Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 12:44 PM

8 posts, read 21,276 times

Advertisements

Thanks captain, I will try that approach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 12:51 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,747,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I think its fair that parents get first dibs on the "big-ticket" items.
Yeah, parents need first dibs. They should be the heroes

Old 06-25-2013, 12:53 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,747,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolij4 View Post
It is extraodinarily rude and controlling for my daughter to deliberately keep secret what my grandkids want for Christmas simply because she doesn't want me to buy them a specific gift.

If this is how she truly wants to parent, then she should have the chutzpah to say it to my face.

"Sorry but the items at the top of the list are for me to get because I am their mother. You can get them something else."

But instead, it's all very cloak and dagger and a big power grab.

I have no problem buying them pajamas. I have a problem with the way my daughter tries to control the gift-giving dynamic. It's sad and disturbing.

Have you had the chutzpah to say your feelings to her face? Give her all of the facts, and tell her that you want to give nicer gifts than pajamas. Hopefully if she is confronted, then you will get somewhere. Maybe sit both of the parents down at the same time.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:54 PM

22,642 posts, read 47,813,230 times
Quote:
I am amazed that most of you don't think this deceit is wrong.
Deceit?
Great gravy!
There is no deceit in parents calling first dibs on their children's gift choices.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:56 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,831,594 times
Tell your daugher, "daughter, I want to buy something grandkid wants, not what you think he/she needs."

Old 06-25-2013, 12:57 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,763,354 times
Maybe your youngest daughter just hasn't figured out how to diplomatically deal with control freaks yet?

Old 06-25-2013, 01:18 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,391,268 times
Oh Geez, Grandma, just back off a bit.

As a parent and the parent to the only grandchildren on both DH and my side of the family, I tell them what the kids need. Otherwise, we would be overflowing with things that I am not ready nor want to have. As a parent, I also want to be the one to buy that special gift that they have been wanting.

Maybe if you would back off a bit, and stop being so aggressive it would help the communication with your daughter.

and BTW, there is nothing deceitful about what your dd is doing.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:35 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,225,680 times
Quote:
It is extraodinarily rude and controlling for my daughter to deliberately keep secret what my grandkids want for Christmas simply because she doesn't want me to buy them a specific gift.

If this is how she truly wants to parent, then she should have the chutzpah to say it to my face.

"Sorry but the items at the top of the list are for me to get because I am their mother. You can get them something else."

But instead, it's all very cloak and dagger and a big power grab.

I have no problem buying them pajamas. I have a problem with the way my daughter tries to control the gift-giving dynamic. It's sad and disturbing.
i find this post sad and disturbing. let's think about who is really trying to grab the power here. hint, it isn't your daughter.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:10 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,216,173 times
I wonder if the OP wants to be the "big hero" and buy the grandkids the big presents so that they love you the most?

Gifts don't buy love. For various reasons my parents never bought ANY presents (no birthday, no Christmas, no graduation presents, none) for any of their grandchildren. Occasionally, my father would find a special rock or colored leaf or pretty wildflowers while on nature walks and give them to a grandchild or write a poem for them. Or my mother may share a special recipe or cooking tip but no presents, ever!

Yet, their love and caring for their grandchildren was so strong that all of their grandchildren loved them deeply. My son wrote a paper in high school describing how his grandfather was the person who he admired most in the world. My brother, his wife & his children wrote a 500 page book which started out as stories about my parents and their grandchildren.

OP, I wouldn't worry about who buys what big present for what grandkid, just be the kind of grandmother who can give your grandchild a piece of ribbon (that had wrapped a present that you received) and your granddaughter loved you enough to use that ribbon for years as an extra special bookmark and a reminder of your love. Just like my daughter did for her grandmother, my mother.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:14 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,128,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
i find this post sad and disturbing. let's think about who is really trying to grab the power here. hint, it isn't your daughter.
Agreed.

Maybe you could try to spend some time with them. Kids are pretty open about their wants and likes. It's sad that you have no idea what to buy a child for Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents