Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minimum you would pick up (USD)
Penny 57 63.33%
Nickel 9 10.00%
Dime 6 6.67%
Quarter 11 12.22%
Half dollar 1 1.11%
$1 3 3.33%
$2 1 1.11%
$5 2 2.22%
$10 0 0%
I would not pick up filth off the ground 0 0%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 07:11 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I would not bother for anything less than a dollar, and even the dollar only if it were in decent condition. Anything lying in a puddle or covered in goo of any sort and I will pass it by.

Picking up pennies is completely pointless. There is literally nothing of value that can be purchased with a penny. Technically, there is nothing of value that you can purchase with any reasonable amount of pennies. Even with 25 pennies you cannot pay for parking, because meters do not take them.

Complete waste of time.
Put loose change including pennies in a mason jar and take them to the bank when it's full. One mason jar of assorted change works out to be about $40, every time I do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2022, 07:17 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
I'll pick up anything from a penny on up. Even with a penny, that's a penny more than I had!

Old 07-02-2022, 04:39 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
I said $2 because I would most likely pass up a single dollar laying on the street, but if it was a couple of dollars or a high denomination, I may (and I mean may) pick it up if it looks cleanish. Overall, street coins are worthless to me as they are just not worth the energy, time or ick of picking them up and keeping them in my house for any length of time.

Old 07-02-2022, 06:00 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
My mom picks up pennies from heaven. The year on the penny is supposed to coincide with the year someone passed away, so that's how she knows who it's from.

It's kind of sweet. One time we took her on a girls trip to the beach and when we stopped to eat, she found a penny outside her car door when she got out and another when she got back in. The years coincided with her two husbands who she loved very much. She took it as they were approving her trip.

Old 07-02-2022, 07:15 AM

942 posts, read 391,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
I found a $100 bill two weeks ago on a sidewalk while shopping, I couldn't believe it, I thought it was play money at first, lol. I would pick up any coin and I pick up losing lottery tickets on the street to use as tax write-offs when I win "the big one."
My wife and I passed a lottery ticket walking into a store a couple of weeks ago. As we passed, I told her she should pick it up. She shook her head and laughed. When we walked out, the ticket was still there. So I mentioned it again, and this time she picked it up. When I went to check the numbers we realized it was for the upcoming drawing. That ticket won her $4. We always pick any change we see. Doesn't matter if it's just a penny.

Old 07-02-2022, 09:07 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I'll pick up anything from a penny on up. Even with a penny, that's a penny more than I had!
And this has absolutely no impact on your life overall. No impact on your standard of living, no changes to anything at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Put loose change including pennies in a mason jar and take them to the bank when it's full. One mason jar of assorted change works out to be about $40, every time I do this.
True, but that really only backs up the point that pennies are pointless. A mason jar of assorted change has only about $2-$3 in pennies, most of the value will be in quarters. You probably got most of those pennies through change from purchases, rather than from picking them up. Plus, the mason jar full of change can represent years of accumulating coins.

I recently brought two jars of change to the bank, and they totaled $86. But those jars represented about 4 years of change from my wife and I combined. At that rate, a lifetime of pennies comes to maybe $40/person. Who cares? Not worth the time to pick them up and spend them.

Old 07-02-2022, 11:34 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
See a penny, pick it up. All day long you will have good luck.

I use pennies. I often pay with cash and like to pay with exact change. The stores are always happy to be taking pennies in instead of handing them out.

And now follows the whine about how slow shoppers are who pay with cash or check in 1..2..3

Sorry, dude, but I don't take any longer counting out my money or writing a check than all the people who can't figure out how to use their card, or whose card gets refused, or they can't remember their pin.

Old 07-02-2022, 12:03 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
See a penny, pick it up. All day long you will have good luck.

I use pennies. I often pay with cash and like to pay with exact change. The stores are always happy to be taking pennies in instead of handing them out.

And now follows the whine about how slow shoppers are who pay with cash or check in 1..2..3

Sorry, dude, but I don't take any longer counting out my money or writing a check than all the people who can't figure out how to use their card, or whose card gets refused, or they can't remember their pin.
Unless the person in front of you plans to pay by check (or cash) and waits until the end of the transaction to dig the checkbook/wallet out of the huge bag and then start writing it out - like they JUST realized that they will have to pay.

Old 07-02-2022, 12:47 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Retailers should cherish those who pay cash. Using a card costs the retailer card fees or a percentage and unless the card is paid off each month, the buyer pays interest. Cards are just another little non-productive nibbler taking profits from almost every transaction that happens these days.

As for picking up pennies or anything else on the ground, absolutely!

Old 07-02-2022, 12:48 PM

17,379 posts, read 16,524,581 times
I know that I've walked right past pennies laying on the ground but I don't think I've ever ignored anything bigger.,

So I'll say that sometimes, maybe even most times, I pick up the pennies that I see. But I always pick up a nickle or higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living