Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 10:26 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,346,945 times

Advertisements

Somebody told me one time that the best way to find a good stylist is, is you see someone whose hairstyle you like, ask her where she gets it done and who does it.
I live in a tourist town so unfortunately, the people I ask all live out of town or state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 10:33 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
I haven't been to a stylist in years. But if I ever got a haircut that I was happy with, I would think that it would be a great idea to have someone take a picture (or pictures) of it to show the stylist before the next cut. Even if you tip them well, they see a ton of clients and they aren't going to remember exactly what they did to your hair the previous month.

I also feel that some stylist cut the hair in a way that it will look better as it grows in, but also last longer between cuts.

And sometimes, the haircut isn't really that bad, but just different enough from the expectation to upset the customer. There is no one best hair cut for anyone. I would think that being a stylist is stressful (I loved that scene in Hairspray with the client wanting something regal, and getting the Cleopatra do!). In high school, my mom would make me cut her hair and also help her perm it. My mom would be relaxed, but I was very afraid of giving her an odd or uneven looking haircut.

Did Greenie ever post pics of her new cut?

Old 12-09-2007, 12:41 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,403,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
In high school, my mom would make me cut her hair and also help her perm it. My mom would be relaxed, but I was very afraid of giving her an odd or uneven looking haircut.
Guess what? You're my new hairdresser. Either you or Puffle.
I'm not wasting money on any "professionals" again.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:32 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Guess what? You're my new hairdresser. Either you or Puffle.
I'm not wasting money on any "professionals" again.
Actually, I've given my dogs their haircuts for years, and I use scissors, not electric clippers.

I'd want Puffle to cut your hair first. Otherwise, I had friends who would get their hair cut in Wellesley at the cheap Supercuts place. They would take the T in from Beacon Hill in Boston every month. So I would recommend that place before I would volunteer to cut your hair. I don't need the stress!!!

Old 12-12-2007, 03:43 AM

127 posts, read 378,435 times
Oh this has been the story of my life - bad haircuts. My hair is curly and they usually cut it too short and then it shrinks up when it's dry. But the biggest problem I have is that they all are still giving me the Jennifer Aniston Friends cut even though I ask for shags

Old 12-12-2007, 12:09 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,643,185 times
I totally fell the pain, Greenie. I live in a city with 200K population, and have been to at least a dozen places with poor results. Finally found someone who is acceptable with cutting hair. I need to get my hair highlighted and will be sitting on pins and needles to see how she does coloring. What are the salon schools teaching these days I wonder? I am in middle age and they all want to give me a Rod Stewart punk cut!!

Old 12-19-2007, 06:19 PM

187 posts, read 614,121 times
Default I wish i could help

Im sorry to all of you that have so many issues. First of all Green machine, IM sorry, and kay, right on for giving some faith to us who really do love what we do. As for High and tights, every stylist ive gotten right out of school dont even know how to cut mens hair. And Men dont know how to explain a haircut, you would think it was science or something.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:47 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
I spent my whole life getting horrible hair cuts at places like Great Clips. Recently, I wanted to cut about a foot off (I had gotten so sick of getting bad haircuts that I just let it GROW!!) so I hunted down a really good salon in Boston. The problem with Boston (and probably other big cities) is there is an overload of the uber trendy, ritzy, expensive salons. I managed to find a salon with great reviews and decent price.

While the hair cut I got is NOT what I wanted (apparently my hair when short loses ALL of the gorgeous ringlet curls it has from shoulder length and longer), it looks decent. It doesn't look bad but it's more work than I'd like- I can't just scrunch and go, I have to blow dry and style. It also has really short layers (tops of my ears while my hair is a little bit longer than my chin) so I can't even really get pin curls to look decent. I'm still trying and playing with it though! I probably won't try out another place because I don't want to hunt down another salon that's laid back and reasonably priced that doesn't butcher my hair!

Old 12-20-2007, 02:29 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,294,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
there's always those Christmas headbands with the Reindeer Antlers !!!
Now that reminded me of something funny...last week while in the supermarket, my friend and I spotted a guy wearing the antlers, and my friend thought the antlers WERE his hair. I couldn't stop laughing. It's still funny thinking about it.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:24 AM

4 posts, read 7,148 times
oooh my god .. i like my long hair ,and i will never cut it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care