Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 08:59 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Swimming is a little harder for me tonight, I fell at work and broke my wrist in 2 places today. I'll deal with it, it was my left wrist and I'm right handed, but I'm wish my husband was around to help me dress right now. My solution is to go braless for 4-6 weeks.

I love that story Catwoman. Enjoy the music.
I look for every excuse to go braless.

I have to add that when I broke my arm and dislocated my shoulder in the 2010s, that my young adult son had to help me bathe and dress. He didn't like that at all.

Last edited by Gerania; 01-05-2024 at 09:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2024, 07:21 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,276,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I look for every excuse to go braless.

I have to add that when I broke my arm and dislocated my shoulder in the 2010s, that my young adult son had to help me bathe and dress. He didn't like that at all.

I don't know which one of you were more traumatize.

Cat

Old 01-06-2024, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I don't know which one of you were more traumatize.

Cat
Probably him. Saggy old mom probably gave him nightmares for a while. I'd had to care for ill family members when I was rather young. The only child never did.

Old 01-08-2024, 09:59 PM

Did you feel my hug? I thought about you this evening. I sat upright, centered, breathed, focused, remembered everything that I know about you and gave you a hug. I hope that it worked.

Old 01-09-2024, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Did you feel my hug? I thought about you this evening. I sat upright, centered, breathed, focused, remembered everything that I know about you and gave you a hug. I hope that it worked.

⤠Thank you so much. You don't know me-just someone you are chatting with on-line. Yet you have shown me empathy, compassion, and concern. It really touches me how much you care. Thank you again.

Cat

Old 01-09-2024, 09:06 AM

187 posts, read 113,332 times
Quote:

I always knew he would leave me-he was 17 years older than me. But I thought it would have been about 10 years from now. I have often thought about what to do when the time came. But what I didn't think about which seems to hit me hard at times is the loneliness. Sometimes I will go days without seeing another human. It's not like this is anything different. I would go days without seeing another human but him and I was fine with that. He was all I needed. Now he is not here and I am having trouble filling that void.

Cat

Cat, I'm very sorry about your husband. My husband was 11 years older than me, so I also expected I'd have less time with him but hoped for more. It just really sucks being without him. Your stepson sounds like a great guy. This was also my first Christmas without my husband, and wouldn't you know it, I got sick a few days before Christmas Eve. While I didn't really want to be sick, part of me was happy not to have to have Christmas dinner with the family.

My best to you.

Old 01-09-2024, 01:59 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
⤠Thank you so much. You don't know me-just someone you are chatting with on-line. Yet you have shown me empathy, compassion, and concern. It really touches me how much you care. Thank you again.

Cat
Gerania seems to be just like that.

Old 01-14-2024, 08:36 AM

A couple of things happened yesterday.

People have been telling me that I need to get involved in something-volunteer. I used to volunteer a long time ago at our local food shelf. In fact, I was in charge of the food shelf. A little back story: I had a lot of issues with the then new director (or should I say she had issues with me) and just made my time there unpleasant so I quit. (Hubby said they pushed me out.) That was about 20 years ago and that director had been long gone. I was thinking of going back. Last year (before... well before) I sent them a healthy check. There wasn't any acknowledgement of it. But they cashed the check. I did send a message to the director about not receiving any acknowledgment about the check. She apologized saying something about how she just got into the position a few months prior. I didn't tell her that I sent the check only about a month prior. It was then I decided that I was done with the organization. No more donations. Nothing.

So now what? The Historical Society. Since before (yes, my life is now divided by Before and After) the Historical Society has been on my radar. This past September, there was a todo in the park that I went to. I stopped by the Historical Society's booth and was talking to them. I said that I was interested but not ready. In fact I started crying when I was talking to them. So whenever someone asks me about getting involved in something, I said that I plan to get involved with the Historical Society when I am ready.

Yesterday, the director of the Historical Society called and invited me to their annual presentation. When I told her about not driving, she said that she will make sure that I have a ride. (The meetings are usually around the corner from here-in fact I can see the building from where I am sitting now so I can walk.) I took the phone call as the Universe sending me a message that maybe it is time to start to jump back into life.

Then something else happened yesterday. I opened a book. It was a young adult book but still a book. (From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler). So instead of doing laundry and sorting crap...er...stuff like I had planned, I read. And I finished the book!

Baby steps. And I am still trying to learn how to play Moonlight Sonata.

Cat

Old 01-14-2024, 09:38 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
A couple of things happened yesterday.

People have been telling me that I need to get involved in something-volunteer. I used to volunteer a long time ago at our local food shelf. In fact, I was in charge of the food shelf. A little back story: I had a lot of issues with the then new director (or should I say she had issues with me) and just made my time there unpleasant so I quit. (Hubby said they pushed me out.) That was about 20 years ago and that director had been long gone. I was thinking of going back. Last year (before... well before) I sent them a healthy check. There wasn't any acknowledgement of it. But they cashed the check. I did send a message to the director about not receiving any acknowledgment about the check. She apologized saying something about how she just got into the position a few months prior. I didn't tell her that I sent the check only about a month prior. It was then I decided that I was done with the organization. No more donations. Nothing.

So now what? The Historical Society. Since before (yes, my life is now divided by Before and After) the Historical Society has been on my radar. This past September, there was a todo in the park that I went to. I stopped by the Historical Society's booth and was talking to them. I said that I was interested but not ready. In fact I started crying when I was talking to them. So whenever someone asks me about getting involved in something, I said that I plan to get involved with the Historical Society when I am ready.

Yesterday, the director of the Historical Society called and invited me to their annual presentation. When I told her about not driving, she said that she will make sure that I have a ride. (The meetings are usually around the corner from here-in fact I can see the building from where I am sitting now so I can walk.) I took the phone call as the Universe sending me a message that maybe it is time to start to jump back into life.

Then something else happened yesterday. I opened a book. It was a young adult book but still a book. (From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler). So instead of doing laundry and sorting crap...er...stuff like I had planned, I read. And I finished the book!

Baby steps. And I am still trying to learn how to play Moonlight Sonata.

Cat
This is so funny because I just came across a piece of paper I had about joining our local historical society. There is a "Four Corners" about a mile from my house on which stands a pre-Revolutionary War Episcopal Church with a cemetery of old settlers in the area (I have seen the deed from 1702 when the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Lands bought the land from the local indigenous tribe), a Friends (Quaker) Meeting House from the early 1800s (there was a building or maybe two there previously that had burned, and there are very old graves on the property), an 18th century house that was once an inn and is now a museum, and the town historical society behind the police station on the other corner.

On the Fourth of July, the Declaration of Independence is read at in the yard at the back of the old house/inn, and members of the church dress in costume and stand by the grave of their character and tell about the person's life afterward. The County Historical Society had a table at the reading and was handing out info about joining. I took it, intending to look into it but never did. I might now.

I will also be splitting my time between here and Pittsburgh, while I explore that city, so there's a whole new history for me to learn!

Old 01-15-2024, 08:28 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Hey, the very first vacation I took alone was to the Virginia Historical Triangle! (Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown) I also visited Mt. Vernon and Monticello! I love history!

I even found some graves of some ancestors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning