Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 06:51 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times

Advertisements

I once paid a programmer to write a program for me.. I paid him in peanut butter...

He lives in a country where only the wealthy can afford it.

I felt like being nice, so I sent him some peanut butter cups and other candy..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 12:30 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,944,761 times
I have an unlimited cell phone plan for $30/month (includes text/talk/internet) from when Sprint was offering their employee plan to everyone. The same thing from another carrier would be $100+. You would have to pry this thing from my dead hands--Every month when the bill comes I smile at how much I'm saving!

Old 02-10-2010, 06:17 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
I bought a bus pass. Driving has now become a luxury for me. I can barely afford to put gas in the tank, and the bus pass was $18.00. That's for a senior pass, the regular passes are $72.00. So now, I only drive out of necessity.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:25 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,929,427 times
Today I ROCKED while shopping at CVS using manufacturer's coupons, current store sales + the "bucks" you get from shopping there.

I got, for a total of $33.36:

- a 2-pack of Opti-Free replenish (usually costs $18)
- a 2 oz tube of Cortisone 10 intensive healing cream (usually $10)
- a 3.5 oz tube of Cortisone 10 eczema lotion (usually $10)
- a 4-pk of Dove soap (typically $6)
- a tube of Crest toothpaste (typically $3.50)

...that might not sound like a crazy deal but the contact lens solution and Cortisone creams are expensive, and unfortunately for both I have to buy the actual brand and not the substitutes. I was dreading having to stock up because I knew it was going to be expensive, but I am soooo happy I got good deals!

Old 02-14-2010, 12:43 AM

5 posts, read 39,885 times
Hmmm, well my latest cheap purchase I guess would have been my meal. Had it for like half a dollar.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:50 PM

430 posts, read 1,694,679 times
Do you all have a Goodwill "outlet center" where you live? I had never heard of them until I moved here a few months ago. Where I lived prior, there were regular Goodwill "retail stores" where the prices generally weren't so great.

The outlet center is a bit of an adventure because every few minutes they roll in giant tables of stuff and people stand around to get first dibs at the newest table of junk. I'm not that aggressive. ;-) I admit I get a real kick out of some of the deals I get there, buying by the pound. A really nice wool pea coat for my daughter for about $1.50. Several name brand tops, cashmere sweaters, wool sweaters for 25-50 cents depending on weight. A silk table runner for probably 20 cents because it weighs almost nothing. Nice glassware for probably 5 cents. A beautiful handmade quilt. I wouldn't buy furniture or pillows or things I couldn't thoroughly wash because there is a lot of dirty stuff and broken things mixed in, but its really a fun treasure hunt.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:54 PM

430 posts, read 1,694,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I have an unlimited cell phone plan for $30/month (includes text/talk/internet) from when Sprint was offering their employee plan to everyone. The same thing from another carrier would be $100+. You would have to pry this thing from my dead hands--Every month when the bill comes I smile at how much I'm saving!
I need to look into changing cell phone plans when our renewals come up. I've had Verizon for years, and we get good service almost everywhere (my friend has T-Mobile which for her doesn't get service in lots of places and drops calls). We have 3 phones total, the free verizon to verizon is nice because most people we call have verizon, my daughters have unlimited texting. But I think $175/month is too much.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:11 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
A few years ago I was in Goodwill and found a new-in-box moonbounce for $25! It was a Target return (our Goodwill buys Target's leftovers). The box was dented but never used. Original price was about $200-$250. We have used that moonbounce for numerous birthday parties, playdates, and holiday weekends. When we're done, we'll probably sell it on Craigslist for $25!
Goodwill in San Antonio has some Target stuff too! Love Goodwill!
Congrats on your find!

Old 02-16-2010, 05:22 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,624,105 times
Just brought a 42inch Magnavox TV from Target online for 400 bucks. Not bad. Years ago these flat screens cost a couple of thousand.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:55 PM

3 posts, read 6,172 times
My frugal purchase is to not buy a new car, and instead I continue using my trusty 15 years old SEAT car (which has a turbo-diesel WolksWagen engine, and whose fuel consumptions is so low!).Also, I like it because, being old, it is user-serviceable and I can do a lot of the maintenance myself (which I enjoy doing and learning how to do). A lot of new cars you cannot maintain yourself, because you need the computer program at the official dealer plugged into the car just to do almost anything inside the car...People like to jump from new car to new car every two years. I aim to keep mine until spare parts become impossible to find anymore - my estimation is that I can keep using it for another 15 years. Way to go frugal living! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living