Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 01:06 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Those at this site who've come to know me well know that I've lived for all but ten of my seventy-two years with a scoliosis (spinal curvature) which, fortunately, was detected early and treated by spinal fusion.

But the globe continues to spin and water keeps going over the dam, and about two months ago, almost without warning, my right femur broke and sheared off just below the hip joint -- probably due to the extra wear-and-tear from a non-symmetric spine. Fortunately, a fine surgeon was able to splice things back together with an artificial hip, and previously-planned installation of a WATCHMAN heart implant, designed to reduce coagulation (clotting) and lower the risk of a stroke, also came off without a hitch last week.

Over the past few years, too many of the friends I'd come to know in my home town in Pennsylvania have died or moved away, and my one brother, two years my junior, has suggested that I join him in Idaho; he has a farmette, but I would probably opt to settle in a community of 3500 a few miles away.

Packing up and moving wouldn't be too much of a problem in itself, but I have some concerns about a long journey in my diminished physical capacity. My brother has offered to meet and drive me (I stopped driving three years ago due to diminished co-ordination and balance), but I don't want to impose, if possible. Flying would involve at least four airports and three changes (Scranton - O'Hare - Salt Lake City - Twin Falls) and I'm very much aware of the increasing chaos and incivility in those not-so-friendly-anymore skies. Although I've never flown commercially, many vacations spent traveling solo have taught me what to anticipate. And as much as I love railroading, Amtrak is unsuitable not so much due to the price as the limited route structure.

So I'd like to get some input from those among us who've dealt with any, or all of these issues previously -- thanks in advance!
Have your brother fly out...rent a Uhaul and a car trailer. You pick him up, between the two of you could pack the truck or hire help. He can drive, stay at hotels, etc. IF you do it this way, purchase a CHOCKLOCK on Amazon. Trust me on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2022, 01:31 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
20 years ago adding a sleeper car for a three day trip added about $1200 each way. But it also included meals. I don't know what it is today. I travelled by bus three days in just a seat and it wasn't very comfortable. Even though on a train you can walk around and stretch your legs, go to the dining or club or observation car, I wouldn't book just a seat for anything over 10 or 11 hours.
My sister booked a 3-day trip for $1500 for 3 in a family sleeper room for the entire route that the OP could take partway.

I’ve been in a regular seat for a 19-hour (really 24) trip round trip. I did it in middle school and emphasized to one friend that the experience was so horrible that I would not recommend it to my worst enemy. My friend did not believe me. She thought that surely in 20 years the experience would have improved and bought a round-trip ticket to save money. Needless to say, after one way she immediately bought a plane ticket back and said never again!

The OP may want to watch some Amtrak videos on YouTube before deciding. There are like the really peppy ones that I don’t recommend and others that are more balanced and will tell you stuff like it is really bumpy or the food is not the best.

In the OP’s situation, I’d probably fly. It’s not the best, but I imagine that the OP can get some extra assistance going from one gate to another if needed.

Old 04-05-2022, 01:46 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Those at this site who've come to know me well know that I've lived for all but ten of my seventy-two years with a scoliosis (spinal curvature) which, fortunately, was detected early and treated by spinal fusion.

Over the past few years, too many of the friends I'd come to know in my home town in Pennsylvania have died or moved away, and my one brother, two years my junior, has suggested that I join him in Idaho; he has a farmette, but I would probably opt to settle in a community of 3500 a few miles away.
Do you have impaired lung capacity or trouble breathing or fully exhaling? Do you use oxygen? Idaho will likely be a higher elevation so you might encounter problems that you don't have now. I live at 5500 ft. elevation in NM and a friend with scoliosis visited safely but was on constant oxygen. She was okay for the visit but certainly could not live well at this elevation. Her lung capacity was seriously impaired.
Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 04-05-2022, 09:36 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Have your brother fly out...rent a Uhaul and a car trailer. You pick him up, between the two of you could pack the truck or hire help. He can drive, stay at hotels, etc. IF you do it this way, purchase a CHOCKLOCK on Amazon. Trust me on this one.
It would be a little hard for the OP to pick someone up, since they don't drive anymore.

Old 04-05-2022, 10:48 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,880,823 times
Re my previous comments against the prospect of two elderly folks (at least one with health issues) RV'ing across the country, perhaps for the first time: I've had friends here in Tucson the last day or so posting for help about a couple who disappeared while on an RV trip from Albany Oregon to Tucson. Unfortunately the breaking news this evening is not good.

https://www.wrtv.com/news/search-und...napolis-couple

An RV isn't the easiest mode of transport, and requires a lot of TLC and occasionally difficult maneuvering. A plane trip is done in a single day and there will be multiple people along the way to assist. it will be a long day, but it's one and done.

Old 04-06-2022, 07:31 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
As much as I love trains, you've all convinced me that OP should take a plane.

Old 04-06-2022, 10:05 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Agreed. Even if you're retired and no longer compensated for your time, its still valuable.

I still think the way to do it is to hack legs off of the air portion

The "chaos and incivility" is much overblown. Especially for someone of your age. Book directly from the airline; Delta would be my first choice given that they use SLC for a hub and SLC seems to be about the only place that gets flights to Twin Falls.

I wouldn't try and book out of Scranton, I'd get to JFK in New York. I'd guess there are limo/shuttle services from Scranton to the NYC airports. Book requesting special services. Say you need a wheelchair and you'll be ferried to and from the gate, allowed to board first, and will generally avoid jostling with the great unwashed. If you can swing it, pay for first class.
The 2.5 to 3 hour (minimum minus traffic issues) shuttle drive to JFK obliterates any time savings with a connecting flight out of Scranton, not to mention the cost factor.

Old 04-06-2022, 10:33 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The 2.5 to 3 hour (minimum minus traffic issues) shuttle drive to JFK obliterates any time savings with a connecting flight out of Scranton, not to mention the cost factor.
Yes, but ultimately fewer connections means less volatility and stress (IMO) for someone that has mobility concerns and doesn't drive. It probably ends up being a wash.

Old 04-06-2022, 11:08 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
As much as I love trains, you've all convinced me that OP should take a plane.
I don't know why people are suggesting a hybrid transit model for someone that has mobility concerns and hasn't flown commercially in their life and no longer drives. Navigating from an airport to an Amtrak station? Forget it.

I love trains too. But they're really only as effective as their routes are efficient. Chicago-St. Louis or Boston-DC? Fine. PA to Idaho? No way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtDreamer16 View Post
Hi, 2nd trick. What about a combination of methods?

Looks like you could take a quick direct flight from Scranton to Chicago. Couple hours, and maybe $100 one-way.

From Chicago, there's a direct Amtrak route to Salt Lake City called the California Zephyr that takes about 30 hours, so you could relax for a while. I made up a May date out of Chicago and it shows $122 coach.
So someone who has mobility concerns, and no longer drives anymore, is going to
1) Deplane and navigate O'Hare Airport, get to the baggage claim (presumably,)
2) Find and get on the shuttle to take them to the Metra station,
3) take the Metra downtown to Union Station,
4) Get off the Metra and get to the correct Amtrak train and figure the baggage situation there?

I've taken the Metra to North Central station and caught the shuttle to O'Hare once before. It's only convenient if you're really squeezing pennies, don't have a car, and don't have anyone to drive you, and are only using a carryon. It adds another hour to the trip too since you have to accommodate waiting for the shuttle.

ETA...Assuming OP is 75+ she doesn't have to deal with the same BS that the rest of the great unwashed do through TSA. She can keep a light jacket on, keep her shoes on, etc. Just take the laptop out of the bag and no water bottles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues