factoring a potential tip.

Then go and pick it up yourself. You want te extra service of it being delivered to you, your going to pay. Exactly what is the problem?

Old 07-18-2022, 07:06 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprklcl View Post
In sum the problems:

- What to do in tipping on parcel deliveries, outside of sizable grocery deliveries or restaurant meals, where did NOT request this type of delivery service. Seller saves money, but stiffs (or tries to) the customer.
It's my understanding the person who engages the delivery service (the business owner in this case) is the one who should be tipping. I have a friend who door dashes so I'll try to remember to ask about this next time I see him, because I'm curious now.

Old 07-18-2022, 08:11 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
On a Facebook tri-state restaurant review page for the area where we live, somebody posted about a restaurant in a town about 25 miles away that adds a 10% service charge for to go orders. "I was here in person to place my order, so not a door-dash, online or even phone in situation. It does go to the staff, but no where is it disclosed here in the restaurant. I would have tipped anyway. It was just unexpected. Just want everyone to be aware for when you are making your carry-out decisions."

Old 07-19-2022, 01:47 PM

3,701 posts, read 4,846,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
On a Facebook tri-state restaurant review page for the area where we live, somebody posted about a restaurant in a town about 25 miles away that adds a 10% service charge for to go orders. "I was here in person to place my order, so not a door-dash, online or even phone in situation. It does go to the staff, but no where is it disclosed here in the restaurant. I would have tipped anyway. It was just unexpected. Just want everyone to be aware for when you are making your carry-out decisions."
I can see a carryout service charge added to the bill at a restaurant. Especially if it is mainly a sit-down place. Everything costs something and people are in business to make money.

If a restaurant decides to add a carryout service, they may need to invest more money for possible employees to cover that section, removing tables and giving up that section of the restaurant, carryout supplies, etc... It all adds up and the extra costs get added in. Perhaps they see more of an advantage of adding a service charge for that particular service then raising the prices across the board on the menu to cover it.

I see you stated it goes to the workers. IMO, if the wait staff has to add carryout to their duties, it increases the workload on them.

Just my worthless 2 cents.

BTW, I own/operate an inshore bay charter boat where I use a career mate whose income is about 2/3rds tips, and every cost of the operation gets passed on to the client within the cost of the trip. And I mated on offshore charter/private boats for 25 years where a large part of my income was tips.

Old 07-26-2022, 08:07 AM

1,108 posts, read 528,130 times
You walk up to the counter order the sandwich, wait till its made, pay for it, eat there and and get you own drink, buss the table and clean up and return the tray and someone has the balls to ask me for a tip!

Tip this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living