Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 10:13 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Not sure this is the right forum to put this, but I took care of a very sweet lady who passed away.
Her family did not want her to be embalmed!
What could possibly be the reasoning in this? I do not understand!
Judaism, for one, prohibits embalming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 05:25 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Wow!! Thank you for this information.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:13 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Because that's what is suppose to be done. For what reasons? Duh.
Why is it suppose to be done?

I personally think people are getting smarter and making good choices with how money is being spent for funeral services. We no longer accept that things have to be done.

I worked with a woman for a short period of time that had a part-time job working for a Cemetery. For one burial she was making a commission of $2000. She spent about an hour with the grieving family.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:59 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
My husband believes very strongly in "dust to dust" as it says in the Bible. Without embalming, your body returns to the earth (dust to dust) much quicker. He also wants to be buried in a simple wooden box, if possible, not using a cement grave liner. BTW, he is Catholic.

As others have said, certain religions prohibit embalming.
BTW, some cemeteries in municipalities that require cement or metal grave liners (they are like a huge box that is normally sealed on the top with a tight fitting lid) can do "greener" burials. Our family/neighborhood cemetery can put in the grave liner upside down, without a lid. In that way the casket or wooden box is directly touching the ground on the bottom of the grave, and the top is flat so that the grave does not "collapse" over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post

I personally think people are getting smarter and making good choices with how money is being spent for funeral services. We no longer accept that things have to be done.

I worked with a woman for a short period of time that had a part-time job working for a Cemetery. For one burial she was making a commission of $2000. She spent about an hour with the grieving family.
Our family/neighborhood cemetery is ran by a unpaid board of directors. The land was donated by relatives. The main part of the cemetery in about 1840 and then additional, adjacent land was donated by his great, great grandson about 10 years ago. Burial plots are a fraction of the cost compared to for profit cemeteries and the only cost beyond that is a small fee for digging the grave ($50 when my father died 15 years ago).

Old 04-25-2015, 08:03 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Catholics do not care if one is embalmed or not and they do not care if one is cremated or not.

Other Religions may have these restrictions but I am not aware of the traditions and requirements of other religions.
My experience with an official Catholic view on this was that the practice is now allowed (it was virtually prohibited pre-Vatican II), but the cremation must take place after the funeral mass. I know a family that cremated the body right after death, and their priest refused to hold a funeral mass for the deceased citing requirement as his reason.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:51 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
My experience with an official Catholic view on this was that the practice is now allowed (it was virtually prohibited pre-Vatican II), but the cremation must take place after the funeral mass. I know a family that cremated the body right after death, and their priest refused to hold a funeral mass for the deceased citing requirement as his reason.
Catholics prefer the body is at the funeral. Then cremation. Then burying the ashes. No spreading.

All priests do not follow this,

Old 04-25-2015, 10:17 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post

That's all I have ever known that was suppose to be done, so after this lady passed away, and her family did not have her embalmed, I needed more answers. That's why I started a thread on it.
I am happy with the answers here, and now I can understand better.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:20 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
I don't want to be embalmed either. I think it's better for the environment and it's just gross to me. I'll be cremated right away.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:32 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post

Quote:
In 1963, the Vatican lifted the cremation ban. Since 1997, cremated remains have been allowed to be present at funeral Masses, and are given the same respect as remains in a casket. Cremated remains must be buried, just like a body, in a cemetery, crypt, or other appropriate burial place. Scattering ashes or keeping them at home is not permitted.
Changing Catholic Attitudes about Cremation | Catholic World Report - Global Church news and views

Old 04-25-2015, 01:06 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Catholics do not prohibit embalming.

Jewish people cannot be embalmed (I believe). I know they cannot be cremated.

It may be a cost saving measure. While embalming is common, there is no need to do it if the body is kept well refrigerated and buried in relatively short order. I presume any viewing would be closed casket.

Embalming is also intrusive, and the family may feel that it is more respectful for the deceased not to embalm the body.

Why do you feel the body should be embalmed? All embalming does is slow down the decomposition process.
According to the Jewish faith and tradition the deceased should be buried as soon as possible after death, if possible before sundown of the day of death. This isn't possible lots of times, so Jewish funerals are often held the day after death. So traditionally there is no need for embalming. There are no wakes with the body present as there are often with Christian funerals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning