Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2023, 08:17 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Our local Kroger has that section on the end of their Meat Cooler. That's the place I can find some really good deals on still fresh meets. I usually plan on using them within 2-3 days plus throw a few in the freezer.

Half price protein is a pretty good deal.
Yep, there's a section like that in my ShopRite, too, by the other meats. Sometimes there is nothing I want, but last week they had one-pound packs of grass-fed ground beef with an expiration date of that day at half price, so I snagged a couple. Also a pack with two turkey drumsticks for less than $2. Since I spent Thanksgiving with my vegetarian daughter, who did the cooking, I didn't get any turkey, so I took them, too.

LOL, my cheapest--beyond frugal--friend had me over for dinner the other night. Another friend of hers has a son who is the executive chef at a nice restaurant in our area, and he had given her lamb steaks he brought home from the restaurant. GAVE them. Free meat. She had put them in her freezer.

She made them for dinner and invited me over, but I had to listen to her whine and complain for half an hour about how she had to trim all this fat off the steaks. She even saved the bag she'd put the fat in to show me how much fat there had been. "If I saw them in the supermarket, I would have walked right by them. He's a chef. Doesn't he know how to trim meat?"

THEY WERE FREE. He probably had no time to trim the fat but he GAVE THEM TO YOU. FOR FREE.

She told me she complained to the chef's mother, too, so I guess that's probably the last time she ever gets anything.

Old 12-17-2023, 09:50 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
$1 ramen packet (Sapporo Ichiban, not the crappy kinds) plus two eggs cracked in whole with runny yolks. Wing sauce (hot sauce with a little vinegar) to taste.

That's a lot, so typically I use 60% of the noodles and use the rest as a snack later.
All those chemicals in Ramens will kill you.

Quote:
Our local Kroger has that section on the end of their Meat Cooler.
I do, too. The other place is butcher shops.

I go to the butcher shops at Findlay Market because I can get a half-inch thick pork steak. I rarely eat beef but when I do I don't need a 1 pound ribeye which is mostly what stores sell. I can get two half-pound rib-eyes at a butcher shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
All good points on name brand items, Mircea. There are plenty non-brand names that taste the same but some don't.
I wouldn't disagree. For me it's Hellman's mayo or bust. I've never found a generic that even comes close.

That's why I don't do Wendy's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2023, 10:01 AM

170 posts, read 74,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Being mainly vegetarian is quite a bit cheaper than buying meat/poultry.

Beans, split peas, lentils/tofu cost quite a bit less than meat and have a goodly amount of protein.

Cooking at home is way less $ than eating out--and healthier.
what Tofu does not have is iron,thats why vegetarians can be anemic unless they take iron pills or turn into vampire at night

Old 12-17-2023, 10:14 AM

2,046 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMWILSON View Post
what Tofu does not have is iron,thats why vegetarians can be anemic unless they take iron pills or turn into vampire at night
Tofu isn't high in iron but soybeans (edamame) are. One cup contains about half the daily iron requirement for vegetarians. I've been mostly vegetarian my whole life and have never had any symptoms of anemia.

Old 12-17-2023, 11:12 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Tofu isn't high in iron but soybeans (edamame) are. One cup contains about half the daily iron requirement for vegetarians. I've been mostly vegetarian my whole life and have never had any symptoms of anemia.
There are many plant sources of iron, as I'm sure you know.

Old 12-17-2023, 11:44 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Being mainly vegetarian is quite a bit cheaper than buying meat/poultry.

Beans, split peas, lentils/tofu cost quite a bit less than meat and have a goodly amount of protein.

Cooking at home is way less $ than eating out--and healthier.
or... Grow (raise) your own livestock, poultry, and produce (not always cheap, but you know what you're consuming)

The conversations tend to be... "Do you want to go out to eat?" ... "Not really, I prefer home cooked food and ingrediants" (And no loud blaring music(?), n o waiting in line, no grumpy servers, no one chopping off your Catalytic Converter while you eat, less chance of being carjacked while at home). I should learn to tip more at home The cook(s) deserve it and will put it to good use.

