Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 08:33 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times

Advertisements

I am not a big believer in the dead visiting us after death or being involved in our lives and find it rather disturbing actually.

But I can't help but wonder if my favorite aunt had a hand in this.

My aunt had breast cancer. She had it in the 80s and it was treated and she had a mastectomy and it was in remission for 30 years. She died of it when it came back with a vengeance. But in those 30 years she was very actively involved in the Breast Cancer group in her area and when she died she asked that in leu of flowers, donations be made to the Breast Cancer Foundation.

Anyway, one thing she knew I always wanted to do was to find my birth mother. I was adopted at birth.

About 6 months after my aunt passed away, I got a letter from the adoption agency where I was adopted from, it said that my birth mother was trying to find me!

Long story short, we now have a relationship, and yup, she has had breast cancer.

I can't help but wonder if she had something to do with it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 09:46 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
At 3 am I awoke bolt upright to the most intense smell of popcorn.
This made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. A coworker is making popcorn in the microwave RIGHT NOW and I can smell it.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:48 AM

314 posts, read 439,844 times
I think for some, they do believe that it came from the deceased but I simply do not believe it. Not trying to down play anything here, want to believe, I truly do because I would love nothing more than to have a "sign" from my fiancé who passed three years ago this May due to an accident.

Either it isn't real or maybe she just doesn't want me to have a sign, lol or maybe I am just being too much of an engineer and not actually seeing the signs....who knows but I do know I cannot tell you what I had for lunch or dinner that day I got the phone call but I can tell you that I was working in my yard when I got the phone call she was gone.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:19 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
I also am not really a believer in the dead being involved in our daily lives. But I do believe there can be messages or communication between the life beyond and this life. Now this is just me - but I believe that all communication is granted by God, and that it only happens when we NEED it. This is, to me, part of God's continuing care. I heard from my father once after he died and I have had a few very meaningful communications from my husband, but I did not hear or see anything from my mother, grandparents, or any others that I have lost. And I have not had anything from my husband for over a year. I take this to mean that I am doing OK, and it is not judged that I actually need any communication to go forward with my life. I am fine with this. I trust God to give me what I need. If someone receives no communication, my thinking is either that they are not open it, or that they are doing fine without it, and there is no need. (When I say "doing fine" I don't mean that there is no grief or missing the deceased, just that grieving person will be able to carry on despite the loss.) I understand that this is just my personal belief and others will certainly believe differently, but I am just sharing what life has taught me.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:00 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I believe that all communication is granted by God, and that it only happens when we NEED it. This is, to me, part of God's continuing care.
I agree with this. The times I have received what I have decided was a message, they were times I was in need of a sign to tell me I did the right thing or needed help with an answer.

I had left home for a job with Boeing in Huntsville AL which was like a dream for me. I went home every other weekend to see my husband and kids, but then he found out he had Congestive Heart Failure and would need a pacemaker. I know now that he would have been fine, but I didn't know then. So I struggled with it, being the end of my contract, and I was to be hired full-time. My team had just been moved from some outbuildings into the main building with new furniture and all the trimmings, so it was an exciting time, because we suddenly were "part of the Big B" and not just the lame-o contractors out in the trailers.

The day I moved into my cubicle, I found my personal belongings in the box I had packed, and started to fill the drawers and shelves. I got to the stuff I needed to file, and opened the bottom drawer, and I found four CDs.

They were Riverdance, Phantom of the Opera, The Dixie Chicks, and the BeeGees. These were brand-new cubicles, built on-site, and I did not own those CDs myself.

All were my mother's favorite artists, and all four were her favorite albums of those artists. I can't tell you how it made me feel to see those CDs, and the comfort I felt as I listened to each one.

Thanks, Mom.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:30 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,471 times
Tomorrow it will be one year since hubby passed. I keep getting repeating numbers many times a day now. All numbers but 444 and 555 seem to be the most often seen. I do not really know what to think I just feel he is telling me he is still with me. So far today it has been at least 4 instances of the repeating numbers. What a year. So hard to believe it has already been a whole year. The cycle repeats now. I always think of him the instant I see the repeating number so maybe he feels this is his way to get through to me.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:25 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Dad is 76 now & we just lost my mom in March. I had never seen my dad cry until that day & he cries a lot now.

We had a family get-together on Saturday in honor of my mom’s “Name Day” (which was actually Aug 15); a tradition in Greek culture that holds more significance than birthdays & depends on which saint you were named after.

Mom was first generation American born Greek & grew up between the neighborhoods of Chicago’s south side & the Greek community in Denver.

Dad was an Irish catholic kid; son of a well-known doctor & WWII hero. They met while attending CU & my mom’s family disowned her for 10 years when she married him. Two days after the wedding they left for Japan where my dad was to be stationed. One year, one month, one day & one hour after the wedding; I was born. And 20 months later my sister was born.

After returning to the US in the 1970’s they continued to build a life. They had been married 50 years. Dad is a (Ret) USAF Colonel turned city administrator. Mom had dual PhD‘s in BioChem & Immunology.

The party was a casual event of Pizza‘s & beer with grandbabies playing in the backyard & beautiful weather. Dad bought yellow balloons because yellow was my mom‘s favorite color.& he planned on handing them out to the youngest children afterwards.

My sister & I were surprised when dad stood up & asked everyone to listen: He had a surprise for us from our mom … That 45 years ago before they had left Japan; my mom had a request: “I want to buy something special for the girls that we can give them when they are older. Something unique from Japan that we will give them when the time is right …”

Dad said he felt it was the right time & he hoped she would approve.. I was in shock & my sister burst into tears to see the Mikimoto Pearl brooches in the old velvet boxes. He also gave us potted flowers: Mums; actually.. It felt like exactly the right time & it felt like mom was … there.

My 21 yr old daughter helped her “Gramps” clean up afterwards & they noticed he had forgotten to hand out the balloons. He asked her to clip them by the front door & she did so; clamped them to a bookshelf.

So; my dad called me Wednesday afternoon. He wanted to know if I could stop by so he could show me something.; so I did.

When I got there he asked me to “go look in my bedroom & tell me what you see”. I did go look & everything seemed pretty typical except for that I recognized the 3 yellow balloons on his floor from our party over the weekend, They were attached to the tablecloth clamp that we tied them to & used in the backyard. I asked “just the balloons … did you want me to bring them down?”

He answered “No. Just leave them there. I just wanted you to see them.” And then he filled me in on the rest of the story:

Dad said he was anxious that night staying up until 2 am checking the windows & doors & finally turned off the lights & went to bed.

Waking a few hours later to use the restroom, he realized that something was in his room. Actually right above him where he had been sleeping … It was the three yellow balloons, still tied to the metal spring loaded clamp that was no longer clamped (they would have had to traverse a tri-level house & up a flight of stairs making several 90 degree turns all while dragging this clamp …)

Dad was always a no- nonsense guy. He had top security clearance & was based out of the Pentagon. People used to bug him about what he “really knew” about the paranormal or Roswell & such & his answer stayed the same: “Nothing to know”.

I remember my mom saying “Your father is a very smart man … but he’s a bit closed-minded”!

I told my dad; “Remember; she said WE, will give them to the girls when the time is right” ..

Old 08-26-2017, 01:50 AM

357 posts, read 222,513 times
Let me give you some backround on my story - I was very close with my in laws as I had lived with them when I was young and I was with to my ex husband for 17 years.(ages 15- 32 yrs old) After I divorced him I remained close to his mother (his father had passed already) so it was only natural for me to help her out when she fell ill as my ex was not helping her much of the time. I had helped a lot with his father when he got diagnosed with cancer as he and my mother in law lived in the same home but slept in different rooms and did not speak to one another. They had been married for 50+ years even though they didnt act it - so I helped with some of the things she didnt want to.
Anyway skip to her falling ill and getting the dreaded diagnoses - on one of my visits to take her to get radiation treatment we talked about her passing and we made a deal that she would signal me from the other side to let me know there is the other side. We did this cause my ex husband had really regretted not doing this with his dad when he was getting close to passing. So she promised to let me know we just couldnt agree on how.
About a month or so after she passed away I get an email that says in subject line her first and last name. When I open it I am surprised because it is in a account under my name at the arthritis foundation which she had but I do not. Anyway I click on the message and it simply says one sentence- It says she and my father in law are now friends but it has their first and last name in it. I have not gotten another message since from them and did copy the messages with screen saver just to verify them. Was this the sign ? I think so but my own mother and a few others said someone must be trying to pull a scam of some kind but the thing is I havent gotten any other messages from them.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:51 AM

936 posts, read 823,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
A number of us have experienced oddities after a death that are not easily explained by logic or science. There are various "explanations" for these events, but those are irrelevant for the purposes of this thread.

Very simply, did you have any experience after the death of a loved one that made you think/wonder if they were attempting to communicate, guide, or bring comfort?
My father died on March 9, 2017. The day before his funeral, I had planned to drive to my mother's house to meet with her to go over last-minute details about the funeral. That morning I could not find my car keys and had to search for nearly 15 minutes to find them. It's not like me to misplace my keys.

When I was about 5 miles from my mother's house, I came across a 6-car pileup on a bridge that was covered with snow and ice. One of the cars in the accident had even flipped upside down in the middle of the road and a man was trapped in it. This accident probably happened less than 5 minutes before I arrived on the scene.

It made me wonder whether dad was a guardian angel that day? Did he hide my car keys to ensure that I stayed out of that accident?

Old 08-31-2017, 10:34 AM

3,070 posts, read 1,682,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post

Right after voicing my plea to my husband I immediately fell asleep and both my dogs were on the bed with me. At 3 am I awoke bolt upright to the most intense smell of popcorn.
A few months after my daughter died one of her friends came to our house in a bit of a panic, and she asked me right away to let her look at Bev's perfumes. She hurried into the bedroom and smelled most of them before she said, "That's it!" It confirmed that she had a olfactory visit from Bev.

What happened is that she was driving along the freeway and she noticed a sudden strong smell of this perfume in her car. She noticed that she was near the cemetery, so she made an unplanned side-trip to go to Bev's gravesite, and she said that the scent got stronger. It started to go away after she left. This girl did not wear perfume and was not familiar with the brand she picked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning