Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 10:06 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
On a serious note how do you find an "authentic" Chinese restaurant?

Go visit Vancouver BC. You can use the Chinese restaurants there as your basis for what's authentic and then you'll know what to look for when you're looking for authentic Chinese restaurants anywhere else in North America. As a matter of fact, you can use Vancouver's ethnic restaurants as your basis for authenticity for just about any kind of ethnic food.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:10 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
What does one (war with China) have to do with the other (Chinese American Food). Should we also throw all those Chinese-Americans working and owning the restaurants into the slammer?

Old 05-29-2017, 10:33 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I won't be able to resist beef and broccoli and fried rice. I just won't be able to.
Beef and Broccoli isn't real Chinese food. Lol! It's Americanized. I found out the hard way when I was in college and told a Chinese student my favorite Chinese food was Beef and Broccoli. She had never heard of it. Another Chinese student only knew what broccoli was because she worked in a local restaurant.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:18 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Go visit Vancouver BC. You can use the Chinese restaurants there as your basis for what's authentic and then you'll know what to look for when you're looking for authentic Chinese restaurants anywhere else in North America. As a matter of fact, you can use Vancouver's ethnic restaurants as your basis for authenticity for just about any kind of ethnic food.

How do I find one in the U.S. if I don't go to Vancouver or Hohgcouver first? Trouble with my going there is I don't know how to read, write or speak the Canadian language.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:17 PM

1 posts, read 647 times
Can't decide if the post or the responses are more ridiculous. I like it.

Reminds me of a funny story. After just returning from a deployment in Iraq in 2005, I went shopping with my mom at a cultural district in town. We did the whole, "where do you want to eat, I don't care thing." So she decided on gyros at a Mediterranean joint.

Walk in, sit down, and let the PTSD set in. Holy crap. There was a big mosaic of Mecca right there on the wall beside us and the owner/operators were definitely authentic. Might have been the most unnerving thing I experienced upon coming back aside from the unexpected firework show.

But hey, I like gyros (And fireworks) and don't see much of a point in holding somebody back from making a buck. Extra cucumber sauce please.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:27 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I personally haven't come to any definite conclusions about this question. But the harsh reality would be that we would be killing ethnic Chinese as well as them killing us. That is the reality of war plain and simple. I wouldn't expect Chinese restaurant workers to consider me in a friendly way since they would have a sound reason not to like me. The worst scenario would be an attempt on their part to contaminate ones food. I enjoy Chinese food but I think that if there was a war between us and them that I would think twice before eating in a Chinese restaurant.
Since not all Chinese Americans and Chinese immigrants feel, think, and opine the same, I would not make any assumptions about the people who owned any particular Chinese restaurant in such a case. That would be giving in to one of our most hallowed national traditions: wartime xenophobia, in which anyone who 'looks/sounds like the enemy' gets pushed around a lot. It's one of our worst national traits and it'll be a cold day in hell before I participate.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, though. It wouldn't last long. We'd lose, unless we decided that it was time for both sides to lose. They would not invade, I don't think, but they'd certainly take out whatever of our navy got too close to China.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:35 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I personally haven't come to any definite conclusions about this question. But the harsh reality would be that we would be killing ethnic Chinese as well as them killing us. That is the reality of war plain and simple. I wouldn't expect Chinese restaurant workers to consider me in a friendly way since they would have a sound reason not to like me. The worst scenario would be an attempt on their part to contaminate ones food. I enjoy Chinese food but I think that if there was a war between us and them that I would think twice before eating in a Chinese restaurant.
Seriously? OP, most of the Chinese restaurants in the US are Taiwanese or Hong-Kongese. Do your research before you decide whom to boycott. Furthermore, the fact that any Mainland Chinese are here would tell you whose side they're on, wouldn't it? Hint: they vote with their feet. Do you consider all the Russian immigres in the US to be potentially our enemies, too? You have no idea how absurd that is.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:59 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,310,772 times
If we stopped eating at the Chinese restaurants here in Atlanta, we would put a lot of Hispanic people out of work. I don't see how that would help anything, so I'm not changing.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:12 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
How do I find one in the U.S. if I don't go to Vancouver or Hohgcouver first? Trouble with my going there is I don't know how to read, write or speak the Canadian language.
If you see a place where they share dishes, you probably have found an authentic Chinese resturant. If only a few share dishes, then there might be a hidden menu.

There should be a few in big cities like New York and San Francisco.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:42 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,878,349 times
Good grief. Whether or not we would eat the national cuisine of a country we went to war with is the subject of a great debate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates