Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 06:40 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times

Advertisements

With respect, does anyone ever post about or discuss grief from the loss of other than a loved one? I, for instance, have had huge trouble adjusting to my recent retirement and recently realized that I am actually in mourning for my working life and all that entailed. Sounds silly, but I'm going through all the stages! Similarly, one can grieve the loss of a home, one's youth, physical abilities, a long-held dream that won't be realized, children leaving, etc. I've scanned threads and see that they all concern bereavement re: death.

Just curious!

Old 06-30-2021, 10:30 AM

557 posts, read 297,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Anyone else regret retiring? Just me???
I think many of us that didn't have a choice in retiring wish we had choices. I loved the company I worked for, tolerated the people, and my work wasn't work, it was playing and I got paid for it. Then COVID then it was gone.

On this forum we have a thread called, Life as it is. We don't have the life that we wish it was. Yes, you are definitely grieving. Yep, life sucks sometimes. You are allowed to sit down and cry. But you don't get to wallow forever. Make a change. What you have been doing for the last couple months, definitely does not seem to be working for you.

Old 06-30-2021, 10:36 AM

So grief has a two-month (technically, I've been retired only one month) shelf life? That's not what I read elsewhere on here! Maybe only for non-death-related bereavement.

I'll look for that thread; thank you.

Old 07-01-2021, 03:30 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Frankly it may be appropriate for the retirement board.

Old 07-01-2021, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Frankly it may be appropriate for the retirement board.
I tried that, of course, but no one on the retirement board is grieving the loss of his or her job... I guess there's no place to for me to commiserate with others about this problem on City-Data? That's a first!

Old 07-01-2021, 07:35 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,926,681 times
Quote:
I tried that, of course, but no one on the retirement board is grieving the loss of his or her job... I guess there's no place to for me to commiserate with others about this problem on City-Data? That's a first!
Then start a new thread on the Retirement board like you did here. Or how about the Psychology board? Sure, it might take a little while to get the conversation going, but I don't think this is the proper place for such a discussion. Best withes to you.

Old 07-01-2021, 09:27 AM

Alrighty then!

Old 07-01-2021, 10:21 AM

18 posts, read 22,290 times
Default Perspective is Everything

Quote:
While I cannot think about retiring now, I understand the emotions you are dealing with. Nevermind how. In short I lost two jobs I loved due to this pandemic and yes it still bothers me but the time that i would not have had can happily be used pursuing other interests that I need to achieve. Whatever you are doing is not productive if it is not making you happy. Instead of lamenting all that is lost, perhaps look at the fact that you have the time to do what you want, not what you have to do. If you have not identified happy things to occupy your time of course you are going to lament what you have lost. I am only suggesting that you explore things you may not have had time to do while working and make a schedule out of it. Hold yourself accountable to using your time to do things you enjoy or finding out what they are. When you are enjoying yourself you will not have time to lament.

I also think it is perfectly fine to "grieve" the death of a situation. Unfortunately, not enough others see it that way and that is why you have a hard time finding people to express that too. To me that says you have a creative mind. You might want to take advantage of that. To think that grief can only be applied to loss of life is limiting. You and I obviously think outside that box. People should not get to chose what someone else grieves over so don't let anyone put constraints on the kind of grief that belongs in Grief and Mourning. They don't have to respond if they don't have something helpful to say to you.

If you loved your work so much, depending on what it was perhaps you could teach others. There are a world of things out here for you to do. Find your niche. Just because you are retired does not mean you can't work on your own schedule. Find you! Do you!

I really do miss my jobs but I can't stay down about what is gone. In the end I think we have to live with the understanding that life dies. The lifespan of situations are no more immortal than our lives.

Best to you.

Old 07-01-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questionkid View Post
When you are enjoying yourself you will not have time to lament.

I also think it is perfectly fine to "grieve" the death of a situation. Unfortunately not enough others see it that way and that is why you have a hard time finding people to express that to. To me that says you have a creative mind. You might want to take advantage of that.

I really do miss my jobs but I can't stay down about what is gone.

Best to you.
Thank you for understanding.

I do find it interesting that no one would dream of saying to someone who had just lost a husband, child, or parent only a month ago, "Well, you can't cry about what's gone! Now you're free to do anything you like! So get busy!" (Although I DID have one woman say to me after my mother, whom I had personally cared for in her last illness, passed, "Now you can get your life back!" I didn't appreciate her comment, either.)

It just shows how narrow our definition of "Grief and Mourning" really is in our society, or at least on City Data.

Last edited by otterhere; 07-01-2021 at 10:45 AM..

Old 07-01-2021, 10:44 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,011,701 times
Quote:
Thank you for understanding.

I do find it funny that no one would dream of saying to someone who lost a husband, child, or parent only a month ago, "Well, you can't cry about what's gone! Now you're free to do anything you like! So get busy!"

That's just shows how narrow our definition of "Grief and Mourning" really are, at least on City Data.

(And, yes, I've also lost people very near and dear to me).
I bit my tongue reading your OP and thought you got the message when you seemed to agree with another poster who told you that this wasn't the proper place to express your depression about being retired. But no; now you've returned to say that it is everyone else who has too narrow a definition of grief and mourning.

As someone who lost his mother on mother's day, and father just three months before that, and who is now sitting in a hospital's surgical waiting room as my wife enters the fourth hour of an operation that was only supposed to take two, allow me to be blunt and say that it was completely thoughtless, clueless, and disrespectful for you to come to this particular forum to whine about entering a period of life that most people would be celebrating. If that depresses you, then do as geebabe suggested and take it to the Psychology Forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning