Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 12:23 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,059,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
It’s robust. It’s just that Atlanta is a melting pot and has lost its southern culture a very long time ago. Apparently you haven’t spent much time here.
I dunno I'm with the other poster on this one. I've spent plenty of time in Atlanta. First you say "Atlanta is not southern at all" as if being southern is somehow a pejorative. That statement on its own is hyperbolic at best. Atlanta is certainly a melting pot, but there's no denying it's southern heritage. Definitely plenty of folks inside and out of the city with a southern dialect. If it is the answer to this thread title may be another conversation, but acting as if the south has been completely transplanted out of Atlanta is disingenuous IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2022, 07:04 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,597,475 times
A friend just sent a home video, showing several of her neighbors in Kansas City, where I haven't been in 25 years. I was amazed at how southern they all sounded, something I was not conscious of when I lived there.

Old 08-09-2022, 09:42 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
Dallas-Fort Worth.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:07 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naners1 View Post
Having lived in New Orleans for a couple of years, I found the city to be Catholic,
The people In New Orleans in general did not sound southern to me.
On certain religious holidays people would flock to the nearest Catholic church for midnight mass, New Orleans has a good number of Catholic churches and cathedrals. On the other hand most Southern cities tend to be Baptist or evangelical.

When I first visited New Orleans many years ago, I was told by some locals that the biggest error often seen in movies taking place in New Orleans is the characters speaking with a southern accent. To my ears, New Orleans accents sound more like a northeast accent.

The southern half of Louisiana is Catholic. The northern half is Baptist.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:15 AM

6,790 posts, read 4,233,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I dunno I'm with the other poster on this one. I've spent plenty of time in Atlanta. First you say "Atlanta is not southern at all" as if being southern is somehow a pejorative. That statement on its own is hyperbolic at best. Atlanta is certainly a melting pot, but there's no denying it's southern heritage. Definitely plenty of folks inside and out of the city with a southern dialect. If it is the answer to this thread title may be another conversation, but acting as if the south has been completely transplanted out of Atlanta is disingenuous IMO.

When I was in college I met a born-and-raised Atlantan. I had previously never really interacted in person with anyone directly from the South. Her dad was some kind of higher up in Coca Cola management. She didn't have even a hint of a Southern accent, but a very neutral "American metropolitan" type speech. I was stunned because even though I knew that Atlanta had seen a lot of transplants come in, I assumed that those raised there would still get the accent just from the overall environment. But apparently not.

I also knew someone from the Huntsville, AL area who was raised there because her parents were involved with NASA there but she also didn't really have a Southern accent.

It didn't escape me that both those individuals were raised in upper middle class environs with transplanted parents. I suspect that the Southern accent probably started to fade in those wealthier areas in and around cities where doctors, managers, lawyers etc. with advanced educations and plenty of time spent outside the South would cluster. Meanwhile it would remain much stronger among the blue collar population (even the wealthy with a blue collar background such as contractors, long-running local businesses etc.).

I see this even in Northern Virginia where if you have an office job you will (a) hardly encounter anyone with a local background (b) never hear a Southern (white) accent unless that person just moved in from South Carolina or something, but if you deal with the guys who install your HVAC or repair your roof you will still hear Southern accents.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:40 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
I don't think the majority of DFW has a southern accent. Mainly here a neutral American, some southern Californian, Midwestern mix.

I agree that New Orleans has an accent that matches more with groups in the Northeast than surrounding areas. It sounds a little like what I hear from black New Yorkers.

Atlanta definitely has some distinct southern accents. A range of em. Miami and Houston too.

Old 08-09-2022, 01:50 PM

1,374 posts, read 925,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I live and work in Atlanta for the past 20+ years, I rarely hear someone with a southern accent. It was much more prominent in the 90s or 00s but now probably less than 10% of the people I encounter on a daily basis will have an accent.

Old 08-09-2022, 01:55 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,059,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
I live and work in Atlanta for the past 20+ years, I rarely hear someone with a southern accent. It was much more prominent in the 90s or 00s but now probably less than 10% of the people I encounter on a daily basis will have an accent.
Sure understood. My point wasn’t to say that Atlanta was the most southern, or had the most southern accents. Just disagreeing with a poster who claimed Atlanta wasn’t southern “at all”. I still don’t think people would confuse it for “the north”.

Old 08-09-2022, 02:12 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
The Southern Accent is dominant in Charlotte.

Old 08-09-2022, 02:22 PM

817 posts, read 627,318 times
Seems like St. Louis still has a lot of people that speak with a Southern accent, even the younger people. Check out this video and skip to the 4:52 mark

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.