Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 12:56 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,231,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulips4you2 View Post
You say they are "harrassing your cats" but Raccoons usually do not prey on domestic cats and dogs.
They may not usually, but I've seen part of a face and one front leg ripped off a young feral kitten by a raccoon (and listened to it die screaming before I could save it). I've also intervened in several stand-offs between raccoons and cats -- in both cases the two animals looked as though they were about to fight -- obviously my cats did not know how downright vicious and mean the typical raccoon can be (i.e. they're essentially small bears).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 01:03 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,231,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
As hunter trapper, I don't like the OP post much. Coons are fur bearing critters and you can eat them, and use other parts.

I don't know what a blunt is, but if it is intended to wound and cripple an animal, I can't think of what else a blunt would be.

I would rather see the coon killed out right and quickly than be injured to starve to death.

In the past I killed a great many coons for fur and found they were ill, and infected from being wounded with .22's shot gun pellets, and assorted other weapons of man injuries making the pelt worthless.

Then killing at the wrong time of year makes a pelt worthless.

To just kill to discard is a sin in my book, and total waste.

I hope you change your mind, if all these blunts do is maime.

I am 58, but when i turned 6 my Dad gave me a used .22 rifle for my birthday. That same day I killed a small song bird. Rather than take the gun away, as he too was a hunter, he instead made me gut the bird, pluck it and eat it.

Never since have I killed what was not intended to be food, and other parts of many things still deeply important in my current life.
A blunt will put a small animal down humanely without ruining the arrow's fletching and also leaving the fur without a hole in it (pelts look just a little tacky with a hole in them made by a broadhead). I'm not certain what all this stuff about crippling/torturing/maiming/etc. animals is all about, but I do not believe I mentioned anything of the sort in my OP.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:24 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I posted it because I HATE people that shoot any animals unless they just use a camera.
You must not have ever been up to your @zz in rabbits, raccoons, or deer . . .

Old 04-26-2010, 08:09 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read Culture of Critique View Post
Anybody here shoot coons? I have some metal blunts I purchased from 3Rivers Archery I've been wanting to try on raccoons that are constantly in my yard, harassing my cats and stealing their food.
In a nutshell, you're leaving food outside and blaming wildlife for your stupidity. Any raccoons you kill are likely fending off other wildlife from using your house for an all-night diner. It's a never-ending situation unless you correct your own behavior. You also shouldn't be leaving food out as it exposes your cats to rabies and other diseases.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:36 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
A blunt will put a small animal down humanely without ruining the arrow's fletching and also leaving the fur without a hole in it (pelts look just a little tacky with a hole in them made by a broadhead). I'm not certain what all this stuff about crippling/torturing/maiming/etc. animals is all about, but I do not believe I mentioned anything of the sort in my OP.

As I said i didn't understand what a blunt was. One take I had was that many people, maybe not you, but still many people get the idea that they can discourage wild beasts with a variety of things that cause trama and pain, and some how relate that this crippling effect is humane.

If the blunt's objective is a clean fast kill, then I have almost no problem, but would still hate to see the animals wasted, more so to protect cats.

I like and have had many cats too, but they are no part of the wild ecosystem. They are not native and to me the native animals should come first.

I have not judged you, nor will I.

In NH where I live there is a vast population of feral cats. The way they get here, is that summer people bring a house cat, and the cats breed in the wild with other house cats. Often times both the cat brought here by summer people and their off spring are abonded at summers end.

In turn this reduces the native population of birds, rodents, and other native critters, and turns the ecosystem upside down, all out of natural ballance.

You are probably aware.

The way the first post is worded and the busting words lead me to believe, or get the idea this was something other than maybe what it is.

It isn't like I haven't seen bad pelts, infected critters, from man's abuse before. Once i saw a teen male all proud of himself for killing 3 baby skunks still blind from birth, which to me is sickening.

To me the term busting was a poor choice of wording, leading to these words which are just an opinion of someone you will probably never meet, so it shouldn't hurt at all.

My hope is you are not what I am discribing.
.................................................. .

lchoro, 2 winters back while plowing snow, on the 1/2 mile driveway, I came on to a heap of garbage, which i found curious. The better part of this was salad with dressing, and frozen solid. It did contain some bones and bits of what seemed to be chicken.

In my way I sort of paid attention to this mess in my driveway, and in a few days caught a woman dropping off more. I told her this isn't the dump.

She said she was feeding wild life, and so I told her maybe she should research, and see what wild life eats chicken and salad with dressings before her garabage attracted wild animals i would shoot. You should have seen the look that woman gave me when I said that! No more garbage appeared in the night after that.

In another place and another time I had horses. A part of the paddock ran near the road, and one day out riding I found of all things what appeared to be clam chower, evidently someone thought hourse would like clam chowder. I can't say I enjoyed the yellow jackets and wasps that had gathered for the meal, and or that I wanted or needed vermin that might be attracted to this mess in with my horses, but it never appeared again.

It does make me wonder what people think though. So far in 54 years of being around horses I have never once seen one, interested in clams.

If the person who did this act, somehow reads this, all I can say is that I like clams, and would prefer you feed them to me.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:18 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quit leaving food outside. You expose your cats to a risk of rabies. Raccoons often have rabies. It's generally illegal to relocate them for that reason.

Furthermore, domestic cats are very bad for wildlife (particularly birds), and shouldn't be allowed to roam freely.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:20 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
There are many ways to rid one of racoons in the yard.
Would you mind listing those 'many ways'? Please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
In a nutshell, you're leaving food outside and blaming wildlife for your stupidity. Any raccoons you kill are likely fending off other wildlife from using your house for an all-night diner. It's a never-ending situation unless you correct your own behavior. You also shouldn't be leaving food out as it exposes your cats to rabies and other diseases.
Coons and skunks will enter yards even without food available. We have them around here all the time. They pass through our yard every night and there is no food anywhere but wild rabbits. We aren't out in the woods either.

A couple years ago a rabid coon approached our neighbor when she parked her car after being away.

My cousin used to coon hunt at night with hounds when I was growing up. They lived next door to us and we could hear his hounds all night when he was out.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:22 PM

14,108 posts, read 2,773,388 times
Quote:
They may not usually, but I've seen part of a face and one front leg ripped off a young feral kitten by a raccoon (and listened to it die screaming before I could save it). I've also intervened in several stand-offs between raccoons and cats -- in both cases the two animals looked as though they were about to fight -- obviously my cats did not know how downright vicious and mean the typical raccoon can be (i.e. they're essentially small bears).

Stop leaving food out and start controlling your feral cat population.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:25 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
I've had both a raccoon and a possum or two eat beside the outdoor neighborhood cats, and they all got along. I know it's just anecdotal evidence, and it seldom happens because I live well inside of Fort Worth and wildlife is scarce. Maybe it's just the mellow vibes I emanate. (Fat chance!)

Old 04-29-2010, 04:29 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I posted it because I HATE people that shoot any animals unless they just use a camera.

But you think its ok to suggest a person be shot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting