Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2021, 08:28 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,662,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
1) Forget about RATES altogether... focus on the RAW numbers involved.
2) Think about where the saturation point of too many people lies.
3) Think about how many decades ago we passed that mark.
To me, the saturation point is dependent on climate, technology and human psyche. Basically, how many people can we cram into a space before we go crazy and/or mother nature thins the herd. So "raw numbers, although helpful, aren't the only consideration.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think we reacted the carrying capacity yet. The one variable for me is waste and extinction. So we may be under carrying capacity now but that can change.

I also believe that we make the human (homo[whatever]) in 200 years or less.

So I am hopeful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 08:44 AM

34,196 posts, read 83,379,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
To me, the saturation point ...how many people can we cram into a space before we go crazy ...
I'd call that the end point. The saturation point comes long before then.

Old 07-28-2021, 11:45 AM

25,715 posts, read 17,486,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Interesting. As quality of life goes up, birth rates decline. And having kids is very expensive but I guess it always has been that way.

I am just not sure what to think.
I think your observation, which I highlighted, is worth pondering....

As for the expense of kids, when I was a child it was commonly understood that children are like money in the bank in that they will care for you when you get old. That line of thinking is pretty much extinct, but it did reflect the reality of a rural lifestyle. People who lived in the countryside had many reasons to have many children, principle among them being chores and security.. Nowadays urban mothers have many reasons NOT to have many children.

I don't think the human race will become extinct. I do believe it will become smaller - a lot smaller - and the new, sparsely populated but tech savvy earth may become a very fine place to live once the "shrinking pains" are dealt with.

Old 07-28-2021, 04:53 PM

6,752 posts, read 6,002,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I think your observation, which I highlighted, is worth pondering....

As for the expense of kids, when I was a child it was commonly understood that children are like money in the bank in that they will care for you when you get old. That line of thinking is pretty much extinct, but it did reflect the reality of a rural lifestyle. People who lived in the countryside had many reasons to have many children, principle among them being chores and security.. Nowadays urban mothers have many reasons NOT to have many children.

I don't think the human race will become extinct. I do believe it will become smaller - a lot smaller - and the new, sparsely populated but tech savvy earth may become a very fine place to live once the "shrinking pains" are dealt with.
Children are much, much more than "chores and security". They are wonderful.

But it's true that people in the cities are being brainwashed to believe that they are just an annoying and expensive burden.

Old 07-28-2021, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Children are much, much more than "chores and security". They are wonderful.

But it's true that people in the cities are being brainwashed to believe that they are just an annoying and expensive burden.
The wonderfulness of children is not in dispute.

Women of the world are having fewer children than ever before and they are setting lower records each successive year. In due time there will be a population decline, and maybe even something akin to a population crash.
In order to believe the "brainwash" theory it would be necessary to believe it is taking place all over the world, in all languages, all at once. Doesn't sound feasible to me.

Old 07-29-2021, 03:32 AM

34,196 posts, read 83,379,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Women of the world are having fewer children than ever before.
Good for them! and regardless of what their specific motivation may be.

But we're still not motivating anywhere near enough of them to join their sisters.
Start with some sort of meaningful reward to delay the first child -- to age 25ish.
Allow them that time to be educated and to develop a life of their own first.

Old 07-29-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:

But we're still not motivating anywhere near enough of them to join their sisters.
Start with some sort of meaningful reward to delay the first child -- to age 25ish.
***Warning: unpopular/counter-trend opinions ahead!***

It's better, and healthier, to have children younger, around 18 or 19.

If you want to have a life of your own, then have your children early, and live with your parents, who (usually) are more experienced and able to help you raise them. That's their biological role once you have become an adult. The great mistakes we "modern" people make are (1) thinking we need to move out first thing, (2) wait to marry/have children, and (3) cut the parents out of the equation.

I would argue the world would be more peaceful and maybe even slower pop. growth if we did the above.

Village-raised people are more stable and healthy than city-raised people. We have this lame thing called "K-12 school" that substitutes for a real upbringing. Go spend time in an African village and see how amazing the children are, how they spend their time learning about the real world, telling stories, play-acting, singing and dancing and learning the traditions. What do our kids do? drugs & sex & rock-n-roll or today's equivalents: frappuccino's and body shaming and Tik-Tok.

Africa as a continent is messed up and has too-high pop. growth, true, but I believe that is unrelated to the factors discussed above. It has more to do with conflict, disease and poverty resulting from colonization and resulting independence and warlordism.

Old 07-29-2021, 09:41 AM

1,712 posts, read 799,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
***Warning: unpopular/counter-trend opinions ahead!***

It's better, and healthier, to have children younger, around 18 or 19.

If you want to have a life of your own, then have your children early, and live with your parents, who (usually) are more experienced and able to help you raise them. That's their biological role once you have become an adult. The great mistakes we "modern" people make are (1) thinking we need to move out first thing, (2) wait to marry/have children, and (3) cut the parents out of the equation.

I would argue the world would be more peaceful and maybe even slower pop. growth if we did the above.

Village-raised people are more stable and healthy than city-raised people. We have this lame thing called "K-12 school" that substitutes for a real upbringing. Go spend time in an African village and see how amazing the children are, how they spend their time learning about the real world, telling stories, play-acting, singing and dancing and learning the traditions. What do our kids do? drugs & sex & rock-n-roll or today's equivalents: frappuccino's and body shaming and Tik-Tok.

Africa as a continent is messed up and has too-high pop. growth, true, but I believe that is unrelated to the factors discussed above. It has more to do with conflict, disease and poverty resulting from colonization and resulting independence and warlordism.
Impossible in today's society, the Welfare System would explode. How many women would want to do this, if it meant a higher likelihood of spending a significant amount of their lives in poverty? Especially with all of the better options now available to them.

Old 07-29-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
Impossible in today's society, the Welfare System would explode. How many women would want to do this, if it meant a higher likelihood of spending a significant amount of their lives in poverty? Especially with all of the better options now available to them.
In our society, it's true that poor and uneducated women have children very young, but they are completely unprepared and unequipped for the job.

If there were more support i.e. parental preparedness, better education, career paths for young mothers etc., then having children young is great and it shouldn't result in a lifetime of poverty.

Old 07-29-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:

That's almost exactly where USA is. 26.4 years is the average age of first time mothers in USA.
You may look up any country using the link. You will find countries like Afghanistan and Zimbabwe cover the 19 year old category. Developed countries have older mothers.

And that's pretty much what experts tell us. As women become more emancipated and families move in from the countryside the average age of first time mothers rises and they have fewer children.

The figures are in and the facts have been laid bare; world population has just about peaked. It will now decline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates