Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 02:56 AM

200 posts, read 157,304 times

Advertisements

A lot of people don't donate to Goodwill anymore because the better items never make it to the sales floor for locals to buy. They're held back and sold/auctioned off on the Shop Goodwill website where anyone from any state can buy items. The local stores then pack up the items and ship them to the buyers or winning bidders. For people who want their donated items to benefit the local people where they live, this is unacceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2023, 09:06 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
I donate to an organization called WEAVE, they provide shelter, counseling and other assistance to victims of domestic violence or sex trafficking. They have a thrift store but they also give the clothing to their clientele who frequently show up with only the clothes on their back. If you have second thoughts about Goodwill, you might check and see if there is an organization like WEAVE where you live. https://www.weaveinc.org/shop-weave

Old 01-20-2023, 06:10 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,045,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeninja View Post
A lot of people don't donate to Goodwill anymore because the better items never make it to the sales floor for locals to buy. They're held back and sold/auctioned off on the Shop Goodwill website where anyone from any state can buy items. The local stores then pack up the items and ship them to the buyers or winning bidders. For people who want their donated items to benefit the local people where they live, this is unacceptable.
A common misconception is that thrift stores exist to provide low price goods for low income people. Most are connected with a charity, and their main purpose is to raise money for said charity. Let's say someone donates a sterling silver tea set. Shouldn't the store get as much money as possible for it? And with our local TS, all the money raised would be providing assistance to local people with heating costs, food, rent, etc.

Anyway, how would the store even determine who was truly needy and who was a re-seller? Many charitable stores have a voucher system where people in need can get some clothes for free.

Old 01-20-2023, 06:44 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,629,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTXwhatnext View Post

A 2013 article on Watchdog.org reported that Goodwill's tax returns showed that more than 100 Goodwills pay less than minimum wage while simultaneously paying more than $53.7 million in total compensation to top executives.[37] Douglas Barr, former CEO of the Goodwill of Southern California, was the highest paid Goodwill executive in the country.[38] He received total compensation worth $1,188,733, including a base salary of $350,200, bonuses worth $87,550, retirement benefits of $71,050, and $637,864 in deferred compensation, after serving as CEO for 17 years. This is often incorrectly cited as his salary[37]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodwi...d_compensation
And the one near me doesn't even give you a bag anymore!

I rarely go in there anymore any because the prices are laughably high, and if you donate anything of value, it never even reaches the sales floor anymore. They pull these items for resale auctions online.

Old 01-20-2023, 08:42 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
A common misconception is that thrift stores exist to provide low price goods for low income people. Most are connected with a charity, and their main purpose is to raise money for said charity. Let's say someone donates a sterling silver tea set. Shouldn't the store get as much money as possible for it? And with our local TS, all the money raised would be providing assistance to local people with heating costs, food, rent, etc.
Anyway, how would the store even determine who was truly needy and who was a re-seller? Many charitable stores have a voucher system where people in need can get some clothes for free.
Good question, I think with some charities you never know, but I donate to a shelter for victims of domestic violence / sex trafficking and they tell you up front that they distribute clothing and other items like clothes, hair dryers, handbags or children's clothing/toys to their clientele and what can't be used is sold in their thrift shop.

Old 01-21-2023, 12:52 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times
All the thrift-stores I have shopped at, Goodwill is probably the lowest ranked.

High prices, usually sucky inventory and now they have their cashiers asking for donations
when you pay for your stuff, yuck.

Old 01-21-2023, 01:03 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It seems like almost every day (I guess people are decluttering as their New Year's resolutions) I see posted on Facebook or NextDoor, "Where can I donate things that ISN'T Goodwill?"...
I suspect it's not anything to do with bias, but rather Goodwill's lack of staff. We had the issue here after the New Year. There were lines around the block, often to find -- if one persisted, that their trucks were full. I talked with our local Goodwill coordinator and he said that they couldn't get people to come in to handle the excesses the New Year brings. Apparently they thought they could get COVID from handling the donations. I finally resorted to putting my stuff out on the street on nice days with a free sign.

Old 01-21-2023, 08:46 PM

746 posts, read 494,021 times
Quote:
It seems like almost every day (I guess people are decluttering as their New Year's resolutions) I see posted on Facebook or NextDoor, "Where can I donate things that ISN'T Goodwill?" Why all the hate? I've heard the rumor that the higher ups are greedy and don't pay employees enough (whatever), but to me, it's like "I won't set foot in Walmart because of slave labor." Well, okay, justice warrior, but you're only hurting your OWN pocketbook there. Personally, I love my Goodwill and - although prices have increased, like everywhere else - I still find great stuff there and save tons over buying new. It's like it's become the thing to announce that you won't support them. I also notice that "free" sites on social media seem to be gaining ground, and I worry that this will hurt not only Goodwill but local thrift shops on which needy charities depend for their contributions.
I don't shop at Goodwill because of the way they treat the disabled. Their Greed is unbelievable. Very little of the profits actually go towards a good cause. It goes to the higher ups.I recall an article that listed what corporate makes and it was insane! Compared to other non-profits.

It's not a reputable organization to donate

Old 01-22-2023, 07:02 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip-Squeak View Post
I don't shop at Goodwill because of the way they treat the disabled.
How do they treat the disabled?

Old 01-22-2023, 07:34 PM

746 posts, read 494,021 times
Quote:
How do they treat the disabled?
They receive all of their donations free yet cannot seem to pay their disabled workers. Their Corporate Big Wigs make more $ than any other thrift store organization. I'll look for that article.

Personally I stopped shopping at one Goodwill for yelling at a mentally disabled worker for not going faster. They were timed to get out as much product as possible. The guy worked for about .50 cents an hour per his Job Coach. I was always seeing them being yelled at. Eventually I would write a yelp review but no one cared. I hear it still goes on to this day.

We do visit a Goodwill Outlet in RENO, NV occasionally because I need the money. Everything is about $2 a pound and I get some good things to sell online. I have not seen one disabled worker in that outlet, I think they generally work in the stores. Anyhow here are some links.

https://www.wcia.com/news/local-news...abled-workers/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/susanad...h=7db5bbd26a56

https://ehssafetynewsamerica.com/201...rkplacesafety/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living