Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2024, 04:13 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,383,340 times

Advertisements

If anyone has a LIDL nearby, chicken leg quarters are 69 cents a pound. I like dark meat so I will get a pack and do a sheet pan bake with potatoes and carrots. I also always get the 3 pack of romaine at Lidl because it is just under $3, about a dollar cheaper than the regular grocery store. They had some pretty good items this week including asparagus and red grapes and their really good 12 grain bread which is 2 for $4. I have had good success with their produce and their bakery as well as their store brand household items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2024, 02:44 PM

7,145 posts, read 12,681,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
If anyone has a LIDL nearby, chicken leg quarters are 69 cents a pound. I like dark meat so I will get a pack and do a sheet pan bake with potatoes and carrots. I also always get the 3 pack of romaine at Lidl because it is just under $3, about a dollar cheaper than the regular grocery store. They had some pretty good items this week including asparagus and red grapes and their really good 12 grain bread which is 2 for $4. I have had good success with their produce and their bakery as well as their store brand household items.
Yep, you're right. Lidl has some great items and good specials...we like to shop there. And where else can you buy avocados and a weed whacker and exercise tights in the same store?

Old 04-11-2024, 09:29 PM

14,200 posts, read 9,098,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Yep, you're right. Lidl has some great items and good specials...we like to shop there. And where else can you buy avocados and a weed whacker and exercise tights in the same store?
I haven't seen weed whackers in the Aldi Finds aisles yet, but I have seen clothing, so I imagine exercise tights have probably shown up there on some occasion or other.

Aldi and Lidl are competitors in both their home country of Germany and here, and they use the same business model, right down to the middle aisle with a constantly changing selection of general merchandise. They also both have the double product guarantee for their private label brands: if you don't like what you bought, they'll refund your money and replace the product. The one difference: Lidl stores have fresh baked goods and flowers while Aldi stores have neither.

Old 04-14-2024, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I haven't seen weed whackers in the Aldi Finds aisles yet, but I have seen clothing, so I imagine exercise tights have probably shown up there on some occasion or other.

Aldi and Lidl are competitors in both their home country of Germany and here, and they use the same business model, right down to the middle aisle with a constantly changing selection of general merchandise. They also both have the double product guarantee for their private label brands: if you don't like what you bought, they'll refund your money and replace the product. The one difference: Lidl stores have fresh baked goods and flowers while Aldi stores have neither.
Yes! Our local Lidl has the BEST croissants at a terrific price in their bakery...

Old 04-18-2024, 10:18 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,380,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
Also, meat isn't a necessity. All nutrients found in meat can also be found via plant sources.

You can't get certain nutrients from plants. So this is false. .

Old 04-25-2024, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
You can't get certain nutrients from plants. So this is false. .
^^

I wonder about this?

The Seventh Day Adventists of Loma Linda CA who are vegetarians live 10 years longer than the average American. And most don't suffer from diabetes or heart disease. Those who eat some animal products such as eggs, live on average, eight years longer...

Maybe they take a B vitamin supplement?

I'm not a nutritionist, but I thought beans plus rice make up a complete nutrition combo?

Old 04-25-2024, 07:29 AM

Quote:
^^

I wonder about this?

The Seventh Day Adventists of Loma Linda CA who are vegetarians live 10 years longer than the average American. And most don't suffer from diabetes or heart disease. Those who eat some animal products such as eggs, live on average, eight years longer...

Maybe they take a B vitamin supplement?

I'm not a nutritionist, but I thought beans plus rice make up a complete nutrition combo?
Last I recall, legumes do provide protein. That's the main nutrient people get from animal flesh.

Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM

30,904 posts, read 36,985,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Last I recall, legumes do provide protein. That's the main nutrient people get from animal flesh.
Protein and Vitamin B are different.

It's actually easy to get protein as a vegan. It's harder to get Vitamin B from foods if you're a vegan. But you can get it in fortified foods like cereal.

Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM

1,923 posts, read 1,283,896 times
Quote:
Hahaha!!!

Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM

Quote:
A Walmart Supercenter, but it won't be as easy to navigate as a much smaller Lidl. Both it and Aldi do a great job of getting a wide variety of stuff into small stores (they're also about half the size or less of a conventional supermarket). Changing the variety of the general merchandise helps, which is why you have to go back there often even if you're not shopping for food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living