Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 04:00 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I sympathize with what you are saying and am somewhat familiar with the Cobell Trust case. But the other poster was saying that she was 1/256 Indian. She and her kids have lived all of the advantages of being white in this society. they themselves have not suffered at all. why should they reap the benefits?
Because as I said, they are an enrolled member of a Federally recognized tribe and it's a TREATY RIGHT.

Quote:
My grandmother was Modoc Indian, raised on the Klamath Indian reservation. What the federal government did to the Klamath Indians was criminal to say the least. In the 30's and 40's the Klamath Indians were very well off, they used the land they had, harvested timber, they became one of the wealthiest tribes in the US. In the 50's the federal government disbanded the Kalmath Indians (removed them from the roles of an established tribe), took there land and sold it to companies like Georgia Pacific and Weyhauser Timber. This was because of the timber revenues that the Klamath tribe enjoyed, these other timber companies want the lands that were set aside for the Klamath tribe. It wasn't until the mid 1980' that the Klamath Indians, Modoc and the Yahooskin regained their status as the Klamath Indians, but the damage to their land had already been done, their still trying to get their land back.
It was beyond a crime, it was GREED and the power of GP and Weyerhauser. I was born in 1950 in Portland and I saw alot of tribal members who were dumped on the streets of Portland, it made me gag. There are so many tribes that have similar stories, it amazes me that so few outside of the ndn communities are aware of what the gov't has done and is doing to the ndn population. My sympathies for you and your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 01:30 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercygrace View Post
Uneducated people amaze me really. There is nothing wrong with claiming your heritage no matter how "diluted". My ex husband is 1/256 and my three children are 1/512 Chickasaw Indian. We live in the Chickasaw Nation in Oklahoma. My children are well taken care of by their tribe. My son was born at the Indian Hospital and I received excellent care there. My children are provided special education services, extra curricular services, housing, clothing grants, computers, thanksgiving and Christmas services. As the commercial says It's a good time to be Chickasaw. With the Chickasaw Nation it doesn't matter how much "blood" you have, it matters if you are a descendant of someone who was on the roll. That makes you a full member of the tribe and my children have duel citizenship of both Americans and citizens of the Chickasaw Nation.
If someone has a direct connection to the culture of his or her ancestors in a Native American tribe, that sounds like a great deal. If someone does not, that sounds borderline dishonest and a lot like leaching or mooching.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:46 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
If someone has a direct connection to the culture of his or her ancestors in a Native American tribe, that sounds like a great deal. If someone does not, that sounds borderline dishonest and a lot like leaching or mooching.
I'm sure the tribe is capable of making that decision. I don't think it's our business.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:36 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,046 times
Yes I'm awful with numbers so......if my great grandfather was 1/16 Indian, what would that make me?

Old 02-23-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
Yes I'm awful with numbers so......if my great grandfather was 1/16 Indian, what would that make me?
For the purposes of a flowchart:

Your father's genes comprise 50% of your own and your father, in turn is 50% of his father who is/was 50% of his father. Therefore you have 1/2 of 1/2 of 1/2 of 1/16, or 1/128.

Expressed as a percentage, that's 0.78125%

...You can also simply double the denominator for each descending generation (assuming no convergence)...

Old 02-23-2010, 02:59 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
half, 1/2 = 50% or .50

quarter, 1/4 = 25% or .25

eighth, 1/8 = 12.5% or .125

1/16 = 6.3% or .0625

1/32 = 3% or .03125

1/64 = 1.6% or .01625

1/128 = .008125

1/256 = .0040625

1/256 is slightly less than half of one percent.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:58 PM

445 posts, read 1,071,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Being ndn is much more than blood quantum, it's understanding and honoring your heritage.

All those freebies you seem to think ndn's get were part of a treaty and let me tell you, most tribes are still fighting over what the gov't AGREED TO and reneged on and continue to do so. There is not one again NOT ONE treaty that has stood as signed by the US gov't. The fight to retain and return land, money, services as promised is on going. Those "freebies" were in exchange for stealing our land and they continue to try even today.

