Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 12:23 AM

20,548 posts, read 17,835,654 times

Advertisements

I received several emails from online retails about black protest and injustice awareness. Then go on to tout how their company stands with the black community yada yada. Sounds more like using this for marketing purposes. I don't see why business companies need to do anything, they have nothing to do with police brutality or black injustice. Those are societal problems not business issues, they should worry about staying out of politics and not pander to this social unrest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 12:32 AM

62,124 posts, read 87,982,234 times
I don't open emails from retailers, except when I order something from them.
You shouldn't either. There might be some that contain a nasty virus...

Old 06-04-2020, 01:15 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
I got one from 23&Me! She even complained about the lack of blacks being represented in her company and practically cried over it as if it was such a tragedy - I guess without realizing that it means she and /or her company is racist and practicing discrimination causing such disproportionate numbers in her ranks.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:17 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,015,652 times
They are trying to capitalize. They don't realize how obviously fake they sound, either.

Ben and Jerry's, however, did well. Because they were real, genuinely empathetic, concise, and they have a history of defending AA civil rights, including rather specific legal and political commentary.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:35 AM

2,793 posts, read 1,656,893 times
If they stay silent, the public will accuse them of not caring. Silence is passive acceptance, and they don't want the public to think they're racist.

And we live in a culture where a company's political and social stance means whether customers stay or leave.

Old 06-04-2020, 04:07 AM

16,238 posts, read 6,992,777 times
My notion is
that all mail and phone solicitations and door
to door salesmen are going the way of the dinosaur.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:33 AM

6,837 posts, read 2,964,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't open emails from retailers, except when I order something from them.
You shouldn't either. There might be some that contain a nasty virus...
That might be how the Covid-19 virus started. Just saying . . .

Old 06-04-2020, 07:49 AM

22,116 posts, read 9,687,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I received several emails from online retails about black protest and injustice awareness. Then go on to tout how their company stands with the black community yada yada. Sounds more like using this for marketing purposes. I don't see why business companies need to do anything, they have nothing to do with police brutality or black injustice. Those are societal problems not business issues, they should worry about staying out of politics and not pander to this social unrest.
Agree. They did the same thing on Covid and as much a supporter of capitalism as I am, I find this disgusting to try to make $$ off these tragedies.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:00 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,895,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Agree. They did the same thing on Covid and as much a supporter of capitalism as I am, I find this disgusting to try to make $$ off these tragedies.
In many cases, I believe these "We're all in this together .... Come, buy our products" COVID-19 TV ads and emails are written by young, idealistic people with only a theoretical knowledge of real life. I don't think they realize how patronizing and fake they sound.

The same folks are attempting to $capitalize on black injustice by appealing to that audience/market, "We're on your side ... Come, buy our products." Of course, the vapid, empty, talking-heads on what seems to qualify as "news" these days -- do the same thing 24/7.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:03 AM

6,750 posts, read 6,001,216 times
My advice to companies: Stay out of politics!

The minute you get into politics, you risk angering one side or the other.

I'd rather they say, "Dear customer, we are working to help the nation recover from the pandemic and build future prosperity and jobs to benefit all people around the country!" and leave it at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates