Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2023, 06:14 AM

7,004 posts, read 4,813,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
What change would like made?
What change would *I* like made? I didn’t start the thread.

But since you asked, I think it would be nice if the higher up corporate officials were doing it less for their own monetary profit and more for the mission of the charity. Everyone points the finger at Goodwill for having corporate officials who make 6 figure salaries, but guess what. I believe if you could dig into the salaries of the officers of any one of the big charities you’ll see the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2023, 10:16 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,831,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicoCowboy View Post
I dont have the highest opinion of Goodwill because I think all of their disabled workers need to at least be paid the federal min wage not pennies per hour or under a dollar per hour or whatever.I also dont like how the big wigs at Goodwill make so much money despite it being a non-profit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
What change would *I* like made? I didn’t start the thread.

But since you asked, I think it would be nice if the higher up corporate officials were doing it less for their own monetary profit and more for the mission of the charity. Everyone points the finger at Goodwill for having corporate officials who make 6 figure salaries, but guess what. I believe if you could dig into the salaries of the officers of any one of the big charities you’ll see the same thing.
Goodwill is actually a bit more responsible than many charities I've seen. The goodwill CEO makes an estimated $236k a year. Meanwhile the founder and CEO of Susan G Koman is making $631k a year.

Make sure that whatever charity you support you check their executive salaries first.

As an alternative to Goodwill, use Salvation Army if one is near you. SA is a truly good org who wants to do good.

Old 04-10-2023, 06:57 AM

713 posts, read 394,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Goodwill is actually a bit more responsible than many charities I've seen. The goodwill CEO makes an estimated $236k a year. Meanwhile the founder and CEO of Susan G Koman is making $631k a year.

Make sure that whatever charity you support you check their executive salaries first.

As an alternative to Goodwill, use Salvation Army if one is near you. SA is a truly good org who wants to do good.
Over 200 grand is still a lot of money compared to their lowest paid disabled workers who are only making a few cents an hour.I dont like Salvation Army either for my own personal reasons.

Old 04-10-2023, 08:19 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicoCowboy View Post
Over 200 grand is still a lot of money compared to their lowest paid disabled workers who are only making a few cents an hour.
I'm pretty sure running a corporation is a lot of work compared to hanging up clothes or checking out customers.

And the employees make a lot more money than "a few cents an hour." Puhleez!

Old 04-10-2023, 08:45 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,577,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It seems like almost every day (I guess people are decluttering as their New Year's resolutions) I see posted on Facebook or NextDoor, "Where can I donate things that ISN'T Goodwill?" Why all the hate? I've heard the rumor that the higher ups are greedy and don't pay employees enough (whatever), but to me, it's like "I won't set foot in Walmart because of slave labor." Well, okay, justice warrior, but you're only hurting your OWN pocketbook there. Personally, I love my Goodwill and - although prices have increased, like everywhere else - I still find great stuff there and save tons over buying new. It's like it's become the thing to announce that you won't support them. I also notice that "free" sites on social media seem to be gaining ground, and I worry that this will hurt not only Goodwill but local thrift shops on which needy charities depend for their contributions.
I like Goodwill and donate to it.

Negative comments I've heard from others re Goodwill are that they think it's terrible that Goodwill sells the items donated to them, instead of giving them away. I have no problem with that. They sell things at very cheap prices, making them affordable for low income people. And the stores are large and have a variety of things they're selling (clothing, furniture, dishes, electronics, etc.). Since Goodwill has stores in my area, the money DOES stay local, and it employs local people.

Goodwill does have expenses. It washes & prepares all clothing and such before selling them, it has local people on the payroll to sell, stock, move heavy items, gather donations, etc.

Goodwill also has a presence on Amazon, selling used DVDs. I've bought from the various Goodwill locations several times. The dvds were in excellent shape. Don't know if it sells other used items at Amazon or online.

It also is a one-stop-shopping for the needy. Otherwise, a low income woman looking for some office clothing to interview for jobs would have to run all over town to search several small discount shops...if she has the gas and car for that.

So I like Goodwill and donate to it. I also donate to the Salvation Army.

Old 04-10-2023, 08:51 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,114,371 times
I thought everyone knew that Goodwill is not a charity. It is a for-profit business.

Old 04-10-2023, 10:14 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,920,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I thought everyone knew that Goodwill is not a charity. It is a for-profit business.
And this is why these rumors persist. It is in fact registered as a non-profit organization. Charity navigator even gives it a Great rating. Why do you believe otherwise?

https://www.charitynavigator.org/ein/470378996

Old 04-10-2023, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure running a corporation is a lot of work compared to hanging up clothes or checking out customers.

And the employees make a lot more money than "a few cents an hour." Puhleez!
Goodwill has disabled employees that make far less than the min wage.Disabled people dont have to be paid the min wage in America in some cases.

Old 04-10-2023, 11:43 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
Disabled people receive disability benefits which presumably offset a lower wage, IF that's even true (I never see any obviously disabled people working there); in fact, they can't earn much without losing them, and working is better than not working. But keep trying to make Goodwill "the big, bad wolf."

Old 04-10-2023, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Disabled people receive disability benefits which presumably offset a lower wage, IF that's even true (I never see any obviously disabled people working there); in fact, they can't earn much without losing them, and working is better than not working. But keep trying to make Goodwill "the big, bad wolf."
I know working is good but would you be happy making 25 cents per hour if you were in their shoes?I just think every American needs to be paid at least the federal min wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living