Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 09:53 AM

14,108 posts, read 2,773,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Read Culture of Critique View Post
Anybody here shoot coons? I have some metal blunts I purchased from 3Rivers Archery I've been wanting to try on raccoons that are constantly in my yard, harassing my cats and stealing their food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Sounds like FUN !! How about a 58gr. 5.56/.223 out of a 17" barrel with a 1.7 twist from 75 yards ? That should do the trick...
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Trust me, one of these little creatures gets hit by a 5.56mm projectile and it isn't doing much suffering...

Thanks I now know why the location...(city, state & zipcodes) are left blank....as well as any other information pertaining to the posters who talk of their "guns" & the killing & torturing of animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 11:38 AM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Food for thought : when all the animals are gone , who is next ? please think before you do something like killing another living creature .
I actually think they do something called reproducing... food for though, what will you do when all the plants/vegetables are gone ?

Old 04-24-2010, 01:08 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
I don't leave cat food out after the cats leave. I go out and bring it in for the next day. Not because of raccoons (which I like) and possums, but because of roaches! I certainly don't want to encourage them to hang around and multiply.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:47 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
Hi folks and Happy Weekend!

~Just your friendly "Hobbies forum" mod here, with a little reminder that rude posts that attack and/or otherwise insult another member aren't tolerated. It's okay to disagree with an idea and/or the OP, but it is NOT okay to call other members names.

Please use the Report Post function if/when needed.

Thanks,

~June: Hobbies Moderator

Old 04-24-2010, 07:18 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Well if you do shoot it, don't waste it! Barbecued coon is wonderful! And yes I am very serious!!! It's great, I've eaten it several times.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:47 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
As hunter trapper, I don't like the OP post much. Coons are fur bearing critters and you can eat them, and use other parts.

I don't know what a blunt is, but if it is intended to wound and cripple an animal, I can't think of what else a blunt would be.

I would rather see the coon killed out right and quickly than be injured to starve to death.

In the past I killed a great many coons for fur and found they were ill, and infected from being wounded with .22's shot gun pellets, and assorted other weapons of man injuries making the pelt worthless.

Then killing at the wrong time of year makes a pelt worthless.

To just kill to discard is a sin in my book, and total waste.

I hope you change your mind, if all these blunts do is maime.

I am 58, but when i turned 6 my Dad gave me a used .22 rifle for my birthday. That same day I killed a small song bird. Rather than take the gun away, as he too was a hunter, he instead made me gut the bird, pluck it and eat it.

Never since have I killed what was not intended to be food, and other parts of many things still deeply important in my current life.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:20 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Well if you do shoot it, don't waste it! Barbecued coon is wonderful! And yes I am very serious!!! It's great, I've eaten it several times.
Uh....Yup, that's a "hobby" alright!

Old 04-25-2010, 01:48 AM

445 posts, read 1,344,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I am 58, but when i turned 6 my Dad gave me a used .22 rifle for my birthday. That same day I killed a small song bird. Rather than take the gun away, as he too was a hunter, he instead made me gut the bird, pluck it and eat it.
There is nothing that can be said to appease the "boo hoo Bambi" types.
Save for the most strident Vegans, they're usually massive hypocrites anyway, so I don't let their emotional outbursts regarding animals concern me much.

Your post there does remind me, though, that hunters often times have a connection to the natural world- and an abiding respect for it- that non-hunters will never, ever understand. The hunters ethic, as displayed by your father, is something that is worthy of a great deal of esteem, as is the lesson he taught you as a young boy; do not kill living things that you don't plan on eating.

There is no more intimate way for a man to commune with the natural world than to go out in its full splendor and harvest his own food, by his own wit. Be it from a garden- or game in the fields- to do this addresses a fundamental part of the nature of man that has run through our veins since time immemorial and no amount of 'civilization' will wring this out of us.

To be certain, the 'urban classes' - with their clueless sensitivities about animals and the natural world- will never understand this. They think that buying a Kayak, signing up for the Sierra club and donating to Greenpeace is enough to 'unpave' their souls and call themselves friends of nature. They aren't.

With this said, I generally do agree that shooting animals for the 'sport of it' is pretty much always wrong and I do recognize that often times, people who like to kill animals will couch their doing so under the guise of it being a 'nuisance animal' - even if it really isn't. Even though its lawful and permitted, I par Wolf Hunters with people who kill elephants or whales. Those are the sorts of men I could look square in the eye and shoot dead without losing much sleep.

So, I'd say to the OP of this thread, if it's a nuisance animal- directly threatening your pets or family- then off it goes. If not, though, then leave it alone. It's OK to share the world with the animals. We don't have to kill every one that dares walk into our backyards.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:07 AM

14,108 posts, read 2,773,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
When I read this earlier it was the first time I've ever heard of...yeah that. I'm serious I never knew people ate Raccoons (swallows) To each his own..... It's still the original poster of this thread that I would like to ask (AGAIN) to please, PLEASE not kill animals simply to try out his new supply of guns and ammunition.

Last edited by tulips4you2; 04-25-2010 at 02:17 AM..

Old 04-25-2010, 05:54 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
tulips, These blunts are some sort of archery tip on an arrow. I am not certain what this is, but i suspect i sort of know. As a lad I had short distance arrows called flu flu's made for hunting wild birds.

Most often these had a blunt tip, made to not pass thru the game and the feathers 'flights' were wrapped arou7nd the arrow shaft, to slow the arrow slowly.

Several motorcycle crashes occured, and I broke my shoulders and collar bones so many times I can't pull a proper legal hunting bow at all anymore.

So since I can't shoot and make a clean fast human kill I don't hunt with a bow at all anymore.

The point, is this isn't about gun hunting.
.................................................. ..

PokerPlayer, Yeah I know how it is these days. Man is remote from his past. I sort of dwell in 1756 thru 1840 roughly. My hunting ethics haven't changed any for a fast clean kill, but the weapons have workiong backwards with woolland skills I have learned in all my life so far.

I have worked backwards to be proficenct with flintlocks, which are my hunting guns of choice for both small game and large game, using several different flinters of course.

Many folks think there are friends with wild life and give nothing for it, while most of the fees to hunt are turned into gain for that type of huntable wild life. IE: Duck Stamps, Upland birds and etc.

Once hunting salt marsh ducks PETA interfeared with me which is illegal, but rather than blow them in to the cops I just asked if they liked the idea of swiming in New England in sea water in February, as my plan was to sink their boat, with them in it. Not with a gun, but since it is as illegal to hit me I was going to pull the cork, and toss it over board. That would have left someone as the little Dutch boy in theory. Of course the outboard would need to be disabled, but I was a car tech at that time too.

All that aside, these days game to me is much more than just meat. A deer is a sprit first of all as is a coon as is a bird, and so if I must take the life I must also use all of the body so much as i can and then respect that life in prauer, and honor it in a token made from the body. A sort of very ancient way of dealing with taking life.

So a deer is a tool kit, where the brain makes the leather as velvet like brain tan hides, a very nice material to wear. I do sew and mac mocs, leggins, dresses, pants, and shirts, and etc.

I also make hide glue, which on a bvery bad day I could eat. I use the bones for what ever they suit, ie: game counters, sewwing awls, which the 'ulna bone is just a natural for this job, quill flateners for quillers. i don't quill, as my fingers are usually burnd to a polish from metals working.

I make bow drill of the longer rib bones as well. Deer have cloven hoofs and of these i can maake tips of a knive sheath inside the sheath or outside, which ever suits the work.

As well these same hooves make a musical instrument as rattles, which work well with deer raw hide drums I make, and assorted other parts and pieces for 1,000's of things.

The same can be said for fish and birds 'if' you are woods wise. A bit over the top for a modern hunter, but I can not be another mans judge, only maybe critique and hope for a change.

I suppose if i saw a man wound with intent, I would offer up to use that same weapon on him with the same intent. Probably a primitive idea, but in many ways I am a primitive man.

I would suppose that a boy in the time my head is in, and caught wounding game by his father, would soon learn what he did was hurting himself, and all other people.

Today however we live in a world where a fast buck, (A buck by the way is a deer hide) is based on waste, and time this waste should occur, which to me, makes most things man makes not worth the buying.

The bambi crew, IMO, should be stripped naked and forced to live in the wild, surviving by what ever they can get. They should live this way with 0 help from man, and find out what nature really is.

Since i have been there for better than 1,095 days all in a row, I know this can be done, with out dying, and is no sentance, but it sure is a challange. The main difference for me, was I wasn't stripped naked and did have some use of primitive tools ahead of time, but i don't need any of that anymore.

In another way man stripped me of what modern man is, and for it my life has changed.

If this is over the top, and strange it is because i am... I won't change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting