Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 08:15 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,872,762 times

Advertisements

The "R" word is so popular these days, and people are using it as a way to bully others, even while using it where it doesn't make sense. I especially love it when white people who have no clue about the black experience use the word freely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 11:07 AM

97 posts, read 42,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't think it's about what opinions "may be popular", as if it's about passing fads. The norms relating to what's acceptable to say in public discourse are changing, fortunately, in the direction of respecting others. You know, like many children were taught to do by their parents, except that historically, quite a few groups were considered by some to be unworthy of that basic respect, simply by accident of birth. Sounds kinda unfair doesn't it?

So, much of the country is on board with the idea of humanity moving forward, becoming more inclusive and *cough* "civilized", if you will, and considerate and thoughtful of others. In view of this reality, we expect our leaders to be on board with that, as well, and to be mindful of the improving norms especially when speaking in public. Many citizens also hope, that they would be equally mindful in private.

This is why it's considered scandalous, when some public figures speak like Neanderthals. This is why it's disturbing, when ordinary schmoes do the same. Generally, the majority of the population I think it's safe to assume, favors progress in human relations, not regress.

Define "bullying" for the purpose of this discussion, please. Clarification needed.
I agree with much of what you said except that this may be the IDEAL but how it is being carried out it is very ridiculous and often extreme. Not to mention hypocritical!

- Why does Paw Patrol need to be cancelled because it has a friendly police dog?
- Why should people boycott Dominos pizza because they said thank you for compliment on their pizza made by the White House press secretary years before anyone knew who she was or that she would someday work for Trump?
- Why should people be fired for things they said YEARS ago?
- Why should movies like Gone with the Wind be banned or shows like COPS? Are people truly so sensitive and incapable of realizing that some things are a product of their time? Are we going to sterilize and homogonyze everything? Who gets to be the gatekeeper?
- Why does a mob get to decide by threat of violence or force, what statues the rest of us are allowed to have?
- Why do we need to rename everything, as if we can erase history?
- Why do we hypocritically give a PASS to one of the most vulgar and offensive forms of expression there is: Rap music? How come if we are so civilized and so considerate, I can go out in a public place and have to be subjected to some of the most vile, disgusting language being shouted over someone's loudspeaker, with f-bombs, derogatory language towards women and glorification of violence and crime? I might be out with my young kids who soak everything up like a sponge! I have even heard some of the worst of this played on speakers in public restaurants.
Think about THAT for a moment! We live in a society that says Paw Patrol should be canceled but hardcore gangster rap is just fine.

Old 06-17-2020, 12:43 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
RE: bolded--Really? Can you give examples of people's jobs being threatened because of their personal opinions? To be honest, I've never been in a workplace, where people offered personal opinions about anything but work-related matters. I don't treat work like a coffee klatsch, but YMMV.
I've read plenty of posts in Work and Employment of co-workers talking politics and social issues. "Water cooler" talk.

People's jobs being threatened: This could be happening all over the country, but since it doesn't make it to the news, we don't know. But there have been many cases on the news lately of regular people being filmed making racist comments, the video going viral on social media, and then the person getting fired for it.

Last edited by sas318; 06-17-2020 at 01:09 PM..

Old 06-17-2020, 01:03 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,487,298 times
I was thinking the same thing yesterday morning.

I remember getting hit on a forum about a year ago for something I posted. Mod sends me a message that the OP was offended by my comment. I replied that I am offended that he is offended. That ended the discussion.

What happened to the anti-bullying lobby?

Old 06-17-2020, 01:34 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
I've read plenty of posts in Work and Employment of co-workers talking politics and social issues. "Water cooler" talk.

People's jobs being threatened: This could be happening all over the country, but since it doesn't make it to the news, we don't know. But there have been many cases on the news lately of regular people being filmed making racist comments, the video going viral on social media, and then the person getting fired for it.
OK, thank you. Just wondering; have there been any "wrongful termination" suits resulting from this? Seems like there's a potential case for it. I doubt there are any employee handbooks that state "Thou shalt not...."

Old 06-17-2020, 02:27 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastwalk444 View Post
I agree with much of what you said except that this may be the IDEAL but how it is being carried out it is very ridiculous and often extreme. Not to mention hypocritical!

- Why does Paw Patrol need to be cancelled because it has a friendly police dog?
- Why should people boycott Dominos pizza because they said thank you for compliment on their pizza made by the White House press secretary years before anyone knew who she was or that she would someday work for Trump?
- Why should movies like Gone with the Wind be banned or shows like COPS? Are people truly so sensitive and incapable of realizing that some things are a product of their time? Are we going to sterilize and homogonyze everything? Who gets to be the gatekeeper?
- Why does a mob get to decide by threat of violence or force, what statues the rest of us are allowed to have?
- Why do we hypocritically give a PASS to one of the most vulgar and offensive forms of expression there is: Rap music? How come if we are so civilized and so considerate, I can go out in a public place and have to be subjected to some of the most vile, disgusting language being shouted over someone's loudspeaker, with f-bombs, derogatory language towards women and glorification of violence and crime? I might be out with my young kids who soak everything up like a sponge! I have even heard some of the worst of this played on speakers in public restaurants.
Think about THAT for a moment! We live in a society that says Paw Patrol should be canceled but hardcore gangster rap is just fine.
They're all doing it to save face and to placate BLM. "Gone with the Wind" will be back for sure; I think HBO already announced it.

