Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2022, 06:13 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,328,392 times

Advertisements

Those at this site who've come to know me well know that I've lived for all but ten of my seventy-two years with a scoliosis (spinal curvature) which, fortunately, was detected early and treated by spinal fusion.

But the globe continues to spin and water keeps going over the dam, and about two months ago, almost without warning, my right femur broke and sheared off just below the hip joint -- probably due to the extra wear-and-tear from a non-symmetric spine. Fortunately, a fine surgeon was able to splice things back together with an artificial hip, and previously-planned installation of a WATCHMAN heart implant, designed to reduce coagulation (clotting) and lower the risk of a stroke, also came off without a hitch last week.

Over the past few years, too many of the friends I'd come to know in my home town in Pennsylvania have died or moved away, and my one brother, two years my junior, has suggested that I join him in Idaho; he has a farmette, but I would probably opt to settle in a community of 3500 a few miles away.

Packing up and moving wouldn't be too much of a problem in itself, but I have some concerns about a long journey in my diminished physical capacity. My brother has offered to meet and drive me (I stopped driving three years ago due to diminished co-ordination and balance), but I don't want to impose, if possible. Flying would involve at least four airports and three changes (Scranton - O'Hare - Salt Lake City - Twin Falls) and I'm very much aware of the increasing chaos and incivility in those not-so-friendly-anymore skies. Although I've never flown commercially, many vacations spent traveling solo have taught me what to anticipate. And as much as I love railroading, Amtrak is unsuitable not so much due to the price as the limited route structure.

So I'd like to get some input from those among us who've dealt with any, or all of these issues previously -- thanks in advance!

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-02-2022 at 06:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2022, 08:57 PM

169 posts, read 179,837 times
Hi, 2nd trick. What about a combination of methods?

Looks like you could take a quick direct flight from Scranton to Chicago. Couple hours, and maybe $100 one-way.

From Chicago, there's a direct Amtrak route to Salt Lake City called the California Zephyr that takes about 30 hours, so you could relax for a while. I made up a May date out of Chicago and it shows $122 coach.

Your brother could pick you up in SLC. It's only a little over 3 hours to Twin Falls from SLC.

So, you can speed up the first part, relax and sleep for a day +, then your brother gets to help out and bring you home.

Just a thought. Best wishes on your recovery and move!

Old 04-03-2022, 09:58 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,027 times
Hello fellow Libertarian and fellow curmudgeon!

As much as you might find flying distasteful, that would be my recommendation. Amtrak would be unsuitable not only for its poor route structure but for someone with coordination and balance issues, you would find getting about on a train to be challenging (I say this from personal experience). With your diminished capabilities, you would get to board the plane first - and don't forget, for every story about someone pitching a fit on an airplane, there are thousands of flights that take off and land uneventfully.

Just make sure that the community you're considering has adequate facilities and practitioners to take care of your health care needs; that should be your primary concern at this point.

Old 04-03-2022, 10:10 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
It's about the destination being worth the effort and aggravation to get there.
The rest is logistics.

Old 04-03-2022, 02:09 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
Hello fellow Libertarian and fellow curmudgeon!

As much as you might find flying distasteful, that would be my recommendation. Amtrak would be unsuitable not only for its poor route structure but for someone with coordination and balance issues, you would find getting about on a train to be challenging (I say this from personal experience). With your diminished capabilities, you would get to board the plane first - and don't forget, for every story about someone pitching a fit on an airplane, there are thousands of flights that take off and land uneventfully.

Just make sure that the community you're considering has adequate facilities and practitioners to take care of your health care needs; that should be your primary concern at this point.
Have to agree. For all its unpleasantries, The less-friendly skies option is sort of one-and-done. You'd arrive in hours, not days, don't have to maneuver around much during the trip, and don't need to schlep anything but your carryon along the way. Plus, you can arrange or request assistance at any layover. Also agree about access to healthcare on the destination end. I'd check that out carefully ahead of time. If it turns out you can't get what you need, what will you do then?

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-03-2022 at 02:58 PM..

Old 04-03-2022, 05:48 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,499,662 times
I would fly. Trains especially when you need to make lots of connections can have lots of delays. While I think it's generous of your brother to offer to drive you, I would not ask him to make such a long drive unless that were the only option. You are able to fly and this seems like the best option.

Old 04-04-2022, 06:11 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,556,680 times
Check with the airlines and see if they still offer to have someone to meet you with a wheelchair and help you check in and get seated on the plane. They had someone at each transfer point to assist my mother (traveling alone) to make a long trip across country. They even arranged to have a seat on the plane near the bathroom so she did not have to walk too far to use the facilities.

She was traveling a long distance to live in an assisted living facility near my brother. He made all the arrangements with the airline ahead of time. One plane did not arrive on time and she had a 4 hour layover, but, other than that it went well.

Old 04-04-2022, 10:52 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
Aren't there such things as travel agents anymore, or did the Internet make it all DIY? If so, that's sad!

Old 04-04-2022, 12:21 PM
KCZ

4,666 posts, read 3,660,797 times
I would never attempt to make 3 connecting flights in one day in the current airline chaos. Hundreds or thousands of flights are still being cancelled every day, especially on weekends. I like the flight--Amtrak--brother suggestion above.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/sou...068948?tesla=y
https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled/

Old 04-04-2022, 12:25 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
Why would a train be difficult; just the length of the journey? I plan to use Amtrak in the coming year (if they ever get rid of the mask mandate). It's the only way to fly!!! Get a sleeper care and make yourself at home...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues