Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 12:00 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,942,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckyjonespecos View Post
How do you get a card and what kind of proof would you need?
are you American Indian? do you have native family memebers? you have to know your people, you have to know what tribe your from and you have to show that you have an ancestor on the dawes final rolls. in some tribes you have to be a certain blood quantum, such as1/4 or1/8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 08:34 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,246,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
In this case most 100% Native Americans are not even Native Americans because they really do not practice the cultures of the past or speak the languages.

Oh dear. You could not be more wrong. This comment really irritates me, because obvously, someone who is not NDN, and has never been around any real NDN's is spouting off about something s/he knows nothing about.

As to the OP's question. It's been answered, and don't feel bad about being enrolled and having very little blood quantum. Your tribe is a sovereign nation. They and only they make the laws which govern who is Cherokee and who is not.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiobtm View Post
I'm 1/4th Cherokee and proud of it. And I think your post is pathetic.

Yes, most of the tribes were abused in some way or another - and Cherokees especially egregiously. But most of the tribes also abused Europeans in one way or another. There was plenty of evil to go round.

But the whole - they stole our land thing - spare me. We stole it from some other tribe who stole it from another ad nauseum. Do you really think we had a right to claim thousands of square miles for ourselves (I'm talking the Cherokee Nation here) and deny it to Europeans who were being treated little better than slaves in their mother lands? Suck it up - we were defeated by a superior culture.

If the roles had been reversed do you think native Americans would have been as... dare I say it, merciful as the Europeans? No, we would have enslaved them or completely liquidated them. A little further south and we would have eaten them. Rants like yours embarrass me.

It is what it is and it is now ancient history. Let's move on.
Oh man, this is so off topic and I should ignore ignorance, but.....merciful? Are you kidding me? And where, oh where did you learn history?

That post proves there is an obvious lack of truth in history in our schools. Shameful. The ignorance I'm reading on here from non-NDN's is beginning to irritate me, so I'm out of here. I suggest if you're going to study genealogy and you think you might be Indigenous then start studying some history that does not have a White slant.

After reading several pages on this thread I'm in cultural shock. I'm shocked at the ignorance from Americans regarding history! People, this is American history.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:16 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
I'm about as White as you can get, but I also have a Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood card which says I'm 1/256 Cherokee blood.

How much is this?
That's microscopic!

I'm 75% Scandinavian and 25% French, but I also have a small amount of Native American ancestry (less than 1%). I think my high cheekbones were a result of that.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:32 AM

67 posts, read 209,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
That's microscopic!
It would be about 000.3

I wouldn't even know how to add that in a total of 100%. It'd have to not count.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:30 PM

497 posts, read 1,485,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I beg to differ, it is NOT ancient history for many tribes, maybe for you and yours it is but if you actually KNOW what is going on even today for many tribes you would not be making that statement.

The indigenous populations DID treat the first arriving whites well, until the whites started slaughtering them. Me thinks you have limited information on the history of this country in regards to indian population outside your own.
Lol - what's wrong - pissed that your free money from the US government isn't enough? Consider yourself lucky you get any. Consider yourself lucky you have land set aside for your nation.

Actually - do not. That money and that land has corrupted your spirit to the point that it is easier to sit on your ass and hate than to be a warrior and provider in the culture you are in. Free money and land has turned too many native Americans from warriors (who had issues) to losers - who just have issues. I hate what I see when I visit friends who live in southern Montana.

To your second point - it varied by tribe and by settlement and by people group - even early on. You need to read some detailed histories - not the crap from your 8th grade history text book. No one is innocent here. Or rather - no one group was innocent back then. That blood is not on my hands.

All humans are individuals. Man up or you will just end up crawling some where to whine - and die.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Oh man, this is so off topic and I should ignore ignorance, but.....merciful? Are you kidding me? And where, oh where did you learn history?

That post proves there is an obvious lack of truth in history in our schools. Shameful. The ignorance I'm reading on here from non-NDN's is beginning to irritate me, so I'm out of here. I suggest if you're going to study genealogy and you think you might be Indigenous then start studying some history that does not have a White slant.

After reading several pages on this thread I'm in cultural shock. I'm shocked at the ignorance from Americans regarding history! People, this is American history.
Well if you have the guts for it, I will be happy to discuss any specific point you care to post here. But as a quick rebuttal - perhaps you would have preferred it if the Europeans had eaten us?

Old 07-17-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Oh dear. You could not be more wrong. This comment really irritates me, because obvously, someone who is not NDN, and has never been around any real NDN's is spouting off about something s/he knows nothing about.

As to the OP's question. It's been answered, and don't feel bad about being enrolled and having very little blood quantum. Your tribe is a sovereign nation. They and only they make the laws which govern who is Cherokee and who is not.
OK - you took your shot at character assassination - typical of someone who cannot argue an actual point. Perhaps you could make a specific point. How am I wrong?

Old 07-18-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiobtm View Post
OK - you took your shot at character assassination - typical of someone who cannot argue an actual point. Perhaps you could make a specific point. How am I wrong?
Oh brother, more of the mentality of the PPWG. (poor persecuted White guy).

The U.S.'s Indian policies failed. The point was genocide and complete annihilation. Failure on all counts. Every last policy failed that task. We're still here. 564 Nations strong. We still have our culture, our languages, and our people.

Get over it.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:02 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,942,550 times
Quote:
Oh brother, more of the mentality of the PPWG. (poor persecuted White guy).

The U.S.'s Indian policies failed. The point was genocide and complete annihilation. Failure on all counts. Every last policy failed that task. We're still here. 564 Nations strong. We still have our culture, our languages, and our people.

Get over it.
damn right! i think this guy is more of wanna be type anyways
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy