Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 12:29 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
I'd argue Birmingham is just as Southern as Memphis.
Even if that's the case the thread was "Largest city/metro where the southern accent is still dominant"

Memphis is a larger city/metro than B'ham is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2024, 08:26 AM

1,350 posts, read 882,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Even if that's the case the thread was "Largest city/metro where the southern accent is still dominant"

Memphis is a larger city/metro than B'ham is.
Memphis is barely larger than Memphis. And it's debatable whether the southern accent is more dominant in Memphis.

Old 02-11-2024, 12:54 PM

2,657 posts, read 2,100,139 times
Quote:
Memphis is barely larger than Memphis. And it's debatable whether the southern accent is more dominant in Memphis.
What?

Old 02-11-2024, 06:28 PM

3,888 posts, read 2,200,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
What?
Exactly.

Old 02-11-2024, 06:42 PM

3,888 posts, read 2,200,909 times
Quote:
We've discussed both Black and White accents so I don't know what you mean by it's black accents being talked about.

As far as New Orleans accents being mistaken for New York/ Northeast accents, I totally hear it when it comes to White New Orleans. Not all but there's a ton of White New Orleans natives that have that "YAT" accent. But as far as Black New Orleans, the only group of people where I hear some similarities to a New York or Northeast accent are Creoles of color folks from Downtown. And I'm talking Creole people of color that come from a long line of Free people of color who married other Free people of color. The ones that can "pass" as something other than "Black". They're the ones I usually hear with some faint New York/ Northeast dialects and even then I still wouldn't mistake it for a Black New York accent. And even with that yes probably most Creole people in New Orleans today racially consider themselves Black but there's also a good amount who don't consider themselves Black.

With that said, I don't hear that with the majority of Black New Orleans natives. And I'm talking Black New Orleans who are clearly Black or primarily of African descent. That also includes Black downtown residents that are primarily of African descent. Even when they share neighborhoods with descendants of Creole people of Color from my experience I still don't hear a New York accent w/ them.

Also I don't go by Hollywood's version of southern accents considering I'm from the South, East Texas (Ark-La-Tex) to be exact. Traditional maybe was the wrong word to use, but there is a general southern accent that can be found to some degree all throughout the southern region. Of course there's variations of southern accents but there are similarities as well throughout the region.

You just admitted that older New Orleans accents can be mistaken for New York accents but now the New Orleans accent is consistently southern as a Memphis accent? Nobodies mistaken a Black or White Memphis accent for a New York one. It's southern throughout unlike New Orleans that has a variety of different accents that are unique to that region and can even be reminiscent of New York.
I worked with a woman from New Orleans born and raised and she had that NY sounding accent.

Old 02-11-2024, 06:52 PM

Quote:
What?
My goodness, it's common sense I meant Memphis is barely larger than Birmingham.

Old 02-12-2024, 06:05 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
I worked with a woman from New Orleans born and raised and she had that NY sounding accent.
Was she Black? White? Creole?

Quote:
My goodness, it's common sense I meant Memphis is barely larger than Birmingham.
Even if it's BARELY larger it's still larger by almost 200,000 people. Btw, I'm not suggesting B'ham has a less dominant southern accent than Memphis. I'm simply saying Memphis is the larger city even if it's barely larger it's still the largest city/metro in the southern region where the southern accent is still dominant.

Old 02-12-2024, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Was she Black? White? Creole?

Even if it's BARELY larger it's still larger by almost 200,000 people. Btw, I'm not suggesting B'ham has a less dominant southern accent than Memphis. I'm simply saying Memphis is the larger city even if it's barely larger it's still the largest city/metro in the southern region where the southern accent is still dominant.
That's still debatable. The accents in the Nashville region seemed mostly southern to me.

Old 02-16-2024, 12:51 PM

2,657 posts, read 2,100,139 times
Quote:

Memphis population is about 400,00 more people and additionally the entire city proper of Birmingham can fit inside Memphis.

Old 02-16-2024, 05:32 PM

Quote:

Memphis population is about 400,00 more people and additionally the entire city proper of Birmingham can fit inside Memphis.
Are we talking about city or metro?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.