Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:04 PM

690 posts, read 2,108,371 times

Advertisements

I realize a cell phone isn't a necessity, but isn't it reasonable to have one if it makes you feel safer? I don't have a home phone, just a cell phone bill for $50/month. A home phone with only local calls would be between $15-$20. And none of the people I call are local. So, $30 extra for a cell phone that I can take everywhere sounds entirely reasonable.

I'm also not sure I think it's so crazy to have cable. As long as it's not a huge, expensive package. I need to have internet access for school, and basic cable is only $10 on top of that. So, I don't think that's frivolous.

I'm with you about the woman who needed new leather seats in her plane, though. Sheesh. And people who take advantage of their relatives annoy me to no end. Family and friends are way more important than new furniture and Coach bags. I might be in a heap of debt myself, but I'm not going to go crying to someone else to help me out of it. I caused the problem, I'll fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 09:17 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
I always put things in 'cost per year' to help me decide if I really really need it. Or do I just want it?

$30 extra for a cell and $10 extra for cable is $480 a year. For my druthers, I'd put that $480 towards my mortgage. YMMV!

Old 07-18-2009, 11:46 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.ortega View Post
Like how she says the kids eat the same thing everyday yet she eats WHATEVER SHE LIKES for herself

I used to work with this lady that always cried about "I cant pay my credit card bill this month, I cant go fix my teeth until I pay off my credit card, I cant buy my vitamins, I cant do this and cant do that" but HER ENTIRE PAYCHECK went to buy CLOSETS, PANTRIES AND FRIDGES full of food for herself, her husband and her grown kids. One 24yr old teacher which should be out the house by now and on her own and her big boy that is a grown 28yr old punk that will never leave home because she SPOILS THEM TO DEATH!!!!! that's why she was always broke.. THE KIDS she would say wanted COOKIES AND CHOCOLATE AND SNACKS AND CHIPS Excuse me? She also would give them money for GAS AND BILLS if they needed it........MIND YOU THEY LIVE AT HOME and both have decent jobs why would they need money from broke mommy all the time?

Some people just make no sense to me sometimes...
This doesn't sound like a money issue. She's paying to keep them from leaving her.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:52 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
I realize a cell phone isn't a necessity, but isn't it reasonable to have one if it makes you feel safer? I don't have a home phone, just a cell phone bill for $50/month. A home phone with only local calls would be between $15-$20. And none of the people I call are local. So, $30 extra for a cell phone that I can take everywhere sounds entirely reasonable.

I'm also not sure I think it's so crazy to have cable. As long as it's not a huge, expensive package. I need to have internet access for school, and basic cable is only $10 on top of that. So, I don't think that's frivolous.

I'm with you about the woman who needed new leather seats in her plane, though. Sheesh. And people who take advantage of their relatives annoy me to no end. Family and friends are way more important than new furniture and Coach bags. I might be in a heap of debt myself, but I'm not going to go crying to someone else to help me out of it. I caused the problem, I'll fix it.
It's never about you having a cell phone or cable, it's about you (and I mean you in a general sense as one of the people we are complaining about, not you in particular) complaining that you never have money for food, or that you can't make your mortgage payment or that you can't provide for your kids and you have all this stuff and payments on said stuff -- that you seem to be able to make, by the way, because you want that stuff.

If you had children and you couldn't feed them, wouldn't you turn off your cable, in order to buy some rice and beans? That's what I would do. These people won't do that.

And that's what we're talking about.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:35 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,252,375 times
Why do people complain to me about their money woes, anyways? We're both laid off, yet I continue to hear the sob stories from friends, relatives, about how "broke" they are, etc.

Perhaps they think I want to hit them up for a loan, so don't get any ideas? I've never asked nor hinted for a loan. I just turn the tables and say "I'm sorry your finances are in such a bad situation. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to offer anyone any financial help at this time". Shuts them up!

Old 07-19-2009, 10:45 PM

690 posts, read 2,108,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
It's never about you having a cell phone or cable, it's about you (and I mean you in a general sense as one of the people we are complaining about, not you in particular) complaining that you never have money for food, or that you can't make your mortgage payment or that you can't provide for your kids and you have all this stuff and payments on said stuff -- that you seem to be able to make, by the way, because you want that stuff.

If you had children and you couldn't feed them, wouldn't you turn off your cable, in order to buy some rice and beans? That's what I would do. These people won't do that.

And that's what we're talking about.
Oh, right. I guess if I was struggling, it would be a whole different story. I have enough money to pay my bills every month. I don't think I complain about being poor, I just complain about how I feel terrible about being in debt. I guess there's an obvious solution to that problem.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:00 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Nobody ever tells me how poor they are. Around here, I am known as being extremely frugal. Never had a new car, mortgage, or any debt of any kind. What I always got was unwanted advice to go into debt to buy a new car, remodel the house, etc. Now those people are in financial ruin and I am getting by on 250.00 a month for expenses not including property tax which is that or more. Even if the entire economy collapses survival continues. Getting rid of the 200.00 a month electric bill and replacing it with a 16.00 a month bill is awesome but I am getting tired of hauling all that waste wood to keep the generator going! The people who cry poor remind me of those who were lined up for hurricane relief after Wilma and drove home in their new cars. I also see women using food stamps in the grocery and load the food into a 40,000.00 or more vehicle.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:57 AM

304 posts, read 904,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Nobody ever tells me how poor they are. Around here, I am known as being extremely frugal. Never had a new car, mortgage, or any debt of any kind. What I always got was unwanted advice to go into debt to buy a new car, remodel the house, etc. Now those people are in financial ruin and I am getting by on 250.00 a month for expenses not including property tax which is that or more. Even if the entire economy collapses survival continues. Getting rid of the 200.00 a month electric bill and replacing it with a 16.00 a month bill is awesome but I am getting tired of hauling all that waste wood to keep the generator going! The people who cry poor remind me of those who were lined up for hurricane relief after Wilma and drove home in their new cars. I also see women using food stamps in the grocery and load the food into a 40,000.00 or more vehicle.
I loathe unwanted advice and try not to do that to others; however, if I choose to help out by giving money or food or paying a bill...then I have every right to speak up.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:47 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
Well, I just got an eye opener the other day.

My FIL has been crying broke for about 6 months now... laying it on REAL thick. Real judgemental of every dime we spend... if we take the kids to the pool for the day ($5 for the 4 of us) or a movie ($13 for a matinee for 4 here), and the kids mention it to him, he LAYS into us about wasteful spending and how we really NEED Dave Ramsey.

So the other day, my dh and I confronted him on why we think he's broke and what's going wrong with his company, only to have him DEFEND the guy and claim he's "never been better off financially". As my FIL has made and lost (and inherited and lost) millions in the past, this was a bit of a shock to us.

And as I said, a bit of an eye opener.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:51 AM

411 posts, read 962,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Some people have no values system so they think throwing ever larger
amounts of money at everything they want or do is the answer to all.
Hey, that sounds like our infallible Supreme Leader!

D'oh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living