Just yesterday talking with a few neighbors who share the wealth (of our local homegrown food and livestock and plenty of wild game and fish). The nearest neighbor has an entire chest freezer of local wild mushrooms, and we each have freezers of salmon and beef and venison. (and we have one filled with berries, wild and domestic). We are hosting and getting together tomorrow night for a neighborhood feast. (frequent). Nothing fancy, just come and enjoy each other and our bounty. No need to bring anything, there is always plenty. Summers we BBQ at the neighbor's pond, with 10#+ trout. Or buy from Native American fishery ($3/#)

The PNW (50 - 100" of dreadful drizzle) is quite a good location for WTSHTF, barring any drops into the ocean, or an invasion from China, USSR (renegades), or NK. Could happen.

Soils seem to have been happy with Mt St Helens ash. (It's only 30 miles away)
Forest replenishes firewood and timber every 20 yrs.
Cows can graze all summer for free (no hay required), then make an early entrance to the freezer.
Train recently took out 28 head of elk, but I still see 50+ in the local herd.

gardens? Consider they look like Jurrassic Park by Sept. , even if you plant in June.

Apples and tree fruit? Plentiful for gleaning, or... buy windfalls / discards by the 1000# bin. The cows get a bin just for themselves, and the chickens and pigs get the grindings from the Cider Press.

"Fruit 'finished' livestock seems to be nice flavor.

Old 12-17-2023, 12:05 PM

2,046 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There are many plant sources of iron, as I'm sure you know.
Indeed. Spinach is another good one. When I make salads I try to make them with half lettuce, half other leafy greens like spinach or baby kale.

Old 12-19-2023, 12:14 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
When I scramble eggs for 3 adults, I often add either left over mac and cheese, or a can of hominy. Eggs have seemed smaller than usual lately, but it is winter.

Since we are retired, we stopped by the local Dillon's (5 minutes away and in the Kroger family) and figured out "markdown days": Tuesday - salads and breads and Friday - fresh meats, sometimes processed meats or those little snack packs that normally are way overpriced.

We eat a couple of eggs with soft yolks over corn grits, usually with a tablespoon or 2 of shredded cheese - makes a nice breakfast of light meal. We eat quite a few different grains and buy several packages if they are on sale.

Fall is the perfect time to stock up, as they clear things out for inventory. Usually in January, the prices go up, of course lately, they go up at least every week. I imagine a big jump coming up and/or reduction in the size/quantity/weight of the products.

Resist eating out, and buying junk foods. That sense of entitlement that comes with "deserving" to eat out or purchase convenience foods gets in the way for some people.

Shop the sale items and learn to cook, and it should not be that hard to spend less on food. Make your own coffee, as it is not that hard, especially with the choices. We bought a $30 coffee maker from Wal-Mart that will take K-cups (too expensive usually) or loose ground coffee.

Old 12-19-2023, 08:11 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Our local Kroger has that section on the end of their Meat Cooler. That's the place I can find some really good deals on still fresh meets. I usually plan on using them within 2-3 days plus throw a few in the freezer.

Half price protein is a pretty good deal.

It really depends on which Kroger store you head to.

In Tucson, the Fry's(Kroger) store near the university are (mostly students and DINKs) mark down roasts and large pieces of meat substantially, especially after the holidays.

At the location near two Tribal areas and largely Hispanic (and lower income), packaged salad mixes and processed vegetables in the produce section are often marked down. Also, they mark down the fancy imported cheeses as well as their grossly overpriced "Street taco kits" at $16 for six tacos. And add in a massive amount of marked down Kosher goods after Passover.

The reason why you see a lot of markdowns at Kroger stores is that most of the merchandising is done in Cincinnati. That is why the product mix at Fry's is different from Basha's and Food City.

Walk through a Kroger store and a HEB store in Houston and you have to wonder is they are really serving the same customers.

Old 12-20-2023, 07:30 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Eggs have seemed smaller than usual lately, but it is winter..
Are you referring to eggs you buy in the store or from your own chickens? The USDA sets the requirement for store bought ones.

https://ask.usda.gov/s/article/How-i...gs-determined#
"Size tells you the minimum required net weight per dozen eggs. It does not refer to the dimensions of an egg or how big it looks. While some eggs in the carton may look slightly larger or smaller than the rest, it is the total weight of the dozen eggs that puts them in one of the following classes: In descending order, egg sizes are Jumbo (30 oz. per dozen), Extra Large (27 oz. per dozen), Large (24 oz. per dozen), Medium (21 oz. per dozen), Small (18 oz. per dozen), and Peewee (15 oz. per dozen)."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living