Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 12:35 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Aren't there such things as travel agents anymore, or did the Internet make it all DIY? If so, that's sad!
They exist but more for planning full service (usually international) and group travel. IE, my in-laws use it when they travel but not to fly domestically in the US.

If I were the OP I'd figure a way to get to one of the NYC airports and fly direct to Salt lake City. I'd request "Special (wheelchair) services" and bring a cane. That can be done booking online. As easy as a smaller airport like Scranton would be to fly out of I'd get myself to a hub that has a direct flight to SLC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2022, 12:55 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
Pay for your brother to fly to you, rent an RV and let your brother drive you back to Idaho in the RV. You can travel in comfort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Those at this site who've come to know me well know that I've lived for all but ten of my seventy-two years with a scoliosis (spinal curvature) which, fortunately, was detected early and treated by spinal fusion.

But the globe continues to spin and water keeps going over the dam, and about two months ago, almost without warning, my right femur broke and sheared off just below the hip joint -- probably due to the extra wear-and-tear from a non-symmetric spine. Fortunately, a fine surgeon was able to splice things back together with an artificial hip, and previously-planned installation of a WATCHMAN heart implant, designed to reduce coagulation (clotting) and lower the risk of a stroke, also came off without a hitch last week.

Over the past few years, too many of the friends I'd come to know in my home town in Pennsylvania have died or moved away, and my one brother, two years my junior, has suggested that I join him in Idaho; he has a farmette, but I would probably opt to settle in a community of 3500 a few miles away.

Packing up and moving wouldn't be too much of a problem in itself, but I have some concerns about a long journey in my diminished physical capacity. My brother has offered to meet and drive me (I stopped driving three years ago due to diminished co-ordination and balance), but I don't want to impose, if possible. Flying would involve at least four airports and three changes (Scranton - O'Hare - Salt Lake City - Twin Falls) and I'm very much aware of the increasing chaos and incivility in those not-so-friendly-anymore skies. Although I've never flown commercially, many vacations spent traveling solo have taught me what to anticipate. And as much as I love railroading, Amtrak is unsuitable not so much due to the price as the limited route structure.

So I'd like to get some input from those among us who've dealt with any, or all of these issues previously -- thanks in advance!

Old 04-04-2022, 02:11 PM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I too would recommend flying. I would take a United Express flight right out of Wilkes Barre-Scranton at 5:30pm that connects through Chicago with a two-hour layover allowing you to stretch/move about/get a bite for dinner and arrive in Boise, which is a two-hour drive from Twin Falls at 11:13pm. Stay the night to get refreshed in an airport hotel and have your brother pick you up in the morning. There's a nice Best Western or Fairfield Inn half a mile from the airport with a shuttle to pick you up, room rates are about $100 per night.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fli...viewflight/rev

https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/bo...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...eld-inn-boise/

Old 04-04-2022, 05:39 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Pay for your brother to fly to you, rent an RV and let your brother drive you back to Idaho in the RV. You can travel in comfort.
An RV? From Pennsylvania to Idaho? With these gas prices?

Old 04-04-2022, 05:46 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
Take the plane, pay for comfort (extra legroom, or even first class). As noted there are services that will get you on and off the plane and take you from one gate to another.

I'll bet there's a limo to the NYC airports. Consider that.

Old 04-04-2022, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
An RV? From Pennsylvania to Idaho? With these gas prices?
That would be about $1200 for gas and $1000 for the RV rental. Probably about the same as Amtrak with a sleeper car. The OP asked for options other than flying, driving a car or taking the train. That's the only one I could think of. Might be an interesting road trip in the RV though, and a very comfortable option for the passenger.

Old 04-04-2022, 06:29 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
That would be about $1200 for gas and $1000 for the RV rental. Probably about the same as Amtrak with a sleeper car. The OP asked for options other than flying, driving a car or taking the train. That's the only one I could think of. Might be an interesting road trip in the RV though, and a very comfortable option for the passenger.
You'd also have to pay for (assuming you could even find) RV sites, unless you want to boondock in a Walmart parking lot or drive non-stop.

Old 04-04-2022, 06:33 PM

Quote:
You'd also have to pay for (assuming you could even find) RV sites, unless you want to boondock in a Walmart parking lot or drive non-stop.
You could stay at motels, have great dinners and breakfasts, shower and and park the RV overnight, and buy some sandwiches and drinks for the road. I think it ought to be a leisurely 2400 mile road trip to be enjoyed. I priced the RV rental as a one way rental for a week in a mid sized RV and figure 8 mpg at $4 a gallon. You are looking at about $4000 for the RV trip and brother's airfare. Plus it's a good way for the brothers to reconnect.

Another poster proposed air from Scranton to Chicago and Chicago to Boise, and a car at each end. That would be the most economical and quickest. But the OP said he wanted alternatives. This was one.

Last edited by bobspez; 04-04-2022 at 06:46 PM..

Old 04-04-2022, 06:38 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
So now you're paying for hotels rooms and dinners out. A plane ride is looking better and better (unless it's about the experience and not saving money).

Old 04-04-2022, 06:51 PM

Quote:
So now you're paying for hotels rooms and dinners out. A plane ride is looking better and better (unless it's about the experience and not saving money).
True. In 2000 my wife and I took an Amtrak from NYC to Reno and return in a sleeper cabin including toilet and shower. Meals in the dining car were included. It was three days each way and one of the best travel experiences we ever had. Back in 1970 I took the train from Mexicali on the US border to Guadalajara, Mexico and a bus back. Also a great memorable experience. In 1964 I drove 4 days form SF to Denver, and three days back from Denver to LA. I spent each night in a Best Western motel. Another great memorable experience. Seeing every mile along the way, the changing landscapes, is a whole different experience than flying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues