Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2023, 01:53 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times

Advertisements

Ok.. Ok.. I should have known better about the Home Depot, but I swear I thought there was a Best Buy in Greenwood. I thought it was out by the IHOP. Maybe all the blue out there just confused me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaserP View Post
On last question or two, if I may. Is any part of SC dry? And would any part of SC be considered their "wine country"? As we're very close to the NYS wine country (the Finger Lakes area) the Mrs and I do visit that area from time to time for various reasons not the least of which is to sample local wines.

Wine tends to be more a North Carolina thing. Though, there are a few wineries. In fact, there's one off 25 around Pelzer, IIRC, somewhere around Hwy 418?

In fact, I seem to recall something recently in the news that someone was trying to change the laws to open a 'wine tasting' place in charleston or somewhere.. I don't remember all the details on this.

CityScape is the winery i'm thinking of.. https://cityscapewinery.com/

As for any 'dry' places. I presume that's in relation to alcohol, and no. There are no dry counties, at least not that I'm aware of. However.. I believe there are still some counties that don't allow Sunday sales.. and, no liquor/wine stores are going to be open on Sundays, or past 7pm. Or on election day.

https://overproof.com/2022/01/14/alc...s-regulations/

that goes over most of the laws.. You're not buying liquor other than at a liquor store.. And you're not buying beer at a liquor store.. The laws on alcohol are a bit.. Antiquated. Green's, a liquor store here in Greenville, and a large one, has a dividing line down the middle. One side is Beer/Wine the other side is liquor. Two different entrances. You can't go to the same register with beer and wine, as I recall (Been a while since I've been there)

You have to remember, we're only ~20 years past the minibottle law. https://wineandwhiskeyglobe.com/****...outh-carolina/

Are you freaking serious? Cocktails is blocked? lol.. Ok.. Well, the link still works.

Now, the above article.. I don't think that's entirely fair about the restaurants. Here in Greenville and in Charleston, there are some fantastic restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2023, 02:10 PM

5,490 posts, read 8,320,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
I think you may not be considering the distance between McCormick and the neighborhood. It is hard to see an ambulance doing the speed limit on those rural roads especially at night with all the deer out there. Then you need to factor in time it takes for ambulance to be dispatched, get to the pickup location and get the person loaded up.

You are probably looking at least a hour.
I see.

Old 07-10-2023, 02:23 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,649,074 times
Quote:
I can appreciate that, NDL.Not that I'm a huge forum hound but I am a member of a few others (i.e. music, specifically guitar, and golf forums) and have seen the drive-by posters come and go but I came by here for a little more than two or three responses so I do appreciate the efforts.
SC is Van Halen country.

Quote:
On last question or two, if I may. Is any part of SC dry? And would any part of SC be considered their "wine country"? As we're very close to the NYS wine country (the Finger Lakes area) the Mrs and I do visit that area from time to time for various reasons not the least of which is to sample local wines.
Others would be better informed than myself, but areas that dot the mountains have wineries, especially NE Georgia, which is reasonably close to McCormick; I believe that NC has some as well, in addition to a plethora of apple orchards.

As far as wanting an evening out, downtown Greenville should have everything you're looking for, and more. If your ideal would be to have an evening out once a week, I would keep McCormick on your shortlist. Moreover, I am sure that the community will sponsor a lot of events, as residents are like minded.

There's one other area I am going to throw out there, in addition to Aiken SC, I would take a hard look at Belmont NC.

Old 07-10-2023, 05:28 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,869,148 times
"SC is Van Halen country."

Hey you just reminded me that David Allen, formerly with the Marshall Tucker Band out of Spartanburg is now a builder's rep with SK homes. Completely irrelevant, I know, but he was an interesting person to work with.

Old 07-10-2023, 06:34 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,649,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
"SC is Van Halen country."

Hey you just reminded me that David Allen, formerly with the Marshall Tucker Band out of Spartanburg is now a builder's rep with SK homes. Completely irrelevant, I know, but he was an interesting person to work with.
Yours was a cool anecdote worth sharing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area