Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US state is the most connected to Quebec, Canada
New York 21 20.79%
Vermont 41 40.59%
New Hampshire 6 5.94%
Maine 33 32.67%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 03:07 PM

69 posts, read 44,377 times

Advertisements

In the PNW region of the US, Washington is very culturally connected to British Columbia, Canada, so much so that the border is almost non existent for many. Seattle and Vancouver have a similar climate and "the Seattle freeze" exists in both cities. When it comes to northeast region of the US, you have states like New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine that border Quebec. Which of these states would you say is the most connected to Quebec?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2024, 03:36 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
New York.

Plattsburgh is nicknamed "Montreal's U.S. suburb."

Montreal and NYC are also only 5 hours or so apart by car, making the I-87 corridor through the entire state of NY a direct, important link between Quebec and NY state.
Half of Quebec's population lives in Montreal.

In short, New York, as the most important city in Quebec is directly tied to the most important city in NY (and the US.)

https://theimtc.com/border-data/national-ranking/

Old 01-12-2024, 04:09 PM

14,008 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
New York.

Montreal and NYC are also only 5 hours or so apart by car, making the I-87 corridor through the entire state of NY a direct, important link between Quebec and NY state.
Half of Quebec's population lives in Montreal.

In short, New York, as the most important city in Quebec is directly tied to the most important city in NY (and the US.)

https://theimtc.com/border-data/national-ranking/
The Answer in Maine not New York. Maine has a big francophone population. (Larger than Upstate NY in raw numbers, let alone proportion)

The vast majority of NYS have absolutely nothing to do with Quebec. While the Quebec influenced areas of Maine are a significant part of its population. NH and VT also are pretty large Québécois’s populations but NH’s center of gravity in in like Derry. So I think VT is 2.

It’s ME, VT, NH then NY

Your link shows almost a million border crossings into Vermont, a state of 630,000 people. 1.25 million into Maine, a state of 1.3 million and ~6 million into New York a state of 19 million (not to mention pretty much from much of Montreal even places like Stratton or Killington it’s pretty reasonable to use the New York crossing to get where you’re going. Plus the entire rest of the US.

I’m kid since the entire rest of the border crossing with NY other than a bit is water, there are almost no small border crossings in the state unlike VT or NH or Maine that just have tons of small ones across the border

Last edited by btownboss4; 01-12-2024 at 04:23 PM..

Old 01-12-2024, 04:30 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The Answer in Maine not New York. Maine has a big francophone population. (Larger than Upstate NY in raw numbers, let alone proportion)

The vast majority of NYS have absolutely nothing to do with Quebec. While the Quebec influenced areas of Maine are a significant part of its population. NH and VT also are pretty large Québécois’s populations but NH’s center of gravity in in like Derry. So I think VT is 2.

It’s ME, VT, NH then NY

Your link shows almost a million border crossings into Vermont, a state of 630,000 people. 1.25 million into Maine, a state of 1.3 million and ~6 million into New York a state of 19 million (not to mention pretty much from much of Montreal even places like Stratton or Killington it’s pretty reasonable to use the New York crossing to get where you’re going. Plus the entire rest of the US.

I’m kid since the entire rest of the border crossing with NY other than a bit is water, there are almost no small border crossings in the state unlike VT or NH or Maine that just have tons of small ones across the border
Perhaps from an American perspective I can see this.
I grew up in Montreal, and no one travelled to Vermont or Maine. Pretty much everyone I knew and still know routinely go back and forth between NY (Lake George and Saratoga for mountains and resorts, including owned cottages, Plattsburgh for groceries and whatnot, and NYC.) Pretty much everyone who uses the Plattsburgh airport is going to or from Montreal, using it as an alternative too Trudeau International.. I guess I’m speaking from a Montreal perspective. But that accounts for half of Quebec.

Old 01-12-2024, 04:32 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,321,234 times
I suspect Montreal is most connected to New York, while the rest of the province gravitates towards upper New England, probably Maine being the strongest connection.

Old 01-12-2024, 04:33 PM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Woonsocket RI had plenty of French Canadian immigrants and it's not even listed.

Old 01-12-2024, 04:34 PM

14,008 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Perhaps from an American perspective I can see this.
I grew up in Montreal, and no one travelled to Vermont or Maine. Pretty much everyone I knew and still know routinely go back and forth between NY (Lake George and Saratoga for mountains and resorts, including owned cottages, Plattsburgh for groceries and whatnot, and NYC.) I guess I’m speaking from a Montreal perspective. But that accounts for half of Quebec.
If you are for which state is Quebec most important? It’s ME, VT, NH, NY

If the question is Which state is most important to Quebec? It’s NY, ME, VT, NH just cause New York is so much more important generally than VT

So I understand your “the answer in NY”

But the question ti me sounds like it’s from the states perspective
Also Old Orchard is a huge quebecois destination. Like when they proposed a Montreal to Boston train it cut thru Lewiston/Old Orchard then followed the Downeaster to Boston. Going skiing in the Whites you do hear a lot of French as well.

Old 01-12-2024, 04:44 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,920,492 times
I’ve never been to that part of the country so I wouldn’t really know, but I would assume that Maine is closer to the Maritime provinces than with Quebec, especially since there’s very little development along the Maine/Quebec border. So then that leaves Vermont and New York, and I would give the edge to Vermont. Burlington the largest city in Vermont is just 43 miles from the border. Also Beebe plain is a town split right down the middle where their “Main Street” formers the border. Also Vermont used to be part of New France, hence the name of the state meaning green mountain in French.

New York I would say is closer with Ontario.

Old 01-12-2024, 06:04 PM

5,889 posts, read 6,088,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post

It’s ME, VT, NH then NY

Yeah, the most direct route to Florida (or beaches not quite as far) seems to be through New York State, whether that's coming from Montreal or even Quebec City.

Old 01-12-2024, 06:24 PM

6,804 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Old Orchard Beach is the Riviera Quebecoise, and Lewiston contains the largest number of French speakers of any municipality in the US.

So very surprised VT is beating ME.

Quote:
New York.

I can imagine MTL leaning towards NYS, but what about the rest of the province?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.