Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 01:03 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,631 times

Advertisements

The sad part is, the folks that COULD really use the helping hand or who are literally scraping by just to eat and stay housed rarely speak up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 06:40 AM

304 posts, read 904,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
The sad part is, the folks that COULD really use the helping hand or who are literally scraping by just to eat and stay housed rarely speak up.

They don't think they are "victims"

Old 07-05-2009, 09:20 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Some people just don't have a dang bit o' sense. I try to steer clear of people who have misplaced priorities. But then the ultra frugal ones get on my nerves too.
I agree. My sister never has money, but she has also never worked. She would always have her hand out for paying the electric bill, mortgage, whatever. Her in-laws finally got sick of this and gave them their "inheritance" early and paid off their mortgage. So what does the idiot do, moves to a new house and proceeds to put $300,000 of improvements into the house-a luxury bath for her, a sewing room for her, new furniture and things for her (the kids are not allowed to sit on any of the furniture), oh, and the kids sleep dorm style in the unfinished basement. Then she was crying to everyone that she was being foreclosed on-oh big surprise--this after she divorced her husband for no reason-she still has never had a job in her life.

Then my other sister cries how she never has money to do anything and is the queen of "it must be nice to...". They are both huge savers and have nice healthy investment accounts but going anywhere with them is such an ordeal. The kids all have to share a meal (the middle, very spoiled child always gets to pick what they eat-which is another thread). If they ever have a party or holiday at their house there is never enough food to go around. The last time we went to a party there by the time we got through the buffet line there were some potato chips and a little "salad" left-it was only some lettuce.

There is a healthy balance that needs to be maintained.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:15 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Like the woman that needed to borrow 700 bucks to pay the nearly cut off gas and electric bill, and water bill to keep her 4 kids safe...

and she was looking for a job and had second interviews....

She'd pay me back as soon as she got her first paycheck.

Well - she DID get her job. On her first paycheck? Bought herself a Coach bag, and matching wallet and shoes....

It's been 3 years, and all I got back was 40 bucks. Luckily I only lend money I can afford to lose.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:32 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Anyone who says they can't make ends meet but have an iPhone/cell phone, cable, drink, smoke, and eat out. And that is a lot of f'in people.

That is certainly true. There are far too many people who have come to believe that completely unneccessary luxuries are "needs".

Old 07-11-2009, 02:16 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,064,347 times
I think it's going to take a while before people get it! It didn't use to be like that! But why be afraid of being poor if there are credit cards, right? Well now the CC companies are closing down accounts, so hopefully more people will get their priorities straight.

The things that people complain about...That they can't afford the basic necessities because they have "no choice" because they "need" luxuries, give me a break! It is all about choices! I think many adults act like teenagers with allowances, still buying stuff they would buy while living at home with their parents as their first priorities.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:19 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,064,347 times
What frustrates me is when working moms complain that they just couldn't afford living on one income because they have to keep up with their expensive lifestyles. I have no problem with working moms, if working makes them happy and/or they have to work to put food on the table, I'm all for that! But when they keep whining about needing more designer bags while their kids are in day care for 12 hours a day, gimme a break!

Old 07-11-2009, 02:21 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
We all know someone who cries poor mouth, yet annoys you with their hypocrisy? Who is that person? What annoys you?

Ill start it off.

A woman at my job, who constantly cries about being broke, and how her kids have to eat the same thing every day to anyone who will listen, yet at the same time eats out every single day at restaurants for lunch.
Here's the one I like from work. Oh, we need more money, blah blah blah, and in the same breath tell you about their 60 inch television set and the fact that the bought season passes for the WHOLE FAMILY to a local tourist attraction - to the tune of probably $400+ (there's five in the family - four adults and a child).

HUH?

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-12-2009, 01:44 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSinger View Post
What frustrates me is when working moms complain that they just couldn't afford living on one income because they have to keep up with their expensive lifestyles. I have no problem with working moms, if working makes them happy and/or they have to work to put food on the table, I'm all for that! But when they keep whining about needing more designer bags while their kids are in day care for 12 hours a day, gimme a break!
Exactly what I was thinking!

I used to work with a woman who constantly whined about not being a SAHM. Then she'd go get into her beemer to go out to lunch everyday with all the other women in the office. That is when she was'nt driving the new Tahoe w/ the tricked out rims she had so she & her husband could take their boat to their second house on the river.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:51 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
There is a healthy balance that needs to be maintained.
Exactly! I so wish more people would balance as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living