Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2023, 07:54 AM

239 posts, read 106,467 times

Advertisements

The closest hospital, 1 hour away, has a nice cafe. Their salad bar is organic and only costs about .80 cents a pound. Nice place to eat out for lunch, never crowded either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2023, 02:11 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
$1 ramen packet (Sapporo Ichiban, not the crappy kinds) plus two eggs cracked in whole with runny yolks. Wing sauce (hot sauce with a little vinegar) to taste.

That's a lot, so typically I use 60% of the noodles and use the rest as a snack later.

Old 12-15-2023, 06:26 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckeeTami View Post
The closest hospital, 1 hour away, has a nice cafe. Their salad bar is organic and only costs about .80 cents a pound. Nice place to eat out for lunch, never crowded either.
I think that may be .80 an ounce.

Old 12-15-2023, 06:40 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
MARKDOWN BINS! At least at Ralph's grocery store...slightly overripe bananas, apples, avocados, mangos, etc dirt cheap. The bakery markdown bin for day old bread, etc cheap 2. Most Kroger brands cheaper...markdown salads $1.60 each, markdown gallon orange juice a few bucks, markdown half gallon kroger egg nog $1.35, a dozen eggs for a buck, lots of markdown meat too. The deal is you have to get stuff close to expiration date which is still perfectly good. Any meat/fish you can freeze too and it will last much longer as needed.
Even better, my supermarket, which has a whole section of prepared food, including complete meals, has two markdown cases at the front of the store near the registers where food with an expiration date of that day or the next is knocked down 30 - 70%. Sometimes they have nothing I want, and other times I really score.

Last night I looked, but meh. There were some containers of the gloppy types of sides like mac salad and whatnot that I rarely eat when it's fresh and don't want at all when it's not, and then there were cannolis and slices of various cakes that looked very tasty but my conscience said no. REALLY wanted those cannolis.

A couple of weeks ago, though, I got two large swordfish steaks with blackened seasoning, 50% off. Took them home and rewrapped them and into the freezer they went, and I enjoyed them the following week. Also salmon with pistachio "breading". One day I went with a friend and we decided to see what they had for a "Shoprite Markdown Dinner". We got store-made lobster ravioli and artichoke ravioli 70% off. She had her own homemade sauce in the freezer.

They store sells store-made containers of peel and eat shrimp with a thinger of cocktail sauce for $9.99, and sometimes these find their way into the case. I snagged a container the other night for around three bucks. Ate them with a salad. High-protein meal. Had a few left for a snack the next day, and they were still good.

I also have two turkey drumsticks in the freezer that were a dollar and change. It's fun to shop this way. You never know what you're going to find.

Also near these markdown cases is a rack with marked down baked goods. Breads, muffins, other bakery items. I don't usually buy anything there because if it's in the house, I'll keep eating it, and that stuff just blows me up like a Macy*s parade balloon.

Old 12-16-2023, 03:05 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Even better, my supermarket, which has a whole section of prepared food, including complete meals, has two markdown cases at the front of the store near the registers where food with an expiration date of that day or the next is knocked down 30 - 70%. Sometimes they have nothing I want, and other times I really score.
Our local Kroger has that section on the end of their Meat Cooler. That's the place I can find some really good deals on still fresh meets. I usually plan on using them within 2-3 days plus throw a few in the freezer.

Half price protein is a pretty good deal.

Old 12-16-2023, 04:02 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
I buy as much as I can at Aldi, and hardly ever throw any food away...we eat it before it goes bad.

Old 12-16-2023, 08:35 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckeeTami View Post
80 cents per pound?
I do not know what you use for transportation but two hours to eat at a hospital cafeteria would not be my thing.

Old 12-16-2023, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I think that may be .80 an ounce.
yes thank you

Old 12-16-2023, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
80 cents per pound?
I do not know what you use for transportation but two hours to eat at a hospital cafeteria would not be my thing.
I work a 48 hr shift in this town so I am already there

Old 12-16-2023, 07:24 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Being mainly vegetarian is quite a bit cheaper than buying meat/poultry.

Beans, split peas, lentils/tofu cost quite a bit less than meat and have a goodly amount of protein.

Cooking at home is way less $ than eating out--and healthier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living