Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 03:48 PM

37,272 posts, read 39,586,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Dana Point isn't even my favorite place in Southern California, but it just was a place he cited in his environment. It's more a general comment on California coastal locations. The natural environment is the kind of pretty that "Northerners" such as myself tend to associate with childhood vacation nostalgia.

Obviously tastes differ but I think there's definitely majority and minority views. Given by the nation's persistent population push south and west over the last 80 years, I think it's safe to say the majority of people find something in those locales that's immensely appealing compared to locations in the Northeast and Midwest.
Dana Point isn't my favorite place in Southern California either, but it's what the OP mentioned. There are parts of central New York I might take over Dana Point, but I don't know what he's referring to as the area varies and there aren't many details on the situation or his preferences.

Obviously tastes differ as we've both said. This forum has probably more than a few people who are aware that this nation since its founding has been pushing west and south for its entire existence except for a notable exception of Alaska and less notable, much more minor exceptions. There are a lot of different reasons for that push at different time periods and there have been and are a lot of different people and preferences moving in different directions. I have different preferences, and I'm from Southern California and the best trips I associate with my childhood are interesting neighborhoods and sites in East Asian megacities and East Asian rural countrysides and forests. The worst thing had been private automobile-oriented suburbia with comparatively little sense of community and little to do that constantly diminishes the natural or rural beauty around it and makes it less and less accessible or desirable to me.

Clearly, the OP wishes to stay in Orange County if he can make the finances work, but it's also not clear that he can make the finances work. If he wants any help though, he probably needs to give out more information. Is he going to be just slightly less up ****'s creek financially if he moves or significantly up? Does getting in the family business entail other kind of things with his family involved in the business whether negative or positive? Does this require a lot more work? Are he or his spouse prone to seasonal affective disorder? Does he need to live or work in a specific part of Central New York? Would his spouse be able to find work or does that spouse not work at all? What did he or his spouse dislike in central New York and was it specific to the situation he lived in at the time? What did he or his spouse like about central New York and are perhaps those points even better now? What is it about southern OC that he would miss the most, and is some part of that more accessible in central New York now than when he used to live there or would become more accessible with potentially having more money on hand if he moved to central New York?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2024, 08:10 PM

5,553 posts, read 3,967,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Dana Point isn't my favorite place in Southern California either, but it's what the OP mentioned. There are parts of central New York I might take over Dana Point, but I don't know what he's referring to as the area varies and there aren't many details on the situation or his preferences.

Obviously tastes differ as we've both said. This forum has probably more than a few people who are aware that this nation since its founding has been pushing west and south for its entire existence except for a notable exception of Alaska and less notable, much more minor exceptions. There are a lot of different reasons for that push at different time periods and there have been and are a lot of different people and preferences moving in different directions. I have different preferences, and I'm from Southern California and the best trips I associate with my childhood are interesting neighborhoods and sites in East Asian megacities and East Asian rural countrysides and forests. The worst thing had been private automobile-oriented suburbia with comparatively little sense of community and little to do that constantly diminishes the natural or rural beauty around it and makes it less and less accessible or desirable to me.

Clearly, the OP wishes to stay in Orange County if he can make the finances work, but it's also not clear that he can make the finances work. If he wants any help though, he probably needs to give out more information. Is he going to be just slightly less up ****'s creek financially if he moves or significantly up? Does getting in the family business entail other kind of things with his family involved in the business whether negative or positive? Does this require a lot more work? Are he or his spouse prone to seasonal affective disorder? Does he need to live or work in a specific part of Central New York? Would his spouse be able to find work or does that spouse not work at all? What did he or his spouse dislike in central New York and was it specific to the situation he lived in at the time? What did he or his spouse like about central New York and are perhaps those points even better now? What is it about southern OC that he would miss the most, and is some part of that more accessible in central New York now than when he used to live there or would become more accessible with potentially having more money on hand if he moved to central New York?
Great post! OP could run down the line and consider all of your questions. He doesn't even have to post his answers here, but it'd be a valuable exercise for him to ponder all the angles you mention

Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM

47 posts, read 72,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Why are you staying? What’s the motivation?
I’m just scared to bring my kids and wife somewhere new and to fail.
They have their beaches and parks they like here… we know the area…doctors here.
California is obviously one of the best states to live in the climate is great there is a lot to do but it can also be hell for people like me.. when you’re priced out.