If you would like more info on this google the fight over the Black Hills, considered sacred and stolen for the gold. Fishing rights all over the PNW, OK was supposed to be indian territory forever, again stolen. The Klamath tribes had 20 million acres stolen and their rights as a Federally recognized tribe, it took them 20 years to get recognition back and they are still trying to get their land back. These are just a few examples and all of this for greed. The US gov't entered into treaties with Sovereign Nations and then over and over again proceeded to steal, not provide agreed upon services, food, money etc.

The ndn's that are enrolled in a Federally Recognized Tribe are a fraction of the ndn population living today. Because of the laws forced on our ancestors by the gov't restricting enrollment that was poorly understood by the ndn's at the time, many of us are now inelegible for enrollment. I have friends that a full blood ndn's but because their parents were of different tribes they are not elegible to enroll in any tribe. Then there are many like myself who's ancestors were forced out of their homes and hid, did not trust the gov't (for good reason) and did not trust the enrollment system, my ancestors changed their surnames several times over one generation to "hide out", yet by all acounts they continued to practice many of their traditions, yet I, who has a significant amount of ndn blood can not enroll, unless I can find an elusive ancestor on the rolls.

The Cherokee Nation, along with many other tribes have a descendency requirement, not a blood quatum requirement. Of course all of these requirements were written by white men with the intent of creating a paper genocide in hopes we would disapear...WE ARE STILL HERE!

So for the lucky few who can claim enrollment, they are more than entitled to those few and hard fought for "freebies", they were and are not free under any stretch of the imagination.
Amen, and I know that's right!!!!

Old 05-23-2010, 01:41 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscogeeButterfly View Post
Amen, and I know that's right!!!!
Thanks

Old 05-24-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
half, 1/2 = 50% or .50

quarter, 1/4 = 25% or .25

eighth, 1/8 = 12.5% or .125

1/16 = 6.3% or .0625

1/32 = 3% or .03125

1/64 = 1.6% or .01625

1/128 = .008125

1/256 = .0040625

1/256 is slightly less than half of one percent.
I'm with you right up to the point at which 1/64 becomes 0.01625...

Old 05-24-2010, 05:08 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,942,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Being ndn is much more than blood quantum, it's understanding and honoring your heritage.

All those freebies you seem to think ndn's get were part of a treaty and let me tell you, most tribes are still fighting over what the gov't AGREED TO and reneged on and continue to do so. There is not one again NOT ONE treaty that has stood as signed by the US gov't. The fight to retain and return land, money, services as promised is on going. Those "freebies" were in exchange for stealing our land and they continue to try even today.

If you would like more info on this google the fight over the Black Hills, considered sacred and stolen for the gold. Fishing rights all over the PNW, OK was supposed to be indian territory forever, again stolen. The Klamath tribes had 20 million acres stolen and their rights as a Federally recognized tribe, it took them 20 years to get recognition back and they are still trying to get their land back. These are just a few examples and all of this for greed. The US gov't entered into treaties with Sovereign Nations and then over and over again proceeded to steal, not provide agreed upon services, food, money etc.

The ndn's that are enrolled in a Federally Recognized Tribe are a fraction of the ndn population living today. Because of the laws forced on our ancestors by the gov't restricting enrollment that was poorly understood by the ndn's at the time, many of us are now inelegible for enrollment. I have friends that a full blood ndn's but because their parents were of different tribes they are not elegible to enroll in any tribe. Then there are many like myself who's ancestors were forced out of their homes and hid, did not trust the gov't (for good reason) and did not trust the enrollment system, my ancestors changed their surnames several times over one generation to "hide out", yet by all acounts they continued to practice many of their traditions, yet I, who has a significant amount of ndn blood can not enroll, unless I can find an elusive ancestor on the rolls.

The Cherokee Nation, along with many other tribes have a descendency requirement, not a blood quatum requirement. Of course all of these requirements were written by white men with the intent of creating a paper genocide in hopes we would disapear...WE ARE STILL HERE!

So for the lucky few who can claim enrollment, they are more than entitled to those few and hard fought for "freebies", they were and are not free under any stretch of the imagination.
agreed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy