Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US state is the most connected to Quebec, Canada
New York 21 20.79%
Vermont 41 40.59%
New Hampshire 6 5.94%
Maine 33 32.67%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 09:42 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,080,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Perhaps from an American perspective I can see this.
I grew up in Montreal, and no one travelled to Vermont or Maine. Pretty much everyone I knew and still know routinely go back and forth between NY (Lake George and Saratoga for mountains and resorts, including owned cottages, Plattsburgh for groceries and whatnot, and NYC.) Pretty much everyone who uses the Plattsburgh airport is going to or from Montreal, using it as an alternative too Trudeau International.. I guess I’m speaking from a Montreal perspective. But that accounts for half of Quebec.
This. There's even a mileage sign on the NY Thruway (I-87) a few miles north of the NY/NJ border and it shows Montreal on it along with two other NY cities. It's been there forever. I always thought it was cool and different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2024, 10:31 PM

93,196 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
New York.

Plattsburgh is nicknamed "Montreal's U.S. suburb."

Montreal and NYC are also only 5 hours or so apart by car, making the I-87 corridor through the entire state of NY a direct, important link between Quebec and NY state.
Half of Quebec's population lives in Montreal.

In short, New York, as the most important city in Quebec is directly tied to the most important city in NY (and the US.)

https://theimtc.com/border-data/national-ranking/
Plus, many Quebecois fly out of Plattsburgh International Airport: https://www.flyplattsburgh.com/canadian-travelers

From an article: "Plattsburgh International Airport, just over 100 kilometres south of Montreal on the shore of Lake Champlain in upstate New York, bills itself as “Montreal’s New York airport,” and has a Canadian traveller information button on its website.

Canadians account for 60 per cent to 70 per cent of the travellers at Plattsburgh airport, which had between 250,000 and 300,000 originating and terminating passengers before the pandemic, said Chris Kreig, director of the airport. “We appreciate that Canadian travellers use the airport for their travelling needs,” Mr. Kreig said in an e-mail."

Source: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...flights-south/

Also, here is a video from a cable channel in the Plattsburgh area about one of the last Expos games at Olympic Stadium:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4V0lKV2D9Y

Another thing is that many people in the North Country/Champlain valley portion of NY are of French Canadian descent, from an older thread in the NY forum: https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...-new-york.html

From Mountain Lake PBS in the Plattsburgh area about those of French Canadian descent: https://mountainlake.org/je-me-souviens-interview/

There are also some Quebec based companies that have facilities in NY, particularly in the Plattsburgh area as well.

So, there is a strong connection between Northern and some other parts of Upstate NY and Quebec.

Old 01-13-2024, 12:05 AM

13 posts, read 23,637 times
Quote:
Pretty much everyone who uses the Plattsburgh airport is going to or from Montreal, using it as an alternative too Trudeau International.. I guess I’m speaking from a Montreal perspective. But that accounts for half of Quebec.
Why do they prefer the Plattsburgh airport to YUL? The Montreal one has many more connections and the Plattsburgh one hardly has any flights that aren't very expensive.

Old 01-13-2024, 07:11 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradec View Post
Why do they prefer the Plattsburgh airport to YUL? The Montreal one has many more connections and the Plattsburgh one hardly has any flights that aren't very expensive.
Small airport, less hassle dealing with customs via car than airport.
Cheap flights (Allegiant Air.)
I occasionally use it, as it’s much easier to fly from Sanford FL to Plattsburgh than from Orlando International to Montreal.

Old 01-13-2024, 07:15 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
New York.

Plattsburgh is nicknamed "Montreal's U.S. suburb."

Montreal and NYC are also only 5 hours or so apart by car, making the I-87 corridor through the entire state of NY a direct, important link between Quebec and NY state.
Half of Quebec's population lives in Montreal.

In short, New York, as the most important city in Quebec is directly tied to the most important city in NY (and the US.)

https://theimtc.com/border-data/national-ranking/
Id give it to Maine. I used to go to Plattsburgh all the time. While it is a sliver of French Canadian culture (kind of), theres not a whole lot of connection between Canada and that area. Then when you leave Plattsburgh and the French signage, Montreal/Quebec becomes irrelevant. I’d wager Maine as a whole has more connection with Quebec. Go north of Burlington VT too and you see the same things.

Although I think in Plattsburgh’s county 30% of people are Habs fans, 35% Bruins fans and 35% mix. Thats the highest Montreal / Quebec fandom of anywhere in the US. Even border counties in Maine and VT are only like 10-20%. Thats one way you could alsp measure it if unsure.

Old 01-13-2024, 07:17 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshadow914 View Post
In the PNW region of the US, Washington is very culturally connected to British Columbia, Canada, so much so that the border is almost non existent for many. Seattle and Vancouver have a similar climate and "the Seattle freeze" exists in both cities. When it comes to northeast region of the US, you have states like New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine that border Quebec. Which of these states would you say is the most connected to Quebec?
First is New York.

Anyone who visits the Adirondacks and sees all the Canadian flags and Canadian license plates will understand the cultural connection between Canada and New York. Then there are the connections between Montreal and New York City.

And economically and politically, New York State is Quebec's number one trading partner and the province actually has a Delegate General (like an Ambassador) to represent it in New York City. Quebec considers its New York office to be its primary diplomatic office in the United States.

https://www.c2mi.ca/en/press-release...nship-crucial/

https://www.quebec.ca/en/gouvernemen...uebec-new-york

Second is probably Vermont. Third is probably Maine.

Vermont is almost as connected as New York to the main population centers of Quebec and probably attracts Quebec tourists, especially the ski slopes in winter. Maine is arguably one of the most beautiful and least spoiled states in the Northeast but it is relatively hard to get to for many Quebecois. Mountains, distance between population centers and lack of good roads separate the two. Maine actually has better connections with New Brunswick.

Fourth is New Hampshire.

You actually have to drive through Vermont to get to New Hampshire. New Hampshire has the White Mountains, highest in the Northeast but you have to bypass both New York and Vermont to get there.

And then there is FLORIDA.

I am not kidding lol. It would not surprise me if Quebec has closer links these days than it does to New Hampshire and possibly some of the others.

Old 01-13-2024, 07:32 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Here's a very different argument for NY (which is what I voted for).

Many people of certain ethnicities have family in both NYC and Montreal. Jews, Italians, and Haitians particularly come to my mind on that.

Old 01-13-2024, 07:44 AM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times
There are many families in northern Vermont with common Quebecois last names (Tremblay, Pelletier, Bouchard, Roy etc.) but it's been several generations removed from the time that their Quebec ancestors came to New England to settle and work. There is little to no French being spoken here and even in the border towns. There are still some connections as a few logistics companies based in Quebec have operations here. The area has its share of Montreal Canadians fans.

The Eastern Townships of Quebec do have a deep historical connection to New England as many New Englanders settled there including some loyalists back in the 18th century. Many towns look and feel identical to Vermont, and cities like Sherbrooke have the feel of a New England mill town with most of the historical railroad connections and industry closely connected to New England.

In the 21st century I don't think Vermont is that important to Quebec other than some draw with larger ski mountains, particularly Jay Peak and perhaps some tourist interest for Burlington. Old Orchard Beach and Hampton Beach, even Cape Cod are more of a destination for the Quebecois in the summer so I'd wager most are just passing through Vermont. I think the answer to the thread question is New York just in raw numbers. Maine probably has the largest remaining Francophone connections, but much of Maine seems much more similar and connected to the Maritimes.

Having Quebec and Montreal close by is a huge part of the appeal for living in northern Vermont. I like Vermont on its own well enough, it feels like home to me. But I don't think I could live here if not for the benefit of having one of North Amenrica's best cities pound for pound for urban charm, density, vibrancy, history, & character so close by. Montreal is a fantastic city, and having been cut off from it for two years during the pandemic really sucked. I-89 north of Burlington felt like and essentially was a dead end road during that time.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 01-13-2024 at 08:06 AM..

Old 01-13-2024, 11:49 AM

913 posts, read 559,331 times
Easily, Maine, though that's largely unknown by most other Americans. There's deep longstanding interpenetration of rural people & culture (not urban Quebecois).

Old 01-13-2024, 11:49 AM

5,459 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Woonsocket RI had plenty of French Canadian immigrants and it's not even listed.
Woonsocket having plenty of French Canadian immigrants gives Rhode Island a leg up on the other unlisted New England states for the honor of being the 5th-most Quebec-connected state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.