As of right now, the business I was offered had been taken away, they decided to go ahead and sell their entire property… even though I packed my stuff and was planning to move my family there. So right now I’m just in a really stressful position kids are still under 3 but they’re getting older my wife is getting antsy and I am in a tough position as the head of the family.

I am still considering NY but less than before since the business is not going to be mine any longer

Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM

12,905 posts, read 9,640,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playstation4Evr View Post
They have their beaches and parks they like here… we know the area…doctors here.
California is obviously one of the best states to live in the climate is great there is a lot to do but it can also be hell for people like me.. when you’re priced out.

As of right now, the business I was offered had been taken away, they decided to go ahead and sell their entire property… even though I packed my stuff and was planning to move my family there. So right now I’m just in a really stressful position kids are still under 3 but they’re getting older my wife is getting antsy and I am in a tough position as the head of the family.

I am still considering NY but less than before since the business is not going to be mine any longer
Bummer. I’d head somewhere where I have a lot of support.

Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM

93,815 posts, read 124,552,237 times
Quote:

If you don’t mind me asking, what kind of business was this that they sold?

Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM

1,085 posts, read 809,086 times
Quote:

That's discouraging, I'm sorry.

California is a nice place to live, but there are nice places all over the US. If you can't really afford OC then is it really the best?

You can be encouraged knowing that millions of people have gone before you moving out of California. People love to hear the stories of things going badly (if it bleeds, it leads), but the vast vast majority end up thriving and loving their new location.

If you have reasonable employment prospects in CNY and family connections there that still seems like a good option.

But you may also consider other places. This forum is a great resource for getting ideas. You may consider starting another with a bit more about your preferences, line of work, etc. to ask for suggestions. Maybe someplace more affordable in California, or even other state you've never considered. Instead of fearing this change, it may be an opportunity for something better than you thought possible.

Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM

12,905 posts, read 9,640,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
That's discouraging, I'm sorry.

California is a nice place to live, but there are nice places all over the US. If you can't really afford OC then is it really the best?

You can be encouraged knowing that millions of people have gone before you moving out of California. People love to hear the stories of things going badly (if it bleeds, it leads), but the vast vast majority end up thriving and loving their new location.

If you have reasonable employment prospects in CNY and family connections there that still seems like a good option.

But you may also consider other places. This forum is a great resource for getting ideas. You may consider starting another with a bit more about your preferences, line of work, etc. to ask for suggestions. Maybe someplace more affordable in California, or even other state you've never considered. Instead of fearing this change, it may be an opportunity for something better than you thought possible.
I feel like there’s a lot we don’t know here. From the outside looking in, maybe op waited too long? There’s family dynamics at play? IMHO California is great if you have a lot of money but you can be happy ANYWHERE. Especially if you are around family. I’d love to live in nyc or Milan, but not in my budget and that’s ok. I’m curious if this is an ego thing or what? Trust me I’ve been there myself

Old Today, 11:28 AM

47 posts, read 72,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I feel like there’s a lot we don’t know here. From the outside looking in, maybe op waited too long? There’s family dynamics at play? IMHO California is great if you have a lot of money but you can be happy ANYWHERE. Especially if you are around family. I’d love to live in nyc or Milan, but not in my budget and that’s ok. I’m curious if this is an ego thing or what? Trust me I’ve been there myself
Well, they told me yeah come on down the business is yours so I agree I pack up .. and then I get a call two weeks later with “we got a big offer on the property and we are going to follow thru with it, but we will help you once it sells” basically. My family is old school , they fear new things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.