Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2023, 09:16 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 13 days ago)

730 posts, read 346,005 times

Advertisements

I can't see it being a culture shock for people who are interested in small towns and don't view people in rural areas in a negative way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2023, 09:58 AM

53 posts, read 68,666 times
Great input, all. And I certainly don't see people living in small rural towns negatively at all so that's not what I meant by culture shock. My shock may be in what the town has, what it doesn't and how much I would have to adjust and that's really what I'm trying to gauge by all of the responses.

Old 07-07-2023, 12:28 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,869,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
The culture shock would be incredible.
Exactly what I was thinking. I was involved with the SC Native Plant Society and there are some interesting natural ares nearby that I have visited 3 or 4 times. There's a good Mexican restaurant. Aside from that there is NOTHING that would interest a northeastener and yes, there would be a lot of culture shock.

Old 07-07-2023, 12:52 PM

Savannah Lakes probably has a lot of people from the northeast. Northeast people are not interchangeable parts.

Looks the village has pickleball courts and other social activities. Should be able to meet people out there, probably easier than a bigger city. Hickory Knob State Park has a nice golf course on the lake. You can rent kayaks there.

It's be a good idea to talk to people who live down there.

There are people who say Greenville is a culture shock too despite its size. Think that's more about their personality.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 07-07-2023 at 01:24 PM..

Old 07-07-2023, 01:24 PM

Thanks, LakeMan. I do plan on speaking to some of the residents when I can schedule a visit. And, in researching a few other Southern communities, there seems to be a lot of transplants from all over the country so I would assume that SLV would be no different.

On another note, I might be misreading a couple of the comments here but it seems like Northeastener's might not be as welcomed as others? I'd be curious as to why that might be unless I am mistaking the intent...

Old 07-07-2023, 01:37 PM

I think they assume the people down there are mostly religious and social conservatives. They don't like that.

It looks like they are living in Charlotte and Raleigh suburbs. many NC people don't like much in SC outside of downtown Charleston, downtown Greenville, Mt pleasant, and Hilton Head.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 07-07-2023 at 01:48 PM..

Old 07-07-2023, 01:56 PM

What's unfortunate is that after just a couple of posts they seem to believe that they know my background and beliefs. A bit presumptuous and offensively so if you ask me but I've seen a little bit of that no matter where I've been across the country so I can look beyond it easily enough. Very surprised that it comes from a realtor of all people too but fortunately I've also found that the majority of people are not like that.

Old 07-07-2023, 06:10 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,869,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaserP View Post
Thanks, LakeMan. I do plan on speaking to some of the residents when I can schedule a visit. And, in researching a few other Southern communities, there seems to be a lot of transplants from all over the country so I would assume that SLV would be no different.

On another note, I might be misreading a couple of the comments here but it seems like Northeastener's might not be as welcomed as others? I'd be curious as to why that might be unless I am mistaking the intent...
OP there are many transplants from the northeast in SC; I was one. Never felt unwelcome, even in the small towns we visited. OTOH I would not want to live in one of those small towns as there would not be enough to do, unless I wanted to explore nature all day or drive a distance for shopping and other activities.

Old 07-07-2023, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
OP there are many transplants from the northeast in SC; I was one. Never felt unwelcome, even in the small towns we visited. OTOH I would not want to live in one of those small towns as there would not be enough to do, unless I wanted to explore nature all day or drive a distance for shopping and other activities.
I can understand that, BRB, and maybe it's just me but I would ask the questions of goals before stating that all McCormick has to offer anyone is 3 or 4 nature spots and a Mexican restaurant. I would think that anyone selling a property in McCormick might not appreciate that. But let's move on to the task at hand (i.e. my research of the area). If that's what you can add, I appreciate the input and I'll try to find more from others. Thank you.

Old 07-07-2023, 07:21 PM

You could get a lodge room or cabin for a week at Hickory Knob and test drive living down there.

I recommend staying in the French Huguenot Guillebeau House, a national historic landmark. It was built in 1764 and relocated to the park.

This website has pictures of the cabin. https://www.lowcountryphotos.com/Tou...llebeau-House/

My mother swoons about this cabin. One summer there were bats that came out of the chimney while we stayed there.

I think most people who move to Savannah Lakes are really into boating, fishing, pools, and/or golf, not big shoppers, and prefer to cook at home. A good percentage of them probably come down for the Masters golf tournament in Augusta and started looking the area.

There are expensive homes in that community listed on Zillow. I was thinking they would be more affordable due to the rural location. Can't underestimate the draw of a lake and golf courses.

The state park has a restaurant you could go to if you lived down there. I think living down there would be like going to a college in a rural area like Clemson, without the studying part.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 07-07-2023 at 07:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area