People have complained over the years about rap music, but it's black culture, so no one dares mess with it.

Old 06-17-2020, 02:33 PM

6,791 posts, read 4,236,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastwalk444 View Post

It doesn't surprise me they're going after the confederate stuff and blackface and all that stuff which has always been controversial and is linked to this country's race issues in the past.

It's pretty weird though to see this narrative of the police as the real villains being treated as gospel by mega corporations who all presumably rely on the police to protect their facilities and assets. Like from now on the only acceptable media treatment of cops is as racist pigs, any positive portrayal needs to be removed.

Old 06-17-2020, 02:50 PM

19,023 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
I actually don't feel bullied, because I'm a reasonable debater who uses rational thinking and tend not to be influenced by emotion and biased media/ culture.

Oh, that totally reminded me of situation I had.
I had a patient who completely missed all recommendations, clearly explained to her, before her custom brace was fabricated. CLEARLY explained. I have been doing this for 26 years, I learned from School of Hard Knocks to make sure they understand, what shoe to wear for fitting and how not to allow your leg swell, or brace will not fit.
So she shows up without compression stocking on and in skin tight one of them skinny slipper type things on her feet..
To what, I pointed out, that I can't fit her as is because of the swollen leg and wrong shoe.
To what she tells me I never told her about this.

M'am, sorry, I always do..
No, you never did, and I can tell, she starts getting hot.

So here was my stupidity. I said, M'am, please, let's calm down and have intelligent conversation.

For the next 15 minutes, I was yelled at. I had to listen to entire gamut of accusations, how I consider her lower kind, disrespect her and so on. My 2 office girls got scared craplees, it was so bad. How she didn't get into slavery thing, I am only wondering. I had her finger waved in front of my face in best cultural traditions.

That's to your " I'm a reasonable debater who uses rational thinking"

Good luck.

Now my patients get offended because I, literally, do not talk to them. Can't say a word without someone getting offended over whatever they choose to get offended over. And then, you have to hear from your employer "because it's bad for business".

People figured it very fast that, they can turn your life into misery very easily. And, you WILL bow to them, as you want your job, at least or, not dealing with lawyers, at worst. So they will turn you into door mat, just because they can. And it will be YOUR job to prove, after years of torment, that you had nothing bad done.

Old 06-17-2020, 03:06 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
[quote=. . .but it's black culture, so no one dares mess with it.[/QUOTE]
Most of my Black friends over fifty find Gangster Rap as annoying and obnoxious as I do.

Old 06-17-2020, 03:08 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
We often hear of a CEO, politician, or celebrity of some sort being fired, demoted, or punished because they made a statement that was not received well by "oppressed group #1" or "oppressed group #2", etc. Is this a process of the free market, as many would argue, or is it that people are getting far too sensitive in this country and they want everyone to think the same? Who sets that moral compass? It seems that there are groups who want to define the tone for morality and values in the country.

People want to have their own beliefs, and at the same time desire others to believe the same as they. Is this acceptable in your opinion? Is any certain moral standpoint superior to another? Why do we punish those whose thoughts/ opinions don't line up with what may be considered popular? You can say this happens with a variety of social issues, just pick one. I personally believe it's dangerous to our freedom as a country and a people, to be reluctant to express personal views for fear of retribution.

We should always stand for justice - this is truth! But should we bully others until they agree with us on other issues? This is a very popular tactic being used today. Say something that suits their agenda, and you're safe. This has been done before in history - and had dire consequences eventually.

Check this out for some perspective on different cultures of morality and where my discussion is coming from: https://youtu.be/XeecFbviXt0
The phenomenon you describe has existed since the first tribes began to form among humans. The reality is that shame/shunning is a way societies form cohesive social norms that form the basis of shared identity and understanding. 50-60 years ago it would have been the people saying "Black Lives Matter" or "Marriage Equality" who would be losing their jobs, getting harassed and basically iced out of mainstream society. The only difference between 1960 and 2020 is simply which groups are the "in" versus the "out".

Is this okay? Well, I guess one has to ask themselves how do you feel about someone/an organization who holds a viewpoint you find goes deeply against your own values. My own personal example is as someone with Autism, I seethe when people talk about "Curing Autism" as if I'm someone who needs to be "cured". If I saw a shop that donated to such causes I might decide not to patronize them. Freedom of association is also freedom of disassociation.

Now, having said that, I do think a lot of this is people/companies feeling like they need to swim with the tide rather than taking a thoughtful, introspective look at their own honest attitudes and feelings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates