Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 06:41 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I had what seemed like a long dream about my father last night. It was very disjointed. He was talking to me, at me, about a variety of things. His dress reflected his age and the decade from which he was reporting.
That's very interesting. I read somewhere long ago, and it made so much sense to me, that what we need to pay attention to in dreams is how the dream makes us FEEL. How did this dream make you feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2021, 07:23 PM

538 posts, read 732,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's weird! I had to look up Barrington, NJ, because I've never heard of it--and I have lived in NJ for all of my almost-63 years.

It's a small town, about the size of the one I grew up in, but at the other end of the state.

At least I know now where to find toilet paper should the need ever arise.

Back to topic, I think I posted this already in another thread, but my mother died last March at 91. I was at her house for a few days helping her because she somehow twisted her knee or something and was having trouble standing even with her walker. I put her to bed one night, checked to see that she was sleeping peacefully, and checked again a few hours later and found her dead. It was sad, but also a relief. She had done very well up until about six months earlier, when she began to weaken and have all sorts of issues. Her mind was sharp right up to the end, though.

But I had no dreams of her or anything, so a few months ago I mentioned that to a friend, and she said, "Just before you fall asleep at night, talk to your mother. Tell her you miss her and you just want to know that she's OK, and you will dream of her."

So I did that. About an hour later I woke up from a dream where my mother was in her living room and in my face, looking as she did maybe in her 40s or 50s, and she was ANNOYED. She said, "Stop bothering me and get on with doing what you have to do." Then she turned and walked up the stairs to the second floor, and I woke up.

OK, MA! GEEZ!
That's a good story. Brought tears.

Old 10-20-2021, 07:45 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,484,106 times
They said when our physical body rests at night,our soul left and travel to another plane and do what we want to do but not have the leisure to do so in the day time.

Old 10-21-2021, 01:11 AM

3,074 posts, read 8,025,234 times
When my mother was alive, she told me that dreaming about the dead was to mean that you were supposed to pray for them. She told me her Dad told her this. I have no earthly idea where this came from other than it is another old tale, but I do it. Seldom do I ever remember a dream, but if I do, I do this. I never knew my grandfather. He died at 52 in 1941.

Old 10-21-2021, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's weird! I had to look up Barrington, NJ, because I've never heard of it--and I have lived in NJ for all of my almost-63 years.

It's a small town, about the size of the one I grew up in, but at the other end of the state.

At least I know now where to find toilet paper should the need ever arise.

Back to topic, I think I posted this already in another thread, but my mother died last March at 91. I was at her house for a few days helping her because she somehow twisted her knee or something and was having trouble standing even with her walker. I put her to bed one night, checked to see that she was sleeping peacefully, and checked again a few hours later and found her dead. It was sad, but also a relief. She had done very well up until about six months earlier, when she began to weaken and have all sorts of issues. Her mind was sharp right up to the end, though.

But I had no dreams of her or anything, so a few months ago I mentioned that to a friend, and she said, "Just before you fall asleep at night, talk to your mother. Tell her you miss her and you just want to know that she's OK, and you will dream of her."

So I did that. About an hour later I woke up from a dream where my mother was in her living room and in my face, looking as she did maybe in her 40s or 50s, and she was ANNOYED. She said, "Stop bothering me and get on with doing what you have to do." Then she turned and walked up the stairs to the second floor, and I woke up.

OK, MA! GEEZ!
What a great story! My husband came to our granddaughter first in a dream, before he even came to see me so to speak, but in the first dream he was clearly irritated that she apparently needed him so much that he had to interrupt whatever he was doing to come visit her. I mean, he was just sort of mildly irritated. But the next time he came to her, several months later, he wasn't like that and she liked that dream more - LOL.

My dad didn't "let me know" he was alright for TWO YEARS. At least my husband didn't make me wait around that long - it was just about six weeks before he showed up in a dream. It was only about two weeks before he showed up in our granddaughter's dream.

Old 10-22-2021, 12:55 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,883 times
I dreamt about my mother yesterday afternoon while napping, lightning and thunder had awoken me at 5:30, so I was tired. I realized she was slipping away from me as I was awakening and I said out loud "Mom, don't go!" She was also in the process of giving me a gift, and I didn't get to find out what it was, so I was both sad and pissed that I woke up from that one. It was so realistic, she even had alzheimer's.

Kathryn, you have the right idea about relaxing your fists, but do it with your entire body, consciously start at your toes and relax each and every muscle you can feel all the way to your arms and up your head, then concentrate on your breathing and relaxing your face muscles. You might find yourself asleep without even getting to finish the exercise

Wow, Mightyqueen, I might not "summon" mom for awhile after that chastizing!

Old 10-22-2021, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
I dreamt about my mother yesterday afternoon while napping, lightning and thunder had awoken me at 5:30, so I was tired. I realized she was slipping away from me as I was awakening and I said out loud "Mom, don't go!" She was also in the process of giving me a gift, and I didn't get to find out what it was, so I was both sad and pissed that I woke up from that one. It was so realistic, she even had alzheimer's.

Kathryn, you have the right idea about relaxing your fists, but do it with your entire body, consciously start at your toes and relax each and every muscle you can feel all the way to your arms and up your head, then concentrate on your breathing and relaxing your face muscles. You might find yourself asleep without even getting to finish the exercise

Wow, Mightyqueen, I might not "summon" mom for awhile after that chastizing!
Oh I agree about the total body relaxation and I do that when necessary too, and sometimes when I'm not even in bed trying to sleep!

MQ - did your mom ever visit you again?

Old 10-22-2021, 09:53 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
I had a very unusual dream two nights ago. An old boyfriend showed up and romanced me. I guess I'm even faithful in my dreams because I watched the whole thing like it was happening to someone else. No fair!

Then DH came home and the boyfriend was in the kitchen washing the dishes. It looked so absurd that I went in there and told him to stop, that there was no way DH would believe that he'd come over to wash our dishes. Next thing I knew they were at the kitchen table having the best conversation like they'd known each other for years.

Guess a good time was had by all - except me. Snort. Don't even want to know how to interpret that one.

I think I dream every night, very vivid dreams. And I remember them.

Usually they are odds and ends from things I've been thinking about, sometimes including jokes or puns. I've actually awakened myself laughing. I have quite a few house dreams, always interesting and I pay close attention to those. I have bouncing (like on the moon) dreams and levitation dreams. Love those. But I never have any of my deceased loved ones appear in dreams. I think I'd like that.

The people I dream most often about are my high school classmates as they were. Old high school stuff. A part of my subconscious must be tethered there.

Old 10-23-2021, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I had a very unusual dream two nights ago. An old boyfriend showed up and romanced me. I guess I'm even faithful in my dreams because I watched the whole thing like it was happening to someone else. No fair!

Then DH came home and the boyfriend was in the kitchen washing the dishes. It looked so absurd that I went in there and told him to stop, that there was no way DH would believe that he'd come over to wash our dishes. Next thing I knew they were at the kitchen table having the best conversation like they'd known each other for years.

Guess a good time was had by all - except me. Snort. Don't even want to know how to interpret that one.

I think I dream every night, very vivid dreams. And I remember them.

Usually they are odds and ends from things I've been thinking about, sometimes including jokes or puns. I've actually awakened myself laughing. I have quite a few house dreams, always interesting and I pay close attention to those. I have bouncing (like on the moon) dreams and levitation dreams. Love those. But I never have any of my deceased loved ones appear in dreams. I think I'd like that.

The people I dream most often about are my high school classmates as they were. Old high school stuff. A part of my subconscious must be tethered there.
I love dreams too and I have a lot of them! Like you said, most are odds and ends from things I've been thinking about or reading about or whatever.

You are smart to pay close attention to house dreams - I believe that houses represent our lives in our dreams. I pay close attention to those too. I have several variations of a recurring dream and it's one of my favorites - in this particular dream I am always buying some English Tudor home and somehow or another I find a hidden room filled with treasure. The way I find the room and the treasures inside the room are always different but I LOVE that dream! I know what it means - LOL.

You mention levitation dreams. Here's a fun game for a party - I think I will try this tonight in fact. Ask everyone how they fly or levitate in their dreams. Hint - everyone does this in some form or fashion. For me personally, I have to concentrate on flying. Actually it's more like gliding. But if I get distracted by looking too long at something below me, I begin to lose altitude. So for me, flying in my dreams isn't particularly bad but it's also not particularly relaxing or fun. It's work. LOL

Now that it's been over a year since my husband died, when I dream about him it's usually more like a memory of him in the bed with me in the mornings. I haven't had a clear dream of him talking to me in awhile now, but I do expect him to show up sometimes.

Old 10-26-2021, 12:08 AM

631 posts, read 298,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Almost every time I go to sleep. I’m so upset and distressed daily. It’s more like nightmares. I am so tired and frazzled.
How can I make it stop.
I need some sleep!
Did you leave on bad terms? If they were mad at you when they died, that could pose a problem. You should try to make peace with them somehow. That way they can move on and so can you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning