Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 09:07 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,276,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Catwoman hasn't posted for days. Hopefully she was dragged into some sort of unwanted holiday merriment.
Merriment? I spent a couple of days with the stepkids. Spent most of the time crying-especially when my stepdaughter made a toast to her dad. Had a few clashes with my youngest stepdaughter and her daughter which I am still upset about.

And then there is my amazing stepson. I was making a comment about being invisible is my superpower figuring everyone would prove my point. But to my surprise, my stepson saw me. I was not invisible to him. And the next day, he picked me up to take me to a music store where he talked me into buying myself a Christmas present-a keyboard. It was something that I had been wanting for over a decade since the little one I had died but was looking for a second-hand one. He convinced me that I deserve a new one.

So now I have to learn how to play. For decades now, I always said if I could play one piece it would be Moonlight Sonata. So off to YouTube to find a tutorial. So the new year is bringing me Moonlight Sonata thanks to my stepson.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2024, 09:50 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Catwoman hasn't posted for days. Hopefully she was dragged into some sort of unwanted holiday merriment.
I am in touch with her in another realm. She's OK, as best as she can be. She's strong, but this was a tough year for both of us. I repeat the "just keep swimming" phrase from time to time now.

ETA: Oops, there she is!

Old 01-02-2024, 12:21 PM

734 posts, read 483,175 times
If we all "keep swimming", our grief will lessen significantly over time.

I don't know what to think of myself grieving for my mother the rest of my life. What kind of life would that be? Surely, as time goes on, we heal, even though there is not set timeline. I know some people get stuck in grief for many years (complicated grief), but I hope that won't be me.

I am enjoying things again; I am taking care of myself, etc. That said, tsunami waves of grief still come over me at 8 months; also, there is an underlying sadness that I feel most of the time. And, I still feel shock at times (Wow - did this really happen to me?). I know it's all normal. 8 months, they say, is still early grief.

My mother was ready to go. She was in her early 70s. Sure, she could have lived another 10-15 years or so - it just wasn't meant to be. The stroke did her in - not just physical damage to the brain, but she also had PTSD from the trauma of it all. There was no going back for her (to her old self), despite her remarkable physical recovery for her age. Her emotional mind was gone; she lost her will to live.

We have to learn how to swim again. Loss is natural in life. We all die, in the end. We deny death so much in life that causes so much sorrow when it does happen.

Peace to you all.

Old 01-02-2024, 12:44 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancaisDeutsch View Post
If we all "keep swimming", our grief will lessen significantly over time.

I don't know what to think of myself grieving for my mother the rest of my life. What kind of life would that be? Surely, as time goes on, we heal, even though there is not set timeline. I know some people get stuck in grief for many years (complicated grief), but I hope that won't be me.

I am enjoying things again; I am taking care of myself, etc. That said, tsunami waves of grief still come over me at 8 months; also, there is an underlying sadness that I feel most of the time. And, I still feel shock at times (Wow - did this really happen to me?). I know it's all normal. 8 months, they say, is still early grief.

My mother was ready to go. She was in her early 70s. Sure, she could have lived another 10-15 years or so - it just wasn't meant to be. The stroke did her in - not just physical damage to the brain, but she also had PTSD from the trauma of it all. There was no going back for her (to her old self), despite her remarkable physical recovery for her age. Her emotional mind was gone; she lost her will to live.

We have to learn how to swim again. Loss is natural in life. We all die, in the end. We deny death so much in life that causes so much sorrow when it does happen.

Peace to you all.
And back to you.

Old 01-02-2024, 09:44 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Merriment? I spent a couple of days with the stepkids. Spent most of the time crying-especially when my stepdaughter made a toast to her dad. Had a few clashes with my youngest stepdaughter and her daughter which I am still upset about.

And then there is my amazing stepson. I was making a comment about being invisible is my superpower figuring everyone would prove my point. But to my surprise, my stepson saw me. I was not invisible to him. And the next day, he picked me up to take me to a music store where he talked me into buying myself a Christmas present-a keyboard. It was something that I had been wanting for over a decade since the little one I had died but was looking for a second-hand one. He convinced me that I deserve a new one.

So now I have to learn how to play. For decades now, I always said if I could play one piece it would be Moonlight Sonata. So off to YouTube to find a tutorial. So the new year is bringing me Moonlight Sonata thanks to my stepson.

Cat
This is what I was hoping for you. If there are other people around, one of them may see you.

Old 01-03-2024, 11:15 AM

1,392 posts, read 1,399,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post

Cat
way to go! sounds like a great stepson and a better year for you ahead.

Old 01-04-2024, 08:14 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Thank you for the update, Catwoman.

Old 01-04-2024, 07:57 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,942,367 times
Swimming is a little harder for me tonight, I fell at work and broke my wrist in 2 places today. I'll deal with it, it was my left wrist and I'm right handed, but I'm wish my husband was around to help me dress right now. My solution is to go braless for 4-6 weeks.

I love that story Catwoman. Enjoy the music.

Old 01-04-2024, 09:18 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,276,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Swimming is a little harder for me tonight, I fell at work and broke my wrist in 2 places today. I'll deal with it, it was my left wrist and I'm right handed, but I'm wish my husband was around to help me dress right now. My solution is to go braless for 4-6 weeks.

I love that story Catwoman. Enjoy the music.
I wish you a speedy recovery.

The good thing about not having a life is that I usually go braless.

Cat

Old 01-05-2024, 06:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
That sounds like a terrific solution to a painful problem!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning