Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 12:39 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapiron View Post
Sorry, you are wrong...I do not steal, cheat and do my best not to lie.
Oh, you're saying that no c does any of those things?
I'd say you're being dishonest in your assessment. The jails are full of c's.

Do your best not to lie - aren't you saying that you do sometimes lie?
Point made.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:47 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i am confused by your use of he word bully. for me (chicago) this means a bloody nose and sore ribs. you just mean domineering female behavior? very common pecking behavior among southern women.
dominance is not a male game. i suspect that this issue-- that you are not comfortable with-- also shows up in other invironments-- no?
Bullying for a lot of people has nothing to do with being physically injured. Have you not seen the stories in the news about teens bullied at school and online (basically psychologically tortured) to the point where they killed themselves? Just because there are no bruises doesn't mean no harm is done.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:31 PM

538 posts, read 1,522,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justnice View Post
Does bulling happen in churches?
Yes, and it's masked very well. I have a good friend who is on staff at a church (okay, he runs the whole place) and I would need a thread just dedicated to the stories he has told me, and that's just one person at one church who is trying their best to not be part of it...

Old 09-22-2011, 01:46 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,729,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i am confused by your use of he word bully. for me (chicago) this means a bloody nose and sore ribs. you just mean domineering female behavior? very common pecking behavior among southern women.
dominance is not a male game. i suspect that this issue-- that you are not comfortable with-- also shows up in other invironments-- no?
Bullying is present whenever an individual or group attempts to intimidate and upset a targeted person with looks, words, actions, gossip, physically aggressive behavior--this can be overt or covert.

It is done to arouse feelings of shame, fear, self-loathing, embarrassment, terror within its intended target. In this light "just domineering female behavior" intended to be harmful becomes harmful. I'm a southern woman, but I call people out on that "Social Pecking Order" bullsh** whenever I encounter it. It's cruel, it's exclusion, it's meant for harm and the perpetrators need to grow up and admit they're doing it just because of a raging insecurity they can't control.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:49 PM

5 posts, read 12,920 times
Well, in point of fact, people who behave like your friend describes are the very ones who NEED church... We should do all we can to encourage them to stay and assimilate the messages they hear about Christ.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:20 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,202,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
"Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car."

^^^^^^ This...right here. AMEN!

Old 09-22-2011, 06:30 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,570,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Bullying for a lot of people has nothing to do with being physically injured. Have you not seen the stories in the news about teens bullied at school and online (basically psychologically tortured) to the point where they killed themselves? Just because there are no bruises doesn't mean no harm is done.
Sad but true...I believe the "Virginia Tech shooting in 2007" was also of this nature.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:34 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
Default reminds a bit of the movie

"Messenger Of Death" with Charles Bronson

Old 09-22-2011, 06:55 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
A church is a human institution, run by human beings with human failings. There are churches with an embracing culture where all members are valued and there are churches that succumb to the worst impulses of human nature, dividing into cliques. Pick up and move to a different church, one that nurtures your ideals.
Agreed,

Seriously, builling in church...just when you thought you heard it all!

Old 09-22-2011, 07:34 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justnice View Post
A really good friend of mine is a member of an american baptist church. We met in college, so I've known her for 20 something years. She is the kindest, friendliest and most considerate person you'll ever meet. For the last several months she's been confiding in me that she's been bullied by some people within the church, and one of them is the pastor's wife. It has come to the point that she and her family want to change church. Does bulling happen in churches? I've never been a church goer and did not grow up in that scenerio. I understand bullies can be found everywhere people are, and I believe her, but find it hard to except the fact that people who say they live by the fruits of the spirit, can actually be quite mean and gossipy. If so, why bother attending church? Is it only for socializing?
Everywhere there are human beings, there are human conflicts, good people and bad people. There are jealousies, sexual tensions, affairs, bullying, hypocrisy, abuse, you name it. Church is no